[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How many hours a week to do you work?

Perchoutofwater

Which of the following best describes you?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following best describes you?

• Graduated High School and work less than 35 hours a week.
    • Graduated High School and work 36 to 40 hours a week.
    • Graduated High School and work 41-50 hours a week.
    • Graduated High School and work 51-60 hours a week.
    • Graduated High School and work over 60 hours a week.
    • Bachelors Degree work and work less than 35 hours a week
    • Bachelors Degree work 36-40 hours a week
    • Bachelors Degree work 41-50 hours a week
    • Bachelors Degree work 51-60 hours a week
    • Bachelors Degree work over 60 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work less than 35 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work 36-40 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work 41-50 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work 51-60 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work over 60 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work less than 35 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work 36-40 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work 41-50 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work 51-60 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work over 60 hours a week

Wow! One more poll I don't get to vote in. Becoming a tradition here I guess.  :doah:

I don't work any hours a week. In fact, I haven't worked any hours a week since March of 2003. (Well, if you don't count Fusion. But then that is a labor of love more that work.)

1313103[/snapback]

Same gig I'm looking at in 22-27 months, God willing and the creeks dont rise. :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wise man once said that if you find a job that you love you'll never have to go to work. (using that definition of work as me having to do something that I don't really want to be doing, I'd say I work about 5 hours a week)

Edited by wiegie

This is very interesting, and quite shocking. As of right now only 52.94% of high school graduates work more than 40 hours a week. 68% of those with a bachelors degree work more than 40 hours a week. 71.43% of those with masters degrees work more than 40 hours and 90.91% of those with a doctorate work more than 40 hours. So it appears the so-called working class aren't the ones doing the most work, which is some what suprising to even me. On another note it appears that 68.24% of us work more than 40 hours a week, 28% of us average more than 50 hours a week, and 17.65% average over 60 hours a week like I do. Pretty interesting.

This is very interesting, and quite shocking.  As of right now only 52.94% of high school graduates work more than 40 hours a week.  68% of those with a bachelors degree work more than 40 hours a week.  71.43% of those with masters degrees work more than 40 hours and 90.91%  of those with a doctorate work more than 40 hours.  So it appears the so-called working class aren't the ones doing the most work, which is some what suprising to even me.  On another note it appears that 68.24% of us work more than 40 hours a week, 28% of us average more than 50 hours a week, and  17.65% average over 60 hours a week like I do.  Pretty interesting.

1315197[/snapback]

:D And I don't want to say anyone is making a false claim, but I have often heard people claim they work 60 hours a week when the reality is that they don't come close to that.

60 hours a week in a 5 day week means working from 7:30 AM to 8 PM every day with only 1/2 hour break.

Or it means working 8:30 AM to 7 PM every day from Monday to Saturday with only 1/2 hour break.

I know that I work every day from 8:30 to at least 6 and often until 7 on a 5 day work week with 45 minutes on average for lunch. And there's often a support call at night or a stop in for an hour or 2 on the weekends. I am firmly above 45 but almost always less than 50.

:D  And I don't want to say anyone is making a false claim, but I have often heard people claim they work 60 hours a week when the reality is that they don't come close to that.

60 hours a week in a 5 day week means working from 7:30 AM to 8 PM every day with only 1/2 hour break.

Or it means working 8:30 AM to 7 PM every day from Monday to Saturday with only 1/2 hour break.

I know that I work every day from 8:30 to at least 6 and often until 7 on a 5 day work week with 45 minutes on average for lunch.  And there's often a support call at night or a stop in for an hour or 2 on the weekends.  I am firmly above 45 but almost always less than 50.

1315213[/snapback]

That's a good point. When I was teaching at the CC, some quarters I had Day & Night classes 1-3 days per week. I'd get there around 7am for an 8 am class. And I'd get home around 10:30pm. Two-Three 2.5 hour classes and one 4 hour class. So there was dead time, but that was usually spent helping out the secretaries with phone calls and advising, just to make the time pass.

:D  And I don't want to say anyone is making a false claim, but I have often heard people claim they work 60 hours a week when the reality is that they don't come close to that.

1315213[/snapback]

My normal week is a 45 hour week, but when a project is kicking off or rapping up I have to spend a lot more time at work. When they are kicking off, I have to do a lot more work like estimating, scheduling, writing the genera conditions, special conditions, and supplementary conditions for the specifications, soliciting bids, qualifying bids, writting contracts, checking submittals and the such. At the end of a project we do very thurough inspection. The last punch list I did was on a small 25,000 bed expansion for a hospital, and it was well over 100 pages. On one project that finsished last year I was running quality control inspections for a solid month, because you have to first not the deficientcies, and then make sure that the subcontrators go back and correct them. So at the front end and tail end of the job you can look up and you've worked 75 or 80 hours in a week easy, and some times on rare occassions go over 100 hours. During a normal week, where I'm only working 45 hours or so, I'm just going around to my job sites making sure that every thing is running smoothly, and is on schedule. I look for ways to expedite the schedule, look for any potential problems, price any changes the owner or architect want to make, and put out fires. Sometimes particularly during the middle of projects when they are all running smoothly like right now, I don't have to do much at all, except the occassional site inspection, and to be here incase any fires need to be put out, I might only do 20 hours of productive work a week, but still have to be in the office 45 hours a week incase something comes up that needs my attention.

My point is the question wasn't how many many hours a week do you normally work, I think if that was the question the numbers for a lot of us would be much lower, but those of us who work on projects, whether they be construction, advertising, or legal cases, etc... may only work 45-50 hours in a normal week, but when those project come around our hours go way up.

