[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little wine help please

Hankk

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are more than a "few" (and you learn how to find them when you're pulling in a cool ten grand as a graduate student).  :D

Edit to add:  It is, though, admittedly hard to find exceptional wines for that price range.  :D

1155362[/snapback]

"Few" probably wasn't the best word to use. :D

i guess my experience is just that wines costing 4 times as much sure don't taste 4 times better, if you know what i mean.  i'm sure if you're all into it and have a highly trained palette and all that, it's worth it to pay for those smaller gradations.  as it is, i pay too much for beer and CDs to let myself get too carried away there..

last weekend i had a bottle of the greg norman shiraz and thought it was awesome.. :D

1155343[/snapback]

There are definitely wines out there that are completely overrated and overpriced. I know many people who claim to know wine but believe that high price automatically equates to high quality. I drink wine every night and I certainly don't pay $100 for every bottle that I drink, but I do make educated selections and beyond that, I enjoy trying new wines. In the NW, we have a lot of wineries and there are quite a few great and expensive bottles. There are also quite a few inexpensive treasures. There is a certain $15 Cab that routinely beats some of the top boutique cabs ($$$$) from the area. I keep quite a few of these bottles on hand. I have to admit however, that when I go wine tasting, towards the end of the day I bring home a lot of wine that when I open I have to question what the hell I was thinking.

My wife hasn't gotten to the point that she doesn't really care what she is drinking as long as it is red and big. She knows just enough to really worry me when I'm out of town and I get a call from her telling me that she has just opened a bottle of "flying bird, or yelling hawk, or something like that".

"Screaming Eagle?"

"Yeah, thats it"

:D:D

i prefer riunite....on ice! :D

1155369[/snapback]

I once went to an Olive Garden (not my choice) with a few of my colleagues. When the waitress came to take our drink order one of my colleagues asked if she would recommend a wine. She recommended the house lambrusco and said that she liked it because it came chilled. :D

My wife hasn't gotten to the point that she doesn't really care what she is drinking as long as it is red and big.  She knows just enough to really worry me when I'm out of town and I get a call from her telling me that she has just opened a bottle of "flying bird, or yelling hawk, or something like that". 

"Screaming Eagle?"

"Yeah, thats it"

:D  :D

1155380[/snapback]

:D Classic.

You need to do what I do for Laura and set up a section that SHE is allowed to pick from. Everything else is off limits.

Why would I have a good comeback, he had an excellent point and he's a chef. I may know wine but I'm still learning the ways of wine/food pairing.  :D

1155301[/snapback]

twiley can point you to a specific bottle better than i. i have a good grasp for what flavors different regions offer (not that he doesn't), especially california (sonoma vs napa vs russian river vs livermore vs carmel/monterrey vs santa barbara vs san luis obispo)

My wife hasn't gotten to the point that she doesn't really care what she is drinking as long as it is red and big.  She knows just enough to really worry me when I'm out of town and I get a call from her telling me that she has just opened a bottle of "flying bird, or yelling hawk, or something like that". 

"Screaming Eagle?"

"Yeah, thats it"

1155380[/snapback]

:D

There are definitely wines out there that are completely overrated and overpriced.  I know many people who claim to know wine but believe that high price automatically equates to high quality.  I drink wine every night and I certainly don't pay $100 for every bottle that I drink, but I do make educated selections and beyond that, I enjoy trying new wines.  In the NW, we have a lot of wineries and there are quite a few great and expensive bottles.  There are also quite a few inexpensive treasures.  There is a certain $15 Cab that routinely beats some of the top boutique cabs ($$$$) from the area.  I keep quite a few of these bottles on hand.  I have to admit however, that when I go wine tasting, towards the end of the day I bring home a lot of wine that when I open I have to question what the hell I was thinking. 

"Screaming Eagle?"

"Yeah, thats it"

1155380[/snapback]

Speaking of which, I'm still holding those Leonettis. When can I open them? I'm getting thirsty.

to be fair to us :D , i think we answered his question and i think he has already made a purchase...... so i think the randomn wine talk isn't disturbing him too much :D if so sorry, i was a bit guilty of sky-jacking

Edited by Bier Meister

I haven't been too happy with the latest releases either. I find them to be a little thin.

1155386[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. I've never been a huge Opus fan. The last few that I've had were either hollow or too tight and never opened up. I had a 91 about 6 months ago that was good....not great....but definitely good. The 95 & 97 were completely underwhelming. The '98 tried to mimic a bordeaux....I would have rather had a good bordeaux. The '00 could have potential, but at this time its too early to tell and in a recent tasting I attending, most people put many wines ahead of this. IMO, one of the most overrated wines readily available.

:D Classic.

You need to do what I do for Laura and set up a section that SHE is allowed to pick from. Everything else is off limits.

1155388[/snapback]

Oh, she does it just to make me sweat. Actually, my SE and most of my better wines are kept in a wine locker in downtown Seattle. I probably only keep about 40 bottles at home and she is free to drink any of those.

Oh, she does it just to make me sweat.  Actually, my SE and most of my better wines are kept in a wine locker in downtown Seattle.  I probably only keep about 40 bottles at home and she is free to drink any of those.

1155423[/snapback]

My problem is that my wife DOESN'T know.

There are definitely wines out there that are completely overrated and overpriced.  I know many people who claim to know wine but believe that high price automatically equates to high quality.  I drink wine every night and I certainly don't pay $100 for every bottle that I drink, but I do make educated selections and beyond that, I enjoy trying new wines.  In the NW, we have a lot of wineries and there are quite a few great and expensive bottles.  There are also quite a few inexpensive treasures.  There is a certain $15 Cab that routinely beats some of the top boutique cabs ($$$$) from the area.  I keep quite a few of these bottles on hand.  I have to admit however, that when I go wine tasting, towards the end of the day I bring home a lot of wine that when I open I have to question what the hell I was thinking. 

"Screaming Eagle?"

"Yeah, thats it"

1155380[/snapback]

Like Twiley my wife has her own little section in the cellar...

On another note, after a tough day at work, my wife was making dinner and said I should go down and get a bottle of wine; as I went upstairs, I heard my kids go running downstairs yelling that htey would get it! I ran as fast as I could to cut them off, as I turned the corner they were both in the wine cellar. My 2 year old daughter was holding out a bottle and said, "Here, Daddy." As I reached for it she dropped it and it shattered :D I picked her up, ran her upstairs and made sure she was o.k. On my very slow return downstairs I prayed that it was an everyday drinker, but it turned out to be a 1990 Grange, that yes, I did taste my finger a few times while cleaning it up!

The door is now ALWAYS locked!

Edited by sundaynfl

On another note, after a tough day at work, my wife was making dinner and said I should go down and get a bottle of wine; as I went upstairs, I heard my kids go running downstairs yelling that htey would get it! I ran as fast as I could to cut them off, as I turned the corner they were both in the wine cellar. My 2 year old daughter was holding out a bottle and said, "Here, Daddy." As I reached for it she dropped it and it shattered :D I picked her up, ran her upstairs and made sure she was o.k. On my very slow return downstairs I prayed that it was an everyday drinker, but it turned out to be a 1990 Grange, that yes, I did taste my finger a few times while cleaning it up!

1155433[/snapback]

good info here..... will lock things up when the little one comes along.

1155433[/snapback]

Ouch.

So you have tasting notes?

1155440[/snapback]

Yes, it was a little more earthy than most years with glass undertones and notes of cedar racking. With hints of shoe leather and salty tears; but it opened up nicely with the giant floor decanter.