[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb will need surgery

Wolv

ESPN

Donovan McNabb has an abdominal strain that will likely need surgery, but the Eagles' medical staff said the star quarterback can play if he can handle the pain.

Trainer Rick Burkholder said rest will not fix the problem. While McNabb will experience discomfort, Burkholder said McNabb does not have to be sidelined now for the sports hernia.

"We're hoping it's something we'll be able to manage," Burkholder said.

Philadelphia's Pro Bowl quarterback is expected to start Sunday against Kansas City.

McNabb was tested last week for the sports hernia, a tear in the abdominal area, but coach Andy Reid called the injury an abdominal strain after the Eagles' win over Oakland.

McNabb went to Boston on Tuesday for another opinion and it was confirmed he has a sports hernia. McNabb is willing to play through the pain.

"I'm ready to go," McNabb said Wednesday. "I don't have any concerns right now. It's just something you have to deal with and realize some days you'll feel great and some days you won't."

McNabb hoped to delay surgery.

"If I can avoid it, I definitely will avoid it," McNabb said. "If that's the case that I have to have it, then it will happen."

McNabb didn't know when he first hurt the area. He came into training camp with soreness in his abdomen. He seemed to be fine until the second game against San Francisco, when the injury was aggravated.

McNabb also is playing with soreness in his chest and a shin contusion.

The injury hasn't affected McNabb's performance too much. Against the 49ers, he matched his career best with five TD passes and threw for 342 yards while playing three quarters.

Against the Raiders, McNabb finished with 365 yards passing and two touchdowns while throwing a career-high 52 passes.

Reid said he would be smart with how he handles McNabb.

"If it ends up where he can't function, then we'll shut him down," Reid said.

Edited by Wolv

Isn't this something that at the end of the year, it could come out that "Donavan is having surgery, he has been playing through the pain since week 2, what a trooper, etc."?

I don't get the advantage of releasing this information, it is only giving opposing defenses a target.

Maybe it's the fact that we get no information from Bellichick in NE, I don't know.

Any word on how long he would be out if he got the surgery?

1027855[/snapback]

Read something awhile back that sports hernia injuries are a fairly long recovery.

Not sure what they meant, but they alluded that it is NOT the kinda of surgery you could do during the season and expect to come back.

I think it's a 4-6 week recovery period. There has been a lot of talk locally in support of him just getting it done now, miss 2 games, plus a BYE in week 6, and maybe week 7-then be good to go for the whole 2nd half, playoffs, Super Bowl, etc.

but looks like he's going to (excuse the pun) gut it out for now.

:D Painful injury that will not get better until it is fixed...in fact will in all likelyhood become worse as he plays and gets hammered or tries to put alot of zip on the ball or throw long, it will possibly tear the tissue more allowing the protruding tissue to enlarge. I am sure he will be numbed up alot...which is scary :D IMO. I pulled a stomach muscle in college once playing volleyball. I consider myself to have a fairly high threshold of pain, but it dropped me to the ground as if someone stuck a knife in my belly. And then...after I recoved from that initial hot knife pain, I felt fine, but when I would use my stomach muscles to hit the ball or serve...dang it doubled me over. No surgery needed just lots of rest. Never had a hernia but some of you guys can probably talk about what that was like...ouch!! :D

Well, I've got McNabb in two of my leagues with my backups being Bledsoe in one league (Bledsoe has actually scored about a half point more in the first three games :D), and I have Brooks and McNair in the other. I'd hate to see him go down...he's gonna put up numbers each week with consistency, unlike my other options.

There are a few types of these hernia's and they havn't really specified which one it is. Has anyone seen a report telling where the location of McNabb's hernia is? If its in the abdominal area, like what Jerry Porter had 2 years ago, its painful and takes a while to heal as the repair usually is to stitch a plastic material to bridge the wall of your abdomine that has torn to prevent the intestines from coming out. Thats not even bad as the worse case hernia is the one that develops through the scrotum area.....you can just image the pain with that one and I'm sure he won't be able to even walk if it gets worse.

McNabb may be a timebomb now, so it may be best to prepare for an alternative for QB if he's your number 1.

Rotoworld . . .

The Eagles have confirmed that Donovan McNabb has a sports hernia that will eventually require surgery.

The injury, first reported by Fox on Sunday, will continue to get worse as the season goes along. At this point, there is no reason to think McNabb can't play well through the pain. If you can get equal trade value for McNabb as a top five QB, it's not a terrible idea to sell high. It's worth considering McNabb could rest during the fantasy playoffs if the Eagles happen to clinch the NFC East early. Sep. 28 - 2:06 pm et

WOW. They're already saying he might miss some of the fantasy playoffs. It's only Week 4 :D

SELL !!!

A sports hernia takes longer than 4-6 weeks to heal after the surgery. This is very bad news for McNabb. I don't think there is any way he makes it through the season with it. Lots of guys have tried (Matt Birk for example). In the past couple years for the Colts, Joseph Jefferson and Ben Utecht both had sports hernia operations and missed the whole season on IR. The Colts currently have TWO guys on the PUP list who had sports hernia operations, linebacker Tyjuan Hagler and defensive tackle Josh Williams. They both missed all of the preseason and will miss the first 6 weeks of the season at least. Chris Perry of the Bengals missed much of his rookie year with the same thing, I think.

Edited by CaptainHook

Mcmahon is light years better than Detmer....he can't even throw over the DL...

1027761[/snapback]

As a Lion fan I have seen McMahon play. you think Harrington is erratic wait til you get a load of McMahon. IMO his best service to a team would be as a kick returner/punt returner because this guy is lost at QB.

There is no doubt in my mind that if McNabb goes down it will be Detmer starting. in fact I bet they bring in another QB real soon just in case.

As a Lion fan I have seen McMahon play. you think Harrington is erratic wait til you get a load of McMahon. IMO his best service to a team would be as a kick returner/punt returner because this guy is lost at QB.

There is no doubt in my mind that if McNabb goes down it will be Detmer starting. in fact I bet they bring in another QB real soon just in case.

1029070[/snapback]

I believe Mike McMahon would start if McNabb was out. Detmer is listed as #2 because he holds FG kicks. If he was listed as the #3 and he goes in, even to hold kicks, the #1 and #2 are not allowed to see the field.

Tony Bats Post 9/28/05 08:16pm

Veteran

Group: Members

You have chosen to ignore Tony Bats. View this post · Squeeze me a little harder Tony Bats

I believe Mike McMahon would start if McNabb was out. Detmer is listed as #2 because he holds FG kicks. If he was listed as the #3 and he goes in, even to hold kicks, the #1 and #2 are not allowed to see the field.

1029090[/snapback]

If for some odd reason they did start McMahon over Detmer it would last about a whole half before they switched back over. The guy is horrible.