[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone remember the USFL?

Chavez

Nice site:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/index.php

And despite all the naysayers, they played some pretty good football there too; lots of USFL players went on to have decent careers in the NFL. Darn shame Donald Trump utterly f*cked up their business plan and ruined what could have been a wondrous thing for sports fanatics - quality year-round football.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, its an old school kinda nite...

1268383[/snapback]

Beats sitting around and reading the other two dominant topics:

- Panthers, Broncos, Steelers, and Seahawks fans struttin' their stuff

- Indy and Bears fans whining

Not to mention the odd post of a winning team's fan whining about respect or some such rot.

We started our fantasy football league in 1984 (still going today!). A couple of us tried to get a USFL fantasy league going in 1985, but the others wanted to do rotisserie baseball instead (to this day, I haven't done a baseball league.) We were close to getting a USFL fantasy league off the ground in 86, but unfortunately the league folded.

Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker, Doug Flutie....lots of good players.

Vaguely. I think i rooted for the Chicago Blitz a little bit as I figured they were geographically closest. I couldn't tell you who was on the team though. Wasn't there one team that was stacked and dominated?

1268388[/snapback]

The Philadelphia Stars were in all 3 title games.

Sam Mills at LB, Kelvin Bryant at RB, Jim Mora coaching.

Beats sitting around and reading the other two dominant topics:

- Panthers, Broncos, Steelers, and Seahawks fans struttin' their stuff

- Indy and Bears fans whining

Not to mention the odd post of a winning team's fan whining about respect or some such rot.

1268389[/snapback]

Here here, well said.

About the only thing I remember about the USFL was the amount of top flight players that signed with them instead of the NFL.

The biggest thing I remember:

Steve Young "The Forty Million Dollar Man". :D

It was a personal services contract too... not your regular player contract for a team. Never did get the money though...

Of course I remember, It is the last time my favorite football team ever won a championship! The Philadelphia and then the Baltimore Stars. Too bad Donald Trump personally destroyed that league.

1268810[/snapback]

Or the lawsuit against the NFL for anti-trust, in which they technically won, but got the minimum award of $3.

Same thing that happened to the Federal League (baseball) in in the teens (20th century). A pretty good league with a lot of big names, pretty sure it won a bunch of lawsuits but was awarded like $1 for its troubles...the league was basically bankrupted by legal costs.

I loved this league, I did my final report in Sports Literature class on it in fact (A-). Some bullet point facts, trivia:

- Chicago and Arizon traded their entire rosters in the 84 season

- the 86 season they switched to a fall sched to go head ot head with the nfl, and caused a lot of teams to merge (like Oakland and Michigan) to avoid stadium problems with NFL. The league folded immediately after.

- Donald Trump is credited with killign the league as he was the major push to a fall sched, as well as meeting with NFL to merge as early as 1984

- They won their lawsuit against the NFL, but were awarded $3 ($10 with the courst costs), a tab picked up entirely by the owner of the Houston oilers