[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little wine help please

Hankk

Funny you should mention the Beaujolais Nouveau. My Father-in-law brought over four bottles tonight and we opened a bottle. I thought it was a little green, and needed a little time open up. The wine shop owner told my Father-in-law that you should wait a week to truly enjoy this wine....

Still it is a very nice fresh wine.....

1156710[/snapback]

From what I've heard, the '05s are suppose to be excellent.

Edited by twiley

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Release the Wines!

Beaujolais Nouveau arrived in stores with its usual marketing extravaganza. Can a good vintage put some wind back in its sales?

Mitch Frank

Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005

Popping corks at the stroke of midnight across multiple time zones, wine lovers are spending this third Thursday of November enjoying France's first wine of the 2005 harvest. At parties held in New Zealand, Shanghai, Paris, New York and beyond, the latest vintage of fruity Beaujolais Nouveau was unveiled. And Beaujolais vignerons and négociants enjoyed the wine more than usual. After the poor 2004 vintage and the atypical 2003s, the Nouveau was good this year.

Is Nouveau a big marketing circus? Sure. And it has been since France first legalized the early release of some Beaujolais in 1951. The wine has been delivered by boats, planes and hot-air balloons. Frédéric Drouhin, CEO of Beaujolais and Burgundy producer Maison Joseph Drouhin, remembers sports cars speeding off with the fresh wine: "Cars were waiting in our winery to leave in the fog at midnight, drive to Calais and catch the 5:00 a.m. ferry to the United Kingdom." Nowadays, FedEx and UPS deliver the wines a week in advance so stores can put them on sale at midnight. It's anticlimactic, but it's still an opportunity to celebrate a fresh vintage.

Beaujolais Nouveau is made from Gamay grapes grown in two appellations: Beaujolais and the slightly weightier Beaujolais Villages. The winemakers there use a technique called carbonic maceration, in which grape clusters are thrown into a fermenting tank whole, piled on top of each other deep enough to crush some of the grapes on the bottom. The tank is then sealed, and carbon dioxide helps the grape juice ferment inside the skins. Because very little of the wine comes in contact with the outside of the skins, the wine absorbs few tannins. After three weeks in the tank, the free-run juice is collected, bottled and distributed. The resulting wine is a light-bodied red, with fresh cherry and berry flavors and a distinctive banana aroma--and it's meant to be drunk as soon as possible.

Nouveau wine accounts for about a third of the region's red wine production. The other Beaujolais wines--Beaujolais, Beaujolais-Villages, and the cru Beaujolais from 10 particular villages--get to age longer and have a bit more heft. But even though Nouveau is a light wine, it offers wine drinkers their first peek at how the vintage turned out.

This year pleased most producers. At a Nouveau lunch in New York, Franck Duboeuf of Les Vins Georges Duboeuf, the region's largest producer, said, "Almost every producer's wine is excellent. Choosing one is like winning a lottery."

In a blind tasting of 10 Nouveaus (plus one Nouveau-style bottling from Italy), Wine Spectator executive editor Thomas Matthews found this year's wines very solid for Nouveau, after the light, lean 2004 vintage and the unusually ripe, thick 2003s. The 2005 wines were fresh, fruity and crisp, with mostly red fruit flavors of cherry and berry, medium bodies, light tannins and vibrant acidity. The best wines were riper and richer in texture. When the wines faltered, sharp acidity was usually to blame. While none of the wines showed excessive herbal or unripe flavors, acidity was very prominent in most of the bottlings tasted. The 2005s should be served room temperature, or lightly cooled, rather than chilled in an ice bucket, in order to emphasize the fruit.

The top scorer, Domaine de la Madone Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau 2005 (87 points, $15), showed impressive depth and structure, but retained the fruitiness and crisp acidity typical of the vintage. The generous Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais (86, $10) and the fleshy Mommessin Beaujolais (86, $11) also combined exuberance with structure. These wines will show better with food than on their own--but then, that's how they were meant to be enjoyed in the first place.

Beaujolais producers needed a solid vintage like this one. The hype over Beaujolais has cooled in recent years. Sales have declined in France and Western Europe, and slowed in the United States. Making matters worse, yields were incredibly high in 2004, forcing vignerons to sell some wine for vinegar or ethanol. Yields were down this year, 30 percent lower than the average over the past 50 years.

To keep Nouveau sales robust, Beaujolais marketers have turned to Asia and Eastern Europe. Sales of Nouveau increased 45 percent in Japan last year, as the Japanese bought more than 12.5 million bottles, surpassing the United States as the top international market. This year, the council of Beaujolais producers hosted events in Shanghai and Beijing. According to Inter-Beaujolais general director Michel Rougier, the organization tried events in China eight years ago, but proper distribution and retail weren't in place. They hope to sell 1 million bottles a year there by 2010.

Inter-Beaujolais also hopes that the Nouveau hype will help win more attention for higher quality Beaujolais-Villages and cru Beaujolais. For the first time, the organization is pouring those wines at its Nouveau promotional events, trying to change the impression that Beaujolais is an inconsequential, once-a-year wine. "Nouveau has prevented Americans from appreciating our other Beaujolais," said Philippe Bardet, president of Mommessin. "Our strategy is to talk about all these wines all year to show that they are fruity but not light."

