[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you're looking for a job

Hugh 0ne

We are currently looking for employees in the Midwest, the Milwaukee and Chicago areas. They are job openings in manufacturing, engineering positions. So, we were thinking about posting the job listing online. Not sure what's better, monster.com or careerbuilder.com.

Anyone have some good information on either of these sites? Thanks in advance.

We've found other employees through technical recruiters, and have had success that way, but obviously the cost is significantly higher than posting an add online, so that's why we're considering this option.

We are currently looking for employees in the Midwest, the Milwaukee and Chicago areas. They are job openings in manufacturing, engineering positions. So, we were thinking about posting the job listing online. Not sure what's better, monster.com or careerbuilder.com.

Anyone have some good information on either of these sites? Thanks in advance.

We've found other employees through technical recruiters, and have had success that way, but obviously the cost is significantly higher than posting an add online, so that's why we're considering this option.

1297447[/snapback]

Just curious as to what the cost of doing both would be? Seems like you could do both and still come out cheaper than going through a head-hunter.

I'm a branch manager for a Technical Staffing company in the Seattle area. If you want the most coverage I would go with Monster without a doubt. You will probably pay more however then Carrerbuilders but you will reach a lot more people. Stay away from Hotjobs, it is worthless. I am not sure if you have posted jobs before but you should be warned that you will receive about 1,000 resumes and only a hand few of people who apply will be qualified. You really have to sift through a lot of crap.

Just curious as to what the cost of doing both would be?  Seems like you could do both and still come out cheaper than going through a head-hunter.

1297463[/snapback]

Running an add for 60 days costs $375, but that's per territory. Chicago is split up into multiple territories. So it kinda sucks. This is based on what monster offers, we never really looked into careerbuilder, yet.

As an employer you can browse unlimited resumes for 7 days and that costs $1000. This is another option we are considering.

Recruiters charge 1/3 of the employees starting salary.

I too would go with Monster.

Careerbuilder just seems like a cheap knockoff to me. Not sure why. As for Monster's cost, depending on the size of your company and hiring needs, you can get discounts.

Might I suggest Craigslist.  Not sure of its popularity in your area, but it's gained a  ton of steam in L.A. (began up in San Francisco).  100% free and gets plenty of techie traffic.  Can't hurt to try... then there's always Monster/Career Builder.

1297574[/snapback]

I have heard one of the concerns with Craigslist is that it caters to a lot of job jumpers. The demographic that uses it tends not to be very loyal and trolls for a new job constantly.

:D

Just curious as to what the cost of doing both would be?  Seems like you could do both and still come out cheaper than going through a head-hunter.

1297463[/snapback]

A monster ad costs around $300. We placed an ad last week on Monster, I have over 600 resumes to go over. Quantity over quality with Monster, but you get what you pay for. If we used a recruiter it would have been a heck of a lot more expensive.

I have heard one of the concerns with Craigslist is that it caters to a lot of job jumpers.  The demographic that uses it tends not to be very loyal and trolls for a new job constantly.

:D

1297581[/snapback]

:D Haven't heard that, but I can see the link. Free site for job-seekers. Monster is too, though. So... I dunno.

a bit off the topic, but a good techie site is www.dice.com

1297626[/snapback]

I've heard great things about Dice.com. :D

Dice (although I've found this to be more useful for people strictly in the IT industry and for contractors primarily), Monster, Careerbuilder are the most popular sites.

Craigslist is free, so that's good.

I've gotten some good response from 6figurejobs.com

Engineeringjobs.com is sort of a hack site, but it might be worth your time as well.

Another site is engineerjobs.com as well.

Edited by gilthorp

Dice (although I've found this to be more useful for people strictly in the IT industry and for contractors primarily), Monster, Careerbuilder are the most popular sites.

Craigslist is free, so that's good.

I've gotten some good response from 6figurejobs.com

Engineeringjobs.com is sort of a hack site, but it might be worth your time as well.

Another site is engineerjobs.com as well.

1298474[/snapback]

Good info here. if you have the time to sift thru the bs- Monster is the way to go, Craigs is ok, although they might charge a small fee in NY, as they do in SF.

CareerBuilder tends to draw the same responses as Monster.

And as a Sr. Technical Recruiter/Manager here in Seattle- 33% is high, we typically have fees areound 20%. :D

Haven't looked for a job in 15 years, so I'm not sure where people go today.  However, I get calls from recruiters about every other week.  Don't know where they get my info from. :D

1298516[/snapback]

Company website listing key employees. But usually from contacts with clients or co-workers.