[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pittsburgh Steelers

Runner

Perhaps I'm being a little too critical, but the Steelers always play at a level comparable to their opponent. In my opinion, they have gotten lucky on last minute field goals to win games. You may argue that it is a sign of a good team to win close games. While I agree to an extent, the Steelers seem to always be in that predicament. With the exception of the first two games of the year, they have been mediocre.

They've also had rather convincing wins against the Browns & Bengals (on the road). There only real close wins were San Diego (on the road) & Baltimore.

Other than Ward and maybe Parker, they have no other playmakers on offense (not including Ben). They need another WR to compliment Ward, and I don't believe that they are utilizing Parker the way the should. I mean, how many freakin' screen passes do they do? Maybe NONE. They have become very predictable on offense.

I agree that Randle-El is better served as a #3, but it is what it is. I think Heath Miller has emerged as a playmaker as well.

Their defense is suspect. Just look at the 3rd down completion rate against them. Their pass defense is average; they give up too many big plays.

3rd downs have been somewhat of a problem, but no way is this a "suspect" defense. The Steelers defense is strong. They seem to get off to slow starts, which is a problem, but overall, it is a very good "playmaking" defense.

You have to admit that many of the games they have played and won could have easily gone the other way. They've been lucky (or "good enough") to win those games.

Once again, only two wins were that close: San Diego & Baltimore

I just can't put them in the upper echelon of teams in the league right now. It has become very evident of exactly how important Roethlisberger is to this team. Without him, they are BELOW average. With him, it's a different story. I just don't think they have the playmakers that would make them a real good team.

I would still rank them in the top 5 right now. No question about how important Ben is to this offense. Maddox is finished. He looks completely lost out there.

I blame Cowher as well. He has proven that he hasn't had his team prepared in playoff games, and his overall game plan is suspect. Nobody draws attention to it because they seem to always squeak out wins when they should win big. I just think their luck is about to change. Just pray Roethlisberger comes back, and they start mixing their playcalling up or they are in for some heartache.

Cowher is a very good coach. There are only a handful of guys in this league that have been more successful. That said, I do think he turns too conservative when they are leading, and needs to go for the throat more. Once again, your argument about squeaking out wins is foolish. In the NFL, lots of game per team are close each year. Good teams win those games, and that is the differnce between a 7-9 season and a 10-6 season. Once again, you use the word "luck", which is moranic. Teams cannot continue to win in the NFL due to "luck". It always evens itself out. Ben will be back, they will get things back together. I didn't like the loss today, but I'm not overly concerned.

I hope I'm wrong, but I've watched every game this year (as you have had) and this is the conclusion I have drawn.

I don't miss a play ever, and I do appreciate your opinion, and I'm not trying to attack you, just stating my observations as well.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a reference to my Jets thread.... and your reply to my explanation of how injuries have impacted the Jets. Did you already forget, or are you like, drunk er sumpthin?

1163617[/snapback]

I simply said :D:D after your :D rant. What's so hard to understand..... :D

I love it when the Steelers lose.... menudo goes on an absolute tear!  :D  "I won't even repsond to  this thread" he says.... and then, about 7 posts and 5000 words later.....  :D

1163638[/snapback]

:D

Perhaps I'm being a little too critical, but the Steelers always play at a level comparable to their opponent.  In my opinion, they have gotten lucky on last minute field goals to win games.  You may argue that it is a sign of a good team to win close games.  While I agree to an extent, the Steelers seem to always be in that predicament.  With the exception of the first two games of the year, they have been mediocre.

They've also had rather convincing wins against the Browns & Bengals (on the road).  There only real close wins were San Diego (on the road) & Baltimore. 

Other than Ward and maybe Parker, they have no other playmakers on offense (not including Ben).  They need another WR to compliment Ward, and I don't believe that they are utilizing Parker the way the should.  I mean, how many freakin' screen passes do they do?  Maybe NONE.  They have become very predictable on offense.

I agree that Randle-El is better served as a #3, but it is what it is.  I think Heath Miller has emerged as a playmaker as well.

Their defense is suspect.  Just look at the 3rd down completion rate against them.  Their pass defense is average; they give up too many big plays.

3rd downs have been somewhat of a problem, but no way is this a "suspect" defense.  The Steelers defense is strong.  They seem to get off to slow starts, which is a problem, but overall, it is a very good "playmaking" defense.

You have to admit that many of the games they have played and won could have easily gone the other way.  They've been lucky (or "good enough") to win those games. 

Once again, only two wins were that close:  San Diego & Baltimore

I just can't put them in the upper echelon of teams in the league right now.  It has become very evident of exactly how important Roethlisberger is to this team.  Without him, they are BELOW average.  With him, it's a different story.  I just don't think they have the playmakers that would make them a real good team.

I would still rank them in the top 5 right now.  No question about how important Ben is to this offense.  Maddox is finished.  He looks completely lost out there.

