[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tom Coughlin

slovak

First off I'm not a Giants fan nor do have any G-men on my team so I have no bias. Is this man biggest ass in football or what? (In reference to his bench of Plaxico in the first quarter for being late to a meeting) Is he trying to win football games or teach manners? He should be coaching midget football not grown men at the highest level :D

(In reference to his bench of Plaxico in the first quarter for being late to a meeting) Is he trying to win football games or teach manners? He should be coaching midget football not grown men at the highest level :D

1026204[/snapback]

i disagree with that. he is trying to work with a team of men, not a team of 4th graders.

The problem with these millionaire players is you can't fine them. What if instead of being benched for a quarter, Burress had been fined for 1000$... does it really make a difference ? I personally agree with the idea of benching the guy but not for a whole quarter.

How hard is it for these guys to show up on time anyway ? Is it so much to ask ?

"Nobody really wants to be late, but sometimes things happen and you just control what you can control," Burress said. "If it happens again, it happens. It's not like I'm trying to be late on purpose."

Well at least it was not on purpose ...

As a Giants fan I have no problem with the benching. If you allow people to bend and break your rules then what is the point of having rules. Football is a more of team sport than any of the other 4 major sports. New England and the Carolina from last year are perfect examples of how you get more out of each player when they learn to play as a team instead of individuals. The Giant players need a big adjustment in this regard.

As a Giants fan I have no problem with the benching.  If you allow people to bend and break your rules then what is the point of having rules.  Football is a more of team sport than any of the other 4 major sports.  New England and the Carolina from last year are perfect examples of how you get more out of each player when they learn to play as a team instead of individuals.  The Giant players need a big adjustment in this regard.

1026460[/snapback]

Yeah this worked real well for him in jacksonville, right before he was chased out of town like he was a leper.

Yeah this worked real well for him in jacksonville, right before he was chased out of town like he was a leper.

1026555[/snapback]

did his team perform well when he was there? It is not about winning a popularity contest. Maybe you like to be coddled, but I would perfer if someone told me like it is.

Edited by Bree22

Burress had this reputation in Pittsburgh as well.  Coughlin is trying to teach him a lesson.  I agree with it.

1026495[/snapback]

I agree with it too. I heard an interview on WFAN with Coughlin today, and he said Burress was late to two meetings before the benching, not just one. He decided to make his point after the second time, and I can't blame him for that.

Isn't Coughlin from a military background or am I just buying into the way he's portrayed? If thats the case, its obvious why he is the way he is. Be on time. Its not that hard. If the game is as important to Burress as it is to Coughlin, he would be on time. If 'things come up' the way Burress claims they do, why don't things every come up to make Coughlin late?

I agree with it too. 

1026612[/snapback]

Count me as agreeing with it too. If the lazy superstar bum can't get his ass to work on time, as millions of us peons do, then make the point the way it needs to be made. It beats being fired, which is what happens to most people late twice in one week.

You're new to football huh?

Do you know how long he coached there? Do you know his record?

How long was he unemployed?

And you want to compare plaxico to being man to coughlin? :D Plax is a punk.

You're new to football huh?

Do you know how long he coached there?  Do you know his record?

How long was he unemployed?

And you want to compare plaxico to being man to coughlin?  :D  Plax is a punk.

1027853[/snapback]

I think you are the one that must be new to football.....everyone and their mother knows that the success that expansion teams carolina and jacksonville had early on is because they were given a huge advantage by the NFL to not suck, extra picks and what not that were not given to past or future expansion clubs so :D

Many people do not know much about Plaxico's attitude. IMO he makes TO look like Joe Montana (attitudewise). the guy is a moron . He was like this at Michigan State and it just got worse in Pittsburgh. He and Coughlin will never coexist.

My favorite Plaxico moment was when he caught a pass when he was with pittsburgh and spiked it celebrating before even running out of bounds.fumble and Pitt loses the ball.

