[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper to be traded in early March

Guest Sores

Maybe I am reading things wrong... or maybe I am just slow... but isn't the situation:

Without Culpepper's knowledge, or permission, his agent asks for a raise.

Culpepper is po'd at his agent and said agent is on a short leash.

1281475[/snapback]

Pretty much describes the situation. Seems alot are missing this part.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McNabb to Owens in Oakland, you heard it hear first.

McNabb to Moss in philly.

1281504[/snapback]

I though you meant Culpepper to Owens in Oakland

&

McNabb to R.Moss in Philly.

Agreed, but still doesn't explain CPep's studious avoidance of the new coach.  :D

1281626[/snapback]

Players have done alot worse when they want a raise.

BTW - the guy that started these rumors, who I posted on the 1st page now has it nailed down to the team and everything. He is an idiot;

Worth pondering: Quarterback Daunte Culpepper and the Vikings' second-round draft pick to Dennis Green's Cardinals for Arizona's No. 10 overall pick and safety Adrian Wilson. The Vikings could also package controversial cornerback Fred Smoot with Culpepper in a deal, allowing them to re-sign free agent cornerback Brian Williams.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s...rs/13685749.htm

Culpepper fires agent as trade talk swirls

BY SEAN JENSENPioneer Press

Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper — his future with the franchise unclear as trade speculation roils — fired longtime agent Mason Ashe today.

Read the rest

"For the last year, I have been in the process of evaluating and redefining all the personal and professional aspects of my life. We both came to the realization that I am positioning myself to take a more hands-on approach to my football life..."

Or a stripper on a boat, anyways! :D

Nice work, Daunte. :D

Edited by Delicious_bass

I hate the pioneer press, so here is the Star Trib article:

Culpepper dumps his agent

The Vikings quarterback may take a more direct role in contract negotiations.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: January 25, 2006 – 12:20 AM

Printer friendly E-mail this story Vikings

Culpepper dumps his agent

Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper followed through Tuesday on a long-rumored move, firing agent Mason Ashe. The decision led to a possibility that apparently has been brewing for months: Might Culpepper replace Ashe with ... himself?

Culpepper has told at least one member of the organization that he planned to negotiate his next contract personally as part of a year-long plan to get more involved in his business affairs. Culpepper, in fact, said last summer after accepting an $8 million raise: "I'd rather deal with stuff on a one-on-one basis. Sometimes that is the best way."

It is highly unusual for NFL players to represent themselves in contract negotiations, given both their legal intricacies as well as the potential for hard feelings created when a player has no buffer between management. For that reason, Culpepper almost assuredly will hire someone with a legal background to assist in the matter, but he appears intent on at least taking the lead.

Culpepper did just that earlier this month after the Vikings refused Ashe's offer to begin renegotiating Culpepper's contract. The following week, Culpepper circulated a letter to key members of the organization, including owner Zygi Wilf, calling for a face-to-face meeting to spark talks.

That meeting fizzled when Rob Brzezinski, vice president of football operations, speaking for Wilf, told Culpepper that the contract would not be changed. Culpepper reportedly stormed out of Winter Park and skipped a scheduled face-to-face meeting with coach Brad Childress.

Neither Culpepper nor Ashe have responded to interview requests from the Star Tribune, but Ashe told the Associated Press that the pair had "mutually agreed to part ways."

Did anybody hear Childress' interview on Foxsports radio yesterday? I think it was with Chris Meyers??? I can't find a link or any article that was written on it, but they played the highlights on K-Fan:

He says he talks to Pep at least once a week.

Rumors are just that, rumors.

He prefers to keep his conversations with Daunte to him and Daunte.

He says Daunte is a franchise QB and doesn't believe in players losing their jobs due to injury.

He says they'll look at FA running backs, but all the big names come with big money demands.

The biggest questions surrounding him are if he can actually play a full season and if he can continue the level of play he was exhibiting late this season.

1279186[/snapback]

:D

So, basically, the biggest questions surrounding him are: a.) can he play, and; b.) if so, can he play well.

Those are two pretty big questions.

Finally found a link:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/13713068.htm

Posted on Thu, Jan. 26, 2006

Childress, Moss weigh in on Daunte

BY SEAN JENSENPioneer PressQuarterback

Daunte Culpepper, the subject of trade speculation, isn't saying much these days. But others close to him are weighing in.

New Vikings coach Brad Childress said Wednesday that he and Culpepper talk on a weekly basis.

"You classify rumors as just that, rumors," Childress said Wednesday on "The Drive on Fox" with Chris Myers and Bryan Cox. "There's nobody that knows what Daunte and I talk about except Daunte and I, and I'd like to keep it that way."

Childress said Culpepper's status as the Vikings' No. 1 quarterback has not changed.

"I said in my opening comments... he's a franchise quarterback, and I don't believe a guy loses his position based on injury," Childress said. "So the first thing is, he doesn't need to be injured anymore. He's got to rehab. He's got control over that. I don't have control over that."

Meanwhile, former Vikings receiver Randy Moss told Dan Patrick on Patrick's ESPN radio show that he spoke to Culpepper on Monday night.

"Does he want out of Minnesota?" Moss said, repeating Patrick's question. "I really can't get that feel. What Daunte wants is some clarity. Clarity meaning, where is his future going to be? Is it going to be with them, as a franchise quarterback, or does he need to go elsewhere? … Once he gets clarity, then they can go from there."

Earlier, Moss said he and Culpepper reminisced about their days with the Vikings. Moss said he gave Culpepper some insight on the receiver's new NFL home.

"I gave him a little lowdown on Oakland, the city, the team, the players," said Moss, now with the Raiders. "We just talked about a lot of things."

Moss referred to Culpepper as a "brother" and said the two have a positive relationship.

"I just want to let people know that there's nothing between us but love," Moss said. "But by him and me reuniting would be like a Cinderella story."

Culpepper did not return a phone message left for him.

Tuesday, Culpepper told the Pioneer Press that he had fired longtime agent Mason Ashe and that he planned to take a more "hands-on" approach with his career

:D

So, basically, the biggest questions surrounding him are: a.) can he play, and; b.) if so, can he play well.

Those are two pretty big questions.

1290796[/snapback]

:D Well...yeah. It looks like it's become a question of his physical stamina and his mental toughness. We have seen that he can sling the pigskin occasionally. So could Jeff George...

I think the smart thing to do would be to slap the franchise tag on Culpepper for a while until he can heal and prove that he can come back and be an elite QB once again. Until that happens, it doesn't really make sense to trade him or to give him a big contract.

I think the smart thing to do would be to slap the franchise tag on Culpepper for a while until he can heal and prove that he can come back and be an elite QB once again.  Until that happens, it doesn't really make sense to trade him or to give him a big contract.

1291710[/snapback]

I don't think they can do that. He is under contract for 5 or 6 more years. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but if they put a franchise tag on him, he will get paid the average of the top 5 paid QB's. I am not sure where his salary ranks right now.

Martz is interviewing in Oakland.  Martz + Culpepper + Moss + Porter + Lamont Jordan makes my pants tight.

1291703[/snapback]

That's just wrong. Keep your unnatural urges in the Tailgate, where they belong. Besides too many people in there to get a good camera angle. :D

Edited by cre8tiff