I blame Cowher as well.  He has proven that he hasn't had his team prepared in playoff games, and his overall game plan is suspect.  Nobody draws attention to it because they seem to always squeak out wins when they should win big.  I just think their luck is about to change.  Just pray Roethlisberger comes back, and they start mixing their playcalling up or they are in for some heartache.

Cowher is a very good coach.  There are only a handful of guys in this league that have been more successful.  That said, I do think he turns too conservative when they are leading, and needs to go for the throat more.  Once again, your argument about squeaking out wins is foolish.  In the NFL, lots of game per team are close each year.  Good teams win those games, and that is the differnce between a 7-9 season and a 10-6 season.  Once again, you use the word "luck", which is moranic.  Teams cannot continue to win in the NFL due to "luck".  It always evens itself out.  Ben will be back, they will get things back together.  I didn't like the loss today, but I'm not overly concerned.

I hope I'm wrong, but I've watched every game this year (as you have had) and this is the conclusion I have drawn.

I don't miss a play ever, and I do appreciate your opinion, and I'm not trying to attack you, just stating my observations as well.

1163631[/snapback]

Fair.

Nice job on debunking my observations. I hope it turns around, but it won't until Roethlisberger is back.

Funny that nobody was screaming overrated before the last three weeks (and the Jax game earlier this year). The one reason that the Steelers are not playing well that is not a mystery. They have clearly not played well in the absence of Ben and we all know that. Tommy and Batch are not good QB's. With no threat of a passing game, the running game suffers. Again, we all know that. That is not front page news.

Did you happen to see the stats that they were throwing up about what a different team they are with him in there? QB rating, points per game, rushing/passing yards per game; all cut in half without Ben.

I hate to see my team so reliant on their star player, but they are, and we live with it. All doubts will be removed when Ben gets back next week.

I just want to read this weeks poem...

1163795[/snapback]

menudo only writes poems when he can gloat. He rejects the horrific pain of losing, pretending it never happened. This is a character fault, life should be experienced, with the ups and the downs. He has much to learn. He is still a young grasshopper. He may learn yet. In the interim, I may decide to fill in with a Steeler poem of my own.... perhaps this threat will make him walk on the rice paper without tearing it.

All the Steelers Div. games are usually played tough,any team can win and thats the facts.....Steelers defns got me 32 pts today so i would say there suspect wouldnt you?? :D

1163839[/snapback]

No, but any league that gives 32 points to the Pitsburgh defense this week seems suspect. :D

menudo only writes poems when he can gloat. He rejects the horrific pain of losing, pretending it never happened. This is a character fault, life should be experienced, with the ups and the downs. He has much to learn. He is still a young grasshopper. He may learn yet. In the interim, I may decide to fill in with a Steeler poem of my own.... perhaps this threat will make him walk on the rice paper without tearing it.

1163848[/snapback]

O.k. Here is my poem for this week:

The Steelers lost and left there fans in the cold,

Rovers is very, very, very,very, very, very old;

Roses are red, violets are blue,

Those waiting on a real poem can go f@$% themselves;

1164140[/snapback]

:D Excellent imagery, poor use of meter.

O.k.  Here is my poem for this week:

1164140[/snapback]

The Steelers lost to a shatty team

All their fans now sit and steam

Roth's knee is tired and sore

Too bad the Steelers are mediocre.

1163848[/snapback]

Something that only a Bengal fan could truly understand.

Last week I proclaimed that the Steelers were average

Steeler and Menudo got worked up like talking radio head Mike Savage

Steeler called me a moran

but it looks like I am the man

Colts, Bengals, and Bears present a schedule without salvage

1164276[/snapback]

Yes, you have been proven right. The Steelers lost a division game on the road with Tommy Maddox at QB. They are 7-3 and tied for 1st place in the division. Boy, we have been fed a healthy dose of crow courtesy of bushwacked. :D

P.S. I never actually felt I had any talent as a Poet, but, after reading the efforts

from others on this post, I think maybe I do..... :D

Edited by Menudo

i was speaking with rush limbaugh and he told me that the steelers are overrated and they are over hyped by the media because they are black (their uniforms that is).

1164279[/snapback]

... and I'm not trying to attack you...

1163631[/snapback]

You mean other than stating that this thread is too stupid to merit a response (about 15 responses ago)? :D:D

I wonder, though...is Ben that good, or is Maddox that bad? I kinda' thought Ben was overrated when I saw him in the playoffs last year, admittedly a small sample size - haven't seen much of him this year. With their running game and defense, the Steelers are the type of team that really only need a "caretaker" QB, in the mold of the Super Bowl Ravens of 4 or 5 years ago. The Steelers are clearly pretty dependent on Rothlisberger, but I wonder how much of it is a function of Ben versus a function of his backups - if the Steelers just had a stronger backup QB (like, say, Trent Dilfer), they might be OK even without Big Ben.