[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone remember the USFL?

Chavez

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice site:

http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/index.php

And despite all the naysayers, they played some pretty good football there too; lots of USFL players went on to have decent careers in the NFL. Darn shame Donald Trump utterly f*cked up their business plan and ruined what could have been a wondrous thing for sports fanatics - quality year-round football.

1268381[/snapback]

I had season tickets to the Houston Gamblers, it was an F***ing blast. Jim Kelly and Kiki Deyala (I went to school with Kiki).

My Dad took me to the very first USFL Championship game played in Denver CO. 1983. It was the Philly Stars vs the Michigan Panthers, qb'd by Bobby Hebert. As I recall, it was a really fun game to watch.

I liked the USFL, but I was a nut for football even back then.

The Breakers, who were in 3 different cities for its 3 years - Boston, New Orleans and Portland.

1268761[/snapback]

:D At least they're all coastal cities; "Kansas City Breakers" would have been an interesting image.

ESPN Classic usually runs old USFL games in the off-season.

I caught a Jim Kelly/ Steve Young game  a while back.

I think the announcers were Mike Patrick and Paul MacGuire :D

1268720[/snapback]

I saw one with Rick Neuheisel playing QB.

Interesting stuff!!

I'm in my late 20's, so I was at ages 5 through 7 when the league was in existence, little before my football watching time. Knew of it, but dont really remember it. I knew that players like Kelly, Young, White, Flutie, and others went there, but didnt know some of the other stuff noted in this post.

Thanks for the history lesson! :D

Edited by NinersIn2006!

I remember the Pittsburgh Maulers. I remember being pissed when the named them Maulers as it was a reference to Debartalo the owner who was into building shopping malls. I don't remember us having any good players other than Rozier. A lot of the players were signed from Pitt after they graduated.

The Philadelphia Stars were in all 3 title games.

Sam Mills at LB, Kelvin Bryant at RB, Jim Mora coaching.

1268395[/snapback]

I remember the Philadelphia Stars and the whole Herschel Walker drafted away from the NFL. We didn't have a fantasy football league back then, but we were so desperate that we formed a fantasy XFL league (which I won on the arm of Tommy Maddox!).

Good stuff! :D

Anybody else here willing to admit ALMOST starting a XFL Fantasy Football league?

I am.

1270873[/snapback]

I particpated in one. I can't remember the website that hosted it, but there definitely was one. It may have been Sandbox.

But they did move to Baltimore, I think right before the league folded. Man was that a long time ago.

1268397[/snapback]

Yeah, they moved after the second year and played the entire third year in Maryland. Memorial Stadium in Baltimore was undergoing some renovations so they actually played their games at the University of Maryland in Byrd Stadium - which is about 45-60 minutes from Baltimore.

They officially took over the Baltimore Colts training facility back up in Baltimore County, but rarely practiced there as they still had a makeshift practice loaction in Philly.

In fact, Baltimore is the only city to have football teams win their respective championships in the NFL, USFL and Canadian Football League (CFL)!

Yeah, they moved after the second year and played the entire third year in Maryland.  Memorial Stadium in Baltimore was undergoing some renovations so they actually played their games at the University of Maryland in Byrd Stadium - which is about 45-60 minutes from Baltimore.

They officially took over the Baltimore Colts training facility back up in Baltimore County, but rarely practiced there as they still had a makeshift practice loaction in Philly.

In fact, Baltimore is the only city to have football teams win their respective championships in the NFL, USFL and Canadian Football League (CFL)!

1272011[/snapback]

I hear ya, I live in Baltimore :D

About the only thing I remember about the USFL was the amount of top flight players that signed with them instead of the NFL.

The biggest thing I remember:

Steve Young "The Forty Million Dollar Man". :D

1268768[/snapback]

Lost in the annals of history is the little-known fact that Steve Young was the selection by the Bengals that year, and had supposedly (per local legend) agreed to contract terms, when he "jumped" to the USFL at the last minute.

Bengals ended up taking Esiason (either that year or the next, I didn't look up the history before posting)

It very well may have been quite a different history here if we'd had Young. Esiason was great for the offense we ran, but you never know......