[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greatest inventions of all times

cliaz

I can’t remember where I read this (maybe news week or something at the barber shop.) but they were talking about the greatest inventions of all times. The top three were, in order:

1. Language

2. Internet

3. Government

I think it’s astounding that the internet is right below language. What do you think?

I can’t remember where I read this (maybe news week or something at the barber shop.) but they were talking about the greatest inventions of all times.  The top three were, in order:

1. Language

2. Internet

3. Government

I think it’s astounding that the internet is right below language.  What do you think?

1303541[/snapback]

yes, it is astounding (astoundingly wrong) :D

yes, it is astounding (astoundingly wrong)  :D

1303549[/snapback]

Well if you think about it the intertnet has change everything for the human race (well most of us.). Everything from how we shop, do business, communicate, everything. I can see it up there.

I can’t remember where I read this (maybe news week or something at the barber shop.) but they were talking about the greatest inventions of all times.  The top three were, in order:

1. Language

2. Internet

3. Government

I think it’s astounding that the internet is right below language.  What do you think?

1303541[/snapback]

Yeah, the invention of fire or the wheel pales in comparison with the internet.

EDIT: We didn't invent fire but we invented the means to control it. Semantics.

Edited by MojoMan

There would be no internet without the telephone.

1303551[/snapback]

true but we are not talking about what made what. The phone system did change how we communicated but the internet has had the biggest impact of anything to date on the way we live our lives. Not unless you consider war an invention.

Yeah, the invention of fire or the wheel pales in comparison with the internet.

EDIT:  We didn't invent fire but we invented the means to control it.  Semantics.

1303552[/snapback]

Well the wheel I can see but fire wasn't invented, it is a natural thing.

Okay, i posted this before your edit.

Edited by cliaz

1. Language

2. Internet

3. Government

1303541[/snapback]

Language and government are both societal advancements, neither are inventions. Nor is the Internet - it is an amalgam of the invention of the router, the data packet and several other components. The Internet is an invention in the same way as a building is an invention.

The wheel is completely unrivalled as the most important invention ever, IMO.

How are we defining invention? One could make the case that language and government aren't really inventions either--since they sort of came about naturally and were not the result of a purposeful creative process.

Edited by wiegie

How are we defining invention?  One could make the case that language and government aren't really inventions either--since they sort of came about naturally and were not the result of a purposeful creative process.

1303599[/snapback]

Exactly... and if you do include such things, then I'd say the perfecting of agriculture would be right up at the top.

Language and government are both societal advancements, neither are inventions.  Nor is the Internet - it is an amalgam of the invention of the router, the data packet and several other components.  The Internet is an invention in the same way as a building is an invention.

The wheel is completely unrivalled as the most important invention ever, IMO.

1303592[/snapback]

How are we defining invention?  One could make the case that language and government aren't really inventions either--since they sort of came about naturally and were not the result of a purposeful creative process.

1303599[/snapback]

yeah, advancements in those areas may consist of a long series of inventions, but they as a whole can't really be classified as inevntions. i disagree though that language and government are "not the result of a purposeful creative process". it just can't be pegged as the result of a single, quantifiable purposeful creative process.

You have to go with:

-wheel

-printing press w/ removable type

-Edison's harnessing of electricity

That covers transportation, communication and industry. That pretty well covers it.

Although, Al Gore wants the internet to be listed #2 no doubt.

1303634[/snapback]

That's pretty close. Each represents a massive leap forward.

For those of you with babies and infants... I told my wife the other day that I cannot imagine what life was like for families back before baby wipes were invented. If I had to wipe my kids stanky ass with cloth 6 times a day, and then wash them and reuse them everyday... well, I wouldn't last very long as a good Father and Husband.