In New york with the press there he will make him and Coughlin look bad all year long.

He should be coaching midget football not grown men at the highest level :D

1026204[/snapback]

As far as I know, "grown men at the highest level" own watches, know how to tell time and are punctual to meetings.

Clearly with Plaxico, Coughlin is not dealing with a "grown man at the highest level" :D

Plaxatool

1028352[/snapback]

:D Good one Duchess!

I agree with Coughlin. I agree with Ursa; many of us peons make it to work everyday on time...why can't Plaxatool? Why should he receive any preferential treatment?

slovak, how do you think he should be treated? How would you deal with an employee that did this? :D

Is he trying to win football games or teach manners? He should be coaching midget football not grown men at the highest level :D

1026204[/snapback]

The problem is Burress is not acting like a grown man. How many times has this dumb a$$ done stupid things like this? If Coughlin just lets his tardiness go then his hard line coaching style doesn't mean sh!t.

First off, I'm a Giants fan.

Secondly, Coughlin didn't hurt the team with the rules ... Plaxico hurt the team by twice breaking a team rule. He was irresponsible (no surprise) and paid the consequences. Plax had a history of this in Pittsburgh, and Coughlin had to make a strong statement. He did.

Besides, the problem w/the Giants on Sunday was clearly the defensive side of the ball. So unless Burress can suddenly cover all-pro TEs, and tackle LaDanian, this is a complete non-issue in terms of the effect on Sunday's game ...

It's also worth noting, that apparently, on Sirius Radio last night (The Barber Shop), Tiki Barber said in an interview that before the game, Coughlin took him, Strahan, Toomer, and Shaun O'hara into a room, and told them what he was thinking of doing ie: the Plaxico benching. He said they all agreed that it was the appropriate thing to do.

Edited by soulrebel

I think you are the one that must be new to football

1028286[/snapback]

He's also new to the concept of forming intelligible sentences...

And you want to compare plaxico to being man to coughlin?

1027853[/snapback]

:D:D

Edited by Bill Swerski

Alright slovak, it's becoming obvious that your intense hatred of Tom Coughlin goes much deeper than his benching of Burress. You can level with us at The Huddle....did he do something inappropriate when you were a kid? :D Maybe he benched Brunnell and he was your favorite player at the time?

Edited by major-tom

Alright slovak, it's becoming obvious that your intense hatred of Tom Coughlin goes much deeper than his benching of Burress.  You can level with us at The Huddle....did he do something inappropriate when you were a kid? :D  Maybe he benched Brunnell and he was your favorite player at the time?

1028579[/snapback]

yep you got me.. I'ts me Plaxico :D

Slovak, Coughlin has to keep the guys in line. Can't show preferential treatment to one player. If Coughlin let Plaxico's tardiness to team meetings go without punishment, he'd have to let every other swinging johnson on the team do the same. As mentioned, a monetary fine is a joke with these guys. Best way to deal with team rule infractions is to publicly shame the offending player and how better to do that, than announce a starting suspension on National TV because poor widdle Plaxico has a hard time getting to meetings on time.

It's certainly not an unprecedented Coaching move. Marvin Johnson did the exact same thing with Rudi Johnson a couple of games ago.

Now where I am in 100% agreement with you, is for how long the suspension lasted. An entire quarter! :D That actually ended up penalizing the entire Giants offense.

But to be honest, the way Chargers offense was firing on all cylinders combined with the way the Giants D forgot to show up, I'm not sure Plaxico being on the bench for the 1st quarter, really made in difference to the outcome of the game.

Best way to deal with team rule infractions is to publicly shame the offending player

1028655[/snapback]

I've already said that I agree with Coughlin. Curiously, though, the above is straight out of the manual "How Not To Deal With A Troublesome Employee". Managers should praise in public, rip new one in private.

Yet Coughlin is still right. Paradox or what? Is it because of the wage level - a private ripping is ineffective for a millionaire, whereas it works for someone that really needs the job? :D