[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did we witness the greatest game of all time

Sgt. Ryan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Carroll missed the fact that Texas is a very one-dimenionsal team ... you stop Vince Young and you stop Texas.  No reason to game play Vince, nah.

1249718[/snapback]

Missed? No. Players didn't execute, i.e. tackle in the open field? Yes.

Poor officiating, turnovers, poor play calling. Why would that be the best game ever?

1249713[/snapback]

IMHO that helps when you have Undefeated #1 playing Undefeated #2 with big play after big play on top of poor officiating, turnovers, poor play calling. I guess greatest could be debatable but not exciting. No?

This was the best championship game that I've ever seen, but I think the best game I've ever watched (not live, cuz I wasn't born) was the OU/Nebraska game in 1971 (I think). Wasn't it billed as "the game of the century"? It was on ESPN Classic a couple of weeks back and was awesome to watch.

I agree- definitely an exciting game, but greatest game- no. Way to sloppy, and poorly played defensively to be considered the greatest. The officials, jeez they couldn't seem to get any of those correct- they missed 3 blatant calls- The UT non-TD, and int, and the UT catch- they missed ALL 3 and they were failry obvious. Great, great finish. VY was awesome.

I would very objectively qualify it is not only the greatest game played, but across all sports ever played in this or any other dimension of time by humans or any other species.

I agree- definitely an exciting game, but greatest game- no. Way to sloppy, and poorly played defensively to be considered the greatest. The officials, jeez they couldn't seem to get any of those correct- they missed 3 blatant calls- The UT non-TD, and int, and the UT catch- they missed ALL 3 and they were failry obvious. Great, great finish. VY was awesome.

1249841[/snapback]

So whatt game rivals it. OU over texas in 2004, where the Sooners held Young and texas scoreless in their last defeat. I sure liked that one. :D

I would very objectively qualify it is not only the greatest game played, but across all sports ever played in this or any other dimension of time by humans or any other species.

1249943[/snapback]

OK, now you've gone too far. The greatest game ever played in any sport was Super Bowl XXX.

So whatt game rivals it.  OU over texas in 2004, where the Sooners held Young and texas scoreless in their last defeat.  I sure liked that one.  :D

1249945[/snapback]

Yep- you read my mind!

Actually was thinking more along the lines of the Orange Bowl. UW over Oklahoma in the "Sooner Schooner" game. Now that was a game!! :D

I still consider the 03' Fiesta Bowl the best game I've ever seen, just because that game had a little defense mixed in. Last night you saw 2 very great offenses, but also you saw 2 very mediocre defenses.

Tressell did have his chance to punt against Texas earlier in the year in which he coulda won, he instead tried for a long field goal which was missed giving Texas a short field. I don't care how bad my defense is playing, Texas got no big plays last night, and USC had a lot of success with the blitz, but Carroll held back all night long for whatever reason, and paid for it. Right to the very end. Texas had success with one general play... Vince Young, run right, go for 9-15 yards. USC couldn't stop it. Then again, Texas couldn't stop USC either. Texas happened to have the ball last, and won the game.

And sarge... Willis was healthy for most of the 03' Fiesta Bowl and didn't do anything. He had one good drive, so I hardly think he made sooooooooo much of a difference, especially since the game shoulda been over in regulation when there was no PI called on Miami when Gamble woulda got a first down, which woulda sealed it for Ohio State. Everyone moans about the PI in Overtime, but the game shoulda never been in Overtime to begin with. Ohio State outclassed and outplayed that Miami team.

1249943[/snapback]

Take out the dimension of time qualifier, and I agree.

Seriously, does it have to be the greatest ever to satisfy certain people? Like with the Favre/greatest ever discussions earlier in the week, why can't you just take it for what it was, one of a handful of the most brilliant college football games ever?

First off, absolutely the best game I've seen. At least when you take into account the magnitude of it. Perhaps I've seen 60 minutes of better football, but not when it mattered as much.

I too, agree that going for it was the way to go, even handing the ball to Lendell. However, I think Bush at least needs to be on the field for that play if only to pull one safety off the ball.

Leinert with poor clock management at the end? Did I read that correctly? Less than 20 seconds, no timeouts, on your own 20 is near impossible odds.

As far as the "bush league trash talking" on the part of Leinert. You wouldn't be talking about when he jumped up after being late hit and told the guy to bring it? Would you? Yah, what a punk. Maybe he should have just sat there and started to cry.

There just wasn't the suspense in this game COMPARED to the 03' Fiesta. The way this 4th quarter played out, it was pretty obvious what hte result was gonna be. Whoever had the ball last was gonna win, because both defenses were helpless. Contrast to the 03' Fiesta where from gun to gun, no one knew who was gonna win. It had more DRAMATIC plays. The 06' Rose Bowl game deserves consideration, but in a couple years when everyone can put it all into perspective, I think that no one outside of Texas will probably think of it as the greatest game ever. And if you took the fact that it was for a national championship, the 05' Rose Bowl game between Michigan and Texas was better. Just not enough suspense for my taste, and that's what I look for in a game where I don't care who wins.

Obviously I'm a bit biased, but it is the best game I can remember watching. To come back the way Texas did late in the 4th quater, and to make a key 4th down stop, and then score on 4th down and 9 with 19 seconds left is pretty darned exciting. I disagree with Brian that we all knew whoever had the ball last would win, because USC had the ball with less than 1 minute remaining before Texas scored, and they also had the ball at the very end of the game. I can't say that it is the greatest game of all time, because I haven't watched every game played, but I can say it was the greatest game I've ever watched, when you consider the come back and the magnitude of the game.

