[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Own T. Jones or C. Benson?

yo mama

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bearin28.html

Thomas Jones owners, rejoice!

<highlighted excerpt>

"We know who Cedric is, and you don't draft a guy there unless you have plans for him down the line,'' Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "But you have to go on what is happening right now. You have a running back who has rushed for 100 yards two games in a row. You can't kick him out of the house.''

"Thomas is a pretty good player,'' running backs coach Tim Spencer said. "You aren't going to walk in and beat Thomas out. He's a professional. He's a player, and he makes plays for us.

"I know when you draft a guy with the fourth pick of the first round, you expect him to play. But if you want him to be a player, don't give the guy a job. Make him earn it. And when he earns it -- if he earns it -- then he is the guy. But in my estimation right now, he has a ways to go.''

From the mouths of Bears, my friends.

Edited by yo mama

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cst-spt-bearin28.html

Thomas Jones owners, rejoice!

<highlighted excerpt>

"We know who Cedric is, and you don't draft a guy there unless you have plans for him down the line,'' Bears coach Lovie Smith said. "But you have to go on what is happening right now. You have a running back who has rushed for 100 yards two games in a row. You can't kick him out of the house.''

"Thomas is a pretty good player,'' running backs coach Tim Spencer said. "You aren't going to walk in and beat Thomas out. He's a professional. He's a player, and he makes plays for us.

"I know when you draft a guy with the fourth pick of the first round, you expect him to play. But if you want him to be a player, don't give the guy a job. Make him earn it. And when he earns it -- if he earns it -- then he is the guy. But in my estimation right now, he has a ways to go.''

From the mouths of Bears, my friends.

1029942[/snapback]

Heres the rest of story yo mama cut out:

Spencer said the Bears have a plan for getting the two on the field together, but not in a conventional I-formation with one player moving to fullback.

"We have all the things, the tools and packages, to get both of those guys in,'' Spencer said. "It's just a matter of plotting where we want to. When we get to that point, we will. And we're trying to get there.''

I drafted Benson, but have had a sinking feeling about him with TJ being so productive.

He was productive last year considering he faced 8-9 man fronts all year. I never understood why the Bears drafted a RB with their first pick. Not like a new RB would fare much better facing those same fronts.

As much as I want Benson to play, the Bears need to stick with TJ - he's earned it.

Heres the rest of  story  yo mama cut out:

Spencer said the Bears have a plan for getting the two on the field together, but not in a conventional I-formation with one player moving to fullback.

"We have all the things, the tools and packages, to get both of those guys in,'' Spencer said. "It's just a matter of plotting where we want to. When we get to that point, we will. And we're trying to get there.''

1030097[/snapback]

I also read a article that said they are going out of their way to get Benson more plays. As you wrote they are planning on using them together on some plays.

The Bears have a easy schedule in the next few games with Cle,Minn,Det,N.O.,S.F., with a Baltimore(as their only hard defense) game sandwiched in between those. Jones should do well enough to keep his job til around week 11 and after when the Bears schedule gets tougher. If the Bears for some reason fall out of the playoff race I could see Benson taking over around week 12 or so.

I have Benson in five out of six leagues.  I'll keep him too - Jones is doing great, but he isn't impervious to injury.

1030170[/snapback]

What happened last year when Thomas Jones' production dropped dramtically? I remember him being a top 3 back during the first 5-6 games or so. Was it injury or just lack of production?

What happened last year when Thomas Jones' production dropped dramtically?  I remember him being a top 3 back during the first 5-6 games or so.  Was it injury or just lack of production?

1030371[/snapback]

8-9 man fronts after Grossman went down and teams no longer had to respect the pass.

I've always thought the Benson pick was stupid.  With so many other needs to be addressed, why on Earth did they pick a guy a the one position that they had successfully spent money on in free agency?  They should've went with Mike Williams.

1030143[/snapback]

They had just signed Muhsin to big money in the off-season. The Bears LOVED Cedric, they got their man on draft day.

precisely why any sportagent that has a rookie under his wing should never hold out. every other player renegotiates after a few yrs. i would, as a sports agent, rather see him hold out in yr 3 as opposed to his first yr. i was worried about this going into week 2, and after jones had another good week, its easy to see why benson will be 2nd fiddle for a while longer.

from fanball:

THE NEWS

The Bears have two weeks to prepare their struggling offense for the Browns in week five, and Cedric Benson's role will be one the Bears focus on in practice. "We're going to bring him along," offensive coordinator Ron Turner told the Daily Herald. "Now we've got a couple days this week to do that. He's still going to be a big factor, and we'll definitely get him in the mix." Turner also told the Daily Southtown that they will be exploring ways to get both Benson and starter Thomas Jones on the field at the same time. "There's no sense having both on the sidelines. We'll definitely get them in [together] at some point."

Our View

With the Bears once again ranking near the bottom of the league in several offensive categories, there's no possible way that they can ignore the fact that their first-round draft pick is sitting on the sideline. Thanks to Jones' second straight 100-yard game, Benson didn't carry in week three, but it's too early to give up on Cedric just yet.