[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Ridiculous Trade Offerer

raoul duke

Every league's got the "cagey" manager who reads the news about Kurt Warner and then offers you Larry Fitzgerald for, in my case, Roy Williams. Counters are always refused (none in this case), but any comment I make on stupid trade offers seems to be ignored as evidenced by what comes down the pike later in the season. Keep trying to make deals or scratch him off the list?

I would never take another owner off the "potential trade" block...you never know when you'll have a leg up on him.

Just know your stuff and thank him for the offer. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. (can't remember who said that but it wasn't me.)

Edited by I Like Soup

Every league's got the "cagey" manager who reads the news about Kurt Warner and then offers you Larry Fitzgerald for, in my case, Roy Williams. Counters are always refused (none in this case), but any comment I make on stupid trade offers seems to be ignored as evidenced by what comes down the pike later in the season. Keep trying to make deals or scratch him off the list?

1028678[/snapback]

I don't see what's "cagey" about it at all, i'd rather have the "next guy" throw to my WR then Harrington anyways. :D

I don't see what's "cagey" about it at all, i'd rather have the "next guy" throw to my WR then Harrington anyways.  :D

1028708[/snapback]

Really...Fitz and Rogers both have big ole 'ifs' next to their names IMO...don't really think this is a ridiculous trade offer at all, maybe somewhat tilted, but not ridculous...

I would never take another owner of the "potential trade" block...you never know when you'll have a leg up on him.

Just know your stuff and thank him for the offer.  Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. (can't remember who said that but it wasn't me.)

1028688[/snapback]

I believe it was Marlon Brando, The Godfather

I usually counter with an equally ridiculous offer only tilted in my favor. That usually gets your point across.

The guy who make these rediculous offers has a serious personality flaw. There is no point to ever try to trade with this person. If there is a guy in your league that thinks a hurt Nate Burleson and Donte Stallworth for Dom. Davis is a fair offer, then you know there is no point in ever thinking you will ever get a fair trade with them. A person like that has one goal in mind. Screw you in the trade to make their team better by hoping you are a moron. In fact, look to replace them next year. They are public enemy #1. They will ruin your league. No league is fun with a know it al ass in it like this. The best thing to do is to get everyone else to boycot trades with this guy and force him to ride the year out with who he has. If he never gets a trade done by using these BS tactics, and can not win, then maybe he will change.

Edited by poolguard

:D at some of the people that whine about crappy trade offers. It's part of the game, say it with me...offer+counter-offer = negotiations. You've got to start some where. I wonder how many have missed out on a possible good trade, because they thought they knew so much they didn't bother to start a dialogue with the person who may have had the intent to start with a low offer and work their way up to something both teams could find beneficial.

I'll listen to any offer no matter how ridiculous it sounds. The people I hate are the ones that don't respond to trade offers. :D

The guy who make these rediculous offers has a serious personality flaw.  There is no point to ever try to trade with this person.  If there is a guy in your league that thinks a hurt Nate Burleson and Donte Stallworth for Dom. Davis is a fair offer, then you know there is no point in ever thinking you will ever get a fair trade with them.  A person like that has one goal in mind.  Screw you in the trade to make their team better by hoping you are a moron.  In fact, look to replace them next year.  They are public enemy #1.  They will ruin your league.  No league is fun with a know it al ass in it like this. The best thing to do is to get everyone else to boycot trades with this guy and force him to ride the year out with who he has.  If he never gets a trade done by using these BS tactics, and can not win, then maybe he will change.

1029475[/snapback]

I'm not a fan of the ridic trade offers, but the above view is a bit much. Like someone said earlier, never a good idea to straight up refuse to trade with someone b/c they make bad offers - most of the time they know they're terrible offers and are merely looking for a counter. Anyway, I've ended up trading with these guys a few times - sometimes they just have a ridiculously warped sense of what's fair. They can give you 5 asinine offers, but then that 6th one might actually be in your favor . . . it's happened to me in the past.

The best thing to do is to get everyone else to boycot trades with this guy and force him to ride the year out with who he has.

1029475[/snapback]

...and what are your thoughts on colusion?

You mean the guy who offered me Andre Johnson and Randle-El for Westbrook and Cadillac today...twice?