:D

How many Texas Homers would be thinking it was the best game they ever saw, had the refs not screwed USC and gave VY the TD and USC had won?

1250741[/snapback]

Your schtick is getting old. Can you honestly say that you think that Texas wouldn't have scored anyway? What about the interception that they didn't give us? That actually would have kept USC from scoring. Stop being a bitter little bitch and give Texas some credit. Are you still licking your wounds from them beating your team or what? I think DMD's response to your idiotic post in another trhead says it all. At this point you are just making a joke out of yourself and marginalizing anything you might say in the future.

Oh, and tell me again, how did the weak ass Big 12 do compared to the Lil'10 and the Pac10 in bowls this year?

From what I hear, it is the greatest game i have ever slept through. I got the kids ready for bed and sat down to watch the rest of the game, but fell asleep at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. :D

I am a Texas Tech fan, but I was pulling for UT in this one. The funny thing is, when I woke up about an hour after the game, I flipped to ESPN to see the score and must have been still half asleep, because I swear I saw USC had won the game. It wasn't until the next mornign when I got to work that I figured out Texas had won. :D

Your schtick is getting old.  Can you honestly say that you think that Texas wouldn't have scored anyway?  What about the interception that they didn't give us?  That actually would have kept USC from scoring.  Stop being a bitter little lady dog and give Texas some credit. 

1250755[/snapback]

I have to admit that I agree with Perch, even as the diehard Trojan you all know me to be. (Yes, I know I'm a rare classy Trojan fan on these boards.) Bottom line: 4th & 2 the Horns D stopped us, and on 4th & 5 we couldn't stop VY. That's how close this thing was. If either one of those huge, late 4thQ plays goes the other way, I'm the one dancing in the streets - but it was not to be. At least not with this year's D - too much attrition to overcome. (Ah, what if we still had last year's D? Dreaming...shucks-t)

That is the ballgame, IMHO. I also believe that more of the big breaks went the Horns way, but the Horns caused a lot of their own luck, and even after all that, USC still had plenty of (missed) opportunities to win it. ND fans could/should be saying the same thing about the other big game back in October, with USC getting/making the big breaks...

Trying to look on the bright side - "At least this relieves some of the pressure on Booty & Co. next year..." :D

Your schtick is getting old.  Can you honestly say that you think that Texas wouldn't have scored anyway?  What about the interception that they didn't give us?  That actually would have kept USC from scoring.  Stop being a bitter little bitch and give Texas some credit.  Are you still licking your wounds from them beating your team or what?  I think DMD's response to your idiotic post in another trhead says it all.  At this point you are just making a joke out of yourself and marginalizing anything you might say in the future.

Oh, and tell me again, how did the weak ass Big 12 do compared to the Lil'10 and the Pac10 in bowls this year?

1250755[/snapback]

Big 10 was 2-0 in BCS Bowls, i'd say they were pretty weak too. :D

.......and why do you assume Texas would have scored a TD, USC held them on similar drives to 2 FG's and a missed FG, that's 4 less points and USC could have won by 1 point, to make light of the blown call shows how blinded by homerism you truely are. The none call was HUGE!!

I find it so amusing how lightly you view this play and just assume the end result the same, how gullible are you ? really? As i was saying had the end result been different, your F'ing Horny Toads would be screaming :D Foul , as long as someone would listen. Don't be a f'ing hypocrit!!

Edited by theeohiostate

.......and why do you assume Texas would have scored a TD, USC held them on similar drives to 2 FG's and a missed FG, that's 4 less points and USC could have won by 1 point, to make light of the blown call shows how blinded by homerism you truely are. The none call was HUGE!!

1250911[/snapback]

Wrong.

That drive was the one where Texas missed (rushed?) the XP so they got 6. If you want to give them a FG instead, that's 3 less points not 4.

Wrong.

That drive was the one where Texas missed (rushed?) the XP so they got 6.  If you want to give them a FG instead, that's 3 less points not 4.

1251301[/snapback]

Thanks for the correction, so it should've been OT then, now that may have made it as good a game as the OSU-Maimi game.

There just wasn't the suspense in this game COMPARED to the 03' Fiesta. The way this 4th quarter played out, it was pretty obvious what hte result was gonna be. Whoever had the ball last was gonna win, because both defenses were helpless.

1250594[/snapback]

BTW, USC had the ball last in Texas territory and lost. And had USC got 2 yards on 4th down, they win. So the Texas defense wasnt totally helpless as you claimed. Hmm, I guess there went that logic.

Texas came back from 12 down with 5 minutes left, when they hadnt stopped SC the whole second half. There were (2) 4th down plays, Texas stopped USC on one and made 4th and 5 on the other. How is that not suspense. Its obvious you are very biased, or simply watched a different game than everyone else.

I dont know about you, but I didnt think the OSU Miami game was that good. Sure it went to OT, but that was the lone bright spot in my memory. Last nights game was the greatest Ive ever seen, compared to the Miami - OSU game in which I thought, man, Magahees draft status is shot, that was a bogus PI penatly, and Clarett really is a thug. What in this game even came close to what we witnessed last night. And under dog won, an under dog whose coach is a lying, cheatin crook, and best player is a liar, cheat, and criminal and that is before he left OSU, and soon to be felon. Sorry, it aint even close in my view, but to each his own.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan