[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little wine help please

Hankk

ooh, i hope twiley has a good comeback!  nothing more entertaining than watching two wine snobs argue about which floral notes better accentuate macadamia-crusted halibut :D:D

1155252[/snapback]

Kind of like a good beer discussion... but with wine???

:D

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

prob one of my favorite grapes!!!!

1155274[/snapback]

The wife and I may have to have you and the wife over again, but for dinner... we can maybe raid my wine cellar and do some pairings! I'd invite Az, but we know how he feels about wine! Maybe Atomic...?

The wife and I may have to have you and the wife over again, but for dinner... we can maybe raid my wine cellar and do some pairings! I'd invite Az, but we know how he feels about wine! Maybe Atomic...?

1155280[/snapback]

there's a good chance my schedule will be adjusted to having sat/sun off :D

we'll talk....

there's a good chance my schedule will be adjusted to having sat/sun off  :D

we'll talk....

1155285[/snapback]

I thought the Sat/Sunday off was suppose to happen a long time ago!!

Sounds good!

A group of us are going to Opus Friday night to visit my friend Michael and enjoy his Prix Fixe menu with wine pairings...

I'd invite Az, but we know how he feels about wine! Maybe Atomic...?

1155280[/snapback]

You can stick Az at the kiddie table and give him some Schlitz with his sloppy joes.

ooh, i hope twiley has a good comeback!  nothing more entertaining than watching two wine snobs argue about which floral notes better accentuate macadamia-crusted halibut :D:D

1155252[/snapback]

Why would I have a good comeback, he had an excellent point and he's a chef. I may know wine but I'm still learning the ways of wine/food pairing. :D

1155280[/snapback]

hey, i like wine! i just haven't yet found too many urges to spend more than 15 bucks or so on a bottle. :D

You can stick Az at the kiddie table and give him some Schlitz with his sloppy joes.

1155298[/snapback]

If I remember it's either Paulaner or Ommegang... Az may not be wine snob, but he does beer right!

hey, i like wine!  i just haven't yet found too many urges to spend more than 15 bucks or so on a bottle. :D

1155307[/snapback]

Good, you can buy the king crab or filets!

temporary hi-jack.....

a month before attending culinary school, mrs and i took a 3 week tour of france. we did a large circle and really did a decent job of experiencing the food/wine of the different regions. i have been thinking about that trip a lot lately and would love to do it again, only now i have the knowledge of how to prepare those local specialities.....

love knocking on those barn doors of the mom-n-pop vintners, and those amazing wine caves.....

Edited by Bier Meister

temporary hi-jack.....

a month before attending culinary school, mrs and i took a 3 week tour of france.  we did a large circle and really did a decent job of experiencing the food/wine of the different regions.  i have been thinging about that trip a lot lately and would love to do it again, only now i have the knowledge of how to prepare those local specialities..... 

love knocking on those barn doors of the mom-n-pop vintners, and those amazing wine caves.....

1155323[/snapback]

We did the same thing in Italy, France and at a later date Germany... some of the family wines in Italy tasted as if they added 1 part dirt and 1 part wine, but I would do it again!

There's nothing wrong with that AND there are quite a few great wines for under $15.

1155314[/snapback]

i guess my experience is just that wines costing 4 times as much sure don't taste 4 times better, if you know what i mean. i'm sure if you're all into it and have a highly trained palette and all that, it's worth it to pay for those smaller gradations. as it is, i pay too much for beer and CDs to let myself get too carried away there..

last weekend i had a bottle of the greg norman shiraz and thought it was awesome.. :D

i guess my experience is just that wines costing 4 times as much sure don't taste 4 times better, if you know what i mean.  i'm sure if you're all into it and have a highly trained palette and all that, it's worth it to pay for those smaller gradations.  as it is, i pay too much for beer and CDs to let myself get too carried away there..

last weekend i had a bottle of the greg norman shiraz and thought it was awesome.. :D

1155343[/snapback]

there are a lot of wines in the $10-20 range that are very good. what i have found is that when we go up in price, there is more consistancy in quality...plus you find a lot that really blow the palette away.....

then, when you find the right pairings (not always expensive wines)....... amazing experiences!!!!

There's nothing wrong with that AND there are quite a few great wines for under $15.

1155314[/snapback]

There are more than a "few" (and you learn how to find them when you're pulling in a cool ten grand as a graduate student). :D

Edit to add: It is, though, admittedly hard to find exceptional wines for that price range. :D

Edited by wiegie

i guess my experience is just that wines costing 4 times as much sure don't taste 4 times better, if you know what i mean.  i'm sure if you're all into it and have a highly trained palette and all that, it's worth it to pay for those smaller gradations.  as it is, i pay too much for beer and CDs to let myself get too carried away there..

1155343[/snapback]

Norman's winery is making some pretty good juice...

If you ever get a chance to try an old, classic Bordeaux or a great Cali cab. even an untrained palate can appreciate a great wine.

It's the crappy bottles of wine that think they are worth more than $15 a bottle that suck! A lot of winery's live off the past and bottle crappy wines... i.e. IMHO Silver Oak and lately Opus!