[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little wine help please

Hankk

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

Yes, it was a little more earthy than most years with glass undertones and notes of cedar racking. With hints of shoe leather and salty tears; but it opened up nicely with the giant floor decanter.

1155449[/snapback]

well played old chap.

Not at all.

It's kinda developed a life of its own.    :D

1155472[/snapback]

Yes it has... with all the beer and wine talk on this sight maybe DMD should look into a spirits forum.

As I patiently wait in my office for a wine shipment that is late and it's cold outside!!

So, the obvious question is: when is twiley (and Bier, Seattle, and the elusive Detlef) going to set up a huddle wine school. They pick a night and pick a few wines (reasonably priced and easily available wines) and then we all sit around in front of our computer and discuss tasting notes.

(I have a whole whole lot to learn and you guys can help me. (In return, I could lecture on the wine futures market. :D ))

So, the obvious question is:  when is twiley (and Bier, Seattle, and the elusive Detlef) going to set up a huddle wine school.  They pick a night and pick a few wines (reasonably priced and easily available wines) and then we all sit around in front of our computer and discuss tasting notes.

not a terrible idea, actually. :D

(I have a whole whole lot to learn and you guys can help me.  (In return, I could lecture on the wine futures market.  :D ))

1155497[/snapback]

:D uhh...why don't you bring the filets and king crab instead. :D

So, the obvious question is:  when is twiley (and Bier, Seattle, and the elusive Detlef) going to set up a huddle wine school.  They pick a night and pick a few wines (reasonably priced and easily available wines) and then we all sit around in front of our computer and discuss tasting notes. 

(I have a whole whole lot to learn and you guys can help me.  (In return, I could lecture on the wine futures market.  :D ))

1155497[/snapback]

:D maybe for mnf... every week we can focus on a different region

:D

mmmm. the finer points of Mojito's!!!

1155521[/snapback]

oh....bier knows mojitos!

Sounds like a good idea... I would say we start with a value country, such as Argentina, South Africa or even Spain!

1155525[/snapback]

we need to think about convenience(availability) and affordability....... i say we put a cap of $20 on bottles. most of my knowledge of wine (in order):

- California

- Italy

- France

- Germany

- wash/oregon

- Australia

- misc other eruopean countries (swiss, austrian)

very little knowledge (in order):

- spain

- argentina

- chili

- s. afrika

so i'd have a lot to learn out wines in those last 4 countries

Edited by Bier Meister

I'd suggest to get going instead of picking a region, we pick start by picking a good representation of, say, 4 different types of wine varietals--that way novices can at least have a chance to figure out what different types of wine taste like. (This could even be a remedial lesson that people could do on their own if needed. We just need for the ekspurts to pick out, say, a good basic representation of a Cab, Pinot, Chirax, Zin, etc. along with some tasting notes, so that people can at least learn what to expect from different varietals of wine).

Then maybe for the next few classes, we could taste wines made from the same grape, but from different areas--so that we could learn how to distinguish say a burgundy from a washington pinot.

Then we could move into tasting wines from different locations.

Just a thought.

I'd suggest to get going instead of picking a region, we pick start by picking a good representation of, say, 4 different types of wine varietals--that way novices can at least have a chance to figure out what different types of wine taste like.  (This could even be a remedial lesson that people could do on their own if needed.  We just need for the ekspurts to pick out, say, a good basic representation of a Cab, Pinot, Chirax, Zin, etc. along with some tasting notes, so that people can at least learn what to expect from different varietals of wine).

Then maybe for the next few classes, we could taste wines made from the same grape, but from different areas--so that we could learn how to distinguish say a burgundy from a washington pinot.

Then we could move into tasting wines from different locations.

Just a thought.

1155561[/snapback]

it's a good thought. i think you are right...... stay with the basics and expand....

it's remarkable what an impact local climate, temp, sun exposure, location of vines have on the grape.

the nw is prime for pinots..... you can plant cab grapes up there and get a lot of pinot characteristics from them...... cali is prime for cab..... very fun stuff.....i'm getting psyched

1155497[/snapback]

Not a bad idea at all.