I counter nicely...with a trade that could help both of us.

No, it didn't work, but at least the door's open for the future.

It was pretty tempting to yell and scream and rant...but this way, I can win one over on him in the future.

You've got to start some where. I wonder how many have missed out on a possible good trade, because they thought they knew so much they didn't bother to start a dialogue with the person who may have had  the intent to start with a low offer and work their way up to something both teams could find beneficial.

1029651[/snapback]

I generally agree, but there's low, and then there's insulting: like the Dallas Clark, Burleson, McGahee for Culpepper, Gates trade he offered after week 1 (when I had horrible WRs and no backup QB). What blows my mind is that one person can field bad offers to an entire league—over multiple years—and still not learn to engage in a meaningful dialogue. I used to be in a league with a guy who's most common bargaining technique was "But it's <fill in underperforming aging star>!" Funny thing is, he quit one Thanksgiving and his unmanaged team won the championship.

I'm all for getting the advantage over someone: in most trades, each person privately probably thinks they're getting the best of the other. What I really hate is when that guy cons the one sucker in the league into a horrible trade that affects everyone else's season.

Really...Fitz and Rogers both have big ole 'ifs' next to their names IMO...don't really think this is a ridiculous trade offer at all, maybe somewhat tilted, but not ridculous...

1028737[/snapback]

A little more ridiculous when you sober up and realize that he said Roy Willims and not Charles Rogers.... :D:D:D

EDITED: To deliberatly not correct me smelling. :D

Edited by Turf Smurf

1028678[/snapback]

Maybe I'm missing somehting but what was so "ridiculous" about Fitz for Roy? Fitz has put up pretty nice numbers (20, 266, 1TD), Roy hasn't (7, 109, 1 TD), and he's trying to sell high now that Warner's out, and hopes that Harrington turns it around and Roy picks up the pace. I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that trade offer, except for the fact that you were chafed that he thought you WEREN'T up on the latest NFL news (Warner injury). Would I take it on your end? No, but I'd put these guys on pretty equal levels -- great talent, have shown more than occasional flashes of greatness, buth have HUUUUUUUUUGH QB problems hampering their development. If he had offered William Green and Fitz for your Moss, Holt, Owens, or S.Smith, that is my idea of a ridiculous offer, but Fitz for Roy is nothing to get all bent about. :D If you shoot back an angry "eff you!" email, then you've lost a potential trading partner down the line.

Edited by msaint

The guy who make these rediculous offers has a serious personality flaw.  There is no point to ever try to trade with this person.  If there is a guy in your league that thinks a hurt Nate Burleson and Donte Stallworth for Dom. Davis is a fair offer, then you know there is no point in ever thinking you will ever get a fair trade with them.  A person like that has one goal in mind.  Screw you in the trade to make their team better by hoping you are a moron.  In fact, look to replace them next year.  They are public enemy #1.  They will ruin your league.  No league is fun with a know it al ass in it like this. The best thing to do is to get everyone else to boycot trades with this guy and force him to ride the year out with who he has.  If he never gets a trade done by using these BS tactics, and can not win, then maybe he will change.

1029475[/snapback]

there is someone in my league like this...he drafted 3 defenses and always tries to offer one for someone of the likes in Edgerrin James and names of the likeness....

Maybe I'm missing somehting but what was so "ridiculous" about Fitz for Roy? Fitz has put up pretty nice numbers (20, 266, 1TD), Roy hasn't (7, 109, 1 TD), and he's trying to sell high now that Warner's out, and hopes that Harrington turns it around and Roy picks up the pace. I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that trade offer, except for the fact that you were chafed that he thought you WEREN'T up on the latest NFL news (Warner injury). Would I take it on your end? No, but I'd put these guys on pretty equal levels -- great talent, have shown more than occasional flashes of greatness, buth have HUUUUUUUUUGH QB problems hampering their development. If he had offered William Green and Fitz for your Moss, Holt, Owens, or S.Smith, that is my idea of a ridiculous offer, but Fitz for Roy is nothing to get all bent  about. :D If you shoot back an angry "eff you!" email, then you've lost a potential trading partner down the line.

1029988[/snapback]

if anything, McCown is better than Harrington..