If we want to drink a second Beaujolais to compare to whatever Beaujolais Nouveau we pick, might I suggest:

2003 Regnie Domaine Des Buyats DuBoeuf 2003 (750ml) 

"...boasts a nose of candied cherries, concentrated and well-extracted, it bastes the taster's mouth with copiusquantities of extraordinary ripe black fruits, spices, and powdered sugar. Anticipated maturity: now-2010+. 89-91." WA 06/04 

(I suggest it mostly because I picked up a couple of bottles of it on sale (for about $9) about a week ago)

Here is the menu with the wines. I may be wrong about

the years on the gewurztraminer and the merlot.

Butternut Squash Ravioli with Brown Butter and Sage

Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese Cornets with Raspberry Beet Salad

Corn “Risotto” with Basil Pesto

Charred Rare Tuna with radish Salad and Soy-Ginger Vinaigrette

1990 Laurent Perrier Rose

1995 Dom Perignon

Halibut with Macadamia Nut Crust, Bok Choy and Spicy Lemongrass-Coconut Emulsion

1999 Navarro, Gewurztraminer

Sautéed Salmon with Onion -Strewn Grits and Portobello Mushroom-Red Wine Sauce

2001 Bouchard Père et Fils Vosne-Romanée Aux Reignots 1er Cru

Lightly Smoked Duck Galantine, sliced with Herb Crusted Polenta, Assorted Nuts and Marion berry Reduction

2001 Chateau Ste. Michelle Reseve Merlot

Dry Aged Beef Sirloin with Yukon Gold Potato and Red Wine Essence

1995 Joseph Phelps “Insignia”

Although the wines were all good, I really liked the Phelps.

After dinner, as we were sitting around smoking and joking, our host opened up an Opus One cabernet. It wasn't bad.

Halibut with Macadamia Nut Crust, Bok Choy and Spicy Lemongrass-Coconut Emulsion

1999 Navarro, Gewurztraminer

Lightly Smoked Duck Galantine, sliced with Herb Crusted Polenta, Assorted Nuts and Marion berry Reduction

2001 Chateau Ste. Michelle Reseve Merlot

After dinner, as we were sitting around smoking and joking, our host opened up an Opus One cabernet.  It wasn't bad.

1157131[/snapback]

The Gewürztraminer citrus flavors probably held up nicely with the Halibut dish.

The merlot is decent and I'm 100% positive that Lawdawg can offer some valuable insight on Chateau Ste. Michelle.

What was everyone's impression with the Opus? Were they more impressed because of the name or did people actually comment that it's not bad but definitely not worth the hype?

The Phelps was really good wasn't it? :D

Edited by twiley

What was everyone's impression with the Opus? Were they more impressed because of the name or did people actually comment that it's not bad but definitely not worth the hype?

1157215[/snapback]

Everyone liked the Opus. Although I suspect some thought it not worth the hype, the guy pulled it out of his own cellar, so that type of comment wasn't appropriate at the time.

And yes it was.

Everyone liked the Opus.  Although I suspect some thought it not worth the hype, the guy pulled it out of his own cellar, so that type of comment wasn't appropriate at the time.

And yes it was.

1157278[/snapback]

Yeah, it's usually not a good idea to blast a wine that the owner is pulling out.

Yeah, it's usually not a good idea to blast a wine that the owner is pulling out.

1157285[/snapback]

Particularly if you are hoping that he'll pull out another bottle.

was that gewurtz too sweet for the dish?

edit:

i've been a fan of phelp and chateau st michelle for a while ...i bet the merlot felt "big" with those flavors with the duck... drew out a lot of fruit, yes?

Edited by Bier Meister

was that gewurtz too sweet for the dish?

edit:

i've been a fan of phelp and chateau st michelle for a while ...i bet the merlot felt "big" with those flavors with the duck... drew out a lot of fruit, yes?

1157339[/snapback]

I was thinking that as well, but Navarro does make a dry Gewurztraminer.

The Gewürztraminer citrus flavors probably held up nicely with the Halibut dish.

The merlot is decent and I'm 100% positive that Lawdawg can offer some valuable insight on Chateau Ste. Michelle.

1157215[/snapback]

Chateau Ste. Michelle makes some delicious wines and I tend to gravitate towards their late harvest ice wines and some of their Dr. Loosen labels. I have enjoyed everything of theirs from the Cold Creek vineyard, which if I remember is better priced than the reserves... If I remember they also have a Canoe Ridge label, Lawdowg would probably know. I'll have to search for notes! Did the merlot do well with the duck?? I would have went with a Cali. Zin.... but personal tastes is what makes this fun!

As far as the Phelps goes, The Wine Club consistantly has the best pricing on this; I just bought the 02' at $99/bottle...

Chateau Ste. Michelle makes some delicious wines and I tend to gravitate towards their late harvest ice wines and some of their Dr. Loosen labels. I have enjoyed everything of theirs from the Cold Creek vineyard, which if I remember is better priced than the reserves... If I remember they also have a Canoe Ridge label, Lawdowg would probably know. I'll have to search for notes! Did the merlot do well with the duck?? I would have went with a Cali. Zin.... but personal tastes is what makes this fun!

As far as the Phelps goes, The Wine Club consistantly has the best pricing on this; I just bought the 02' at $99/bottle...

1157418[/snapback]

I'm a big fan of Loosen's Eroica.