My normal week is a 45 hour week, but when a project is kicking off or rapping up I have to spend a lot more time at work.  When they are kicking off, I have to do a lot more work like estimating, scheduling, writing the genera conditions, special conditions, and supplementary conditions for the specifications, soliciting bids, qualifying bids, writting contracts, checking submittals and the such.  At the end of a project we do very thurough inspection.  The last punch list I did was on a small 25,000 bed expansion for a hospital, and it was well over 100 pages.  On one project that finsished last year I was running quality control inspections for a solid month, because you have to first not the deficientcies, and then make sure that the subcontrators go back and correct them.  So at the front end and tail end of the job you can look up and you've worked 75 or 80 hours in a week easy, and some times on rare occassions go over 100 hours.  During a normal week, where I'm only working 45 hours or so, I'm just going around to my job sites making sure that every thing is running smoothly, and is on schedule.  I look for ways to expedite the schedule, look for any potential problems, price any changes the owner or architect want to make, and put out fires.  Sometimes particularly during the middle of projects when they are all running smoothly like right now,  I don't have to do much at all, except the occassional site inspection, and to be here incase any fires need to be put out, I might only do 20 hours of productive work a week, but still have to be in the office 45 hours a week incase something comes up that needs my attention.

My point is the question wasn't how many many hours a week do you normally work, I think if that was the question the numbers for a lot of us would be much lower, but those of us who work on projects, whether they be construction, advertising, or legal cases, etc... may only work 45-50 hours in a normal week, but when those project come around our hours go way up.

1315242[/snapback]

:D The poll question is "How many hours a week do you work" (edited for grammar :D )

I have had plenty of times when I have worked extreme hours. My longest work day to date is 36 hours straight. I understand. But that's not the norm. Okay, you want to talk abo0ut average and that's fine. But still...70 hours a week is 12 hours monday through Saturday. I'm not saying that you don't do it. What I am saying is that in my experience people significantly over estimate the amount of time they put in. Significantly. If you don't, well, I wasn;t pointing a finger directly at you anyways. I was just making a statement that reflected on your previous assessment.

I was having a discussion with someone earlier today about how long most people work.  My contention that most people with a college degree are normally salaried and generally work more than 40 hours a week.

The minimum I work is 45 hours a week, and that is when things are slow.  I generally over see 3 large projects a year and 3 smaller projects a year.  When a project kicks off for the first month I'm usually working 70-80 hours a week on the larger ones for a month each 60-70 on the smaller ones for 3 to 4 weeks each.  When it comes time for inspections I'm usually working 60-70 for two weeks on the larger projects and and 60-70 hours a week for one week on the smaller ones.  So I figure overall on conservative average I work about 62 hours a week.

How many hours a week do you average?

1313062[/snapback]

:D  The poll question is "How many hours a week do you work" (edited for grammar :D )

1315313[/snapback]

Re-read my origial post. Maybe I didn't word it correctly in the poll question, but anyone that read my original post, knows I was looking for an average, and most people who replyed were talking about avrages.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Re-read my origial post.  Maybe I didn't word  it correctly in the poll question, but anyone that read my original post, knows I was looking for an average, and most people who replyed were talking about avrages.

1315396[/snapback]

Yes, and if you actually read my whole response you would know that I recognized that :D

But still...70 hours a week is 12 hours monday through Saturday.  I'm not saying that you don't do it.  What I am saying is that in my experience people significantly over estimate the amount of time they put in.  Significantly. 

1315313[/snapback]

For three years, prior to closing my business and moving to Iceland, I worked an average of 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. My wife, during that time frame, worked an average of 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. That is not an over estimation... that is fact. During that time frame we took 6 days off in two Sept. which required at least three 18-20 hour days to catch up on backup work. (The middle Sept they wouldn't approve her vacation but we did take her birthday off.)

It does happen. I wouldn't recommend it... but it does happen. Especially if you have a lot of practice like I did while cruising.... habitually putting in 36-48 hour 'days' while underway.

Now, not having to work any hours a week is a thing of beauty. :D

im at work form 830 till about 3.. usually leave earlier when the weather is better and unlike most teachers i dont have work to bring home.. i would say on average i am at work about 30-32 hours a week.

1313275[/snapback]

Same here. Contractually, I need to be here at 7:20 and stay until 2:20. Needless to say, I normally roll in at 7:18 and leave around 2:21, with no work to be done at home. That puts me at an average of 35 hours a week (minus my planning period when I can leave and run errands for about 45 minutes).

im at work form 830 till about 3.. usually leave earlier when the weather is better and unlike most teachers i dont have work to bring home.. i would say on average i am at work about 30-32 hours a week.

Same here.  Contractually, I need to be here at 7:20 and stay until 2:20.  Needless to say, I normally roll in at 7:18 and leave around 2:21, with no work to be done at home.  That puts me at an average of 35 hours a week (minus my planning period when I can leave and run errands for about 45 minutes).

1315515[/snapback]

That is about what my wife who is a teacher does, unless you include all the extracuricular activities she volunteers to sponsors. My wife rarely brings any school work home. She has a block schedule where she has a 45 minute conference/planning period one day, and a 1 1/2 hour conference/planning period the next. Her conference period is right after her lunch period, so on the days when she has the 1 1/2 conference period we ususally go to lunch together. She normally can get all of her grading and planning done in her conference period, as she destests going to the faculty lounge, as she is not one for caty gossip. About the only time she brings work home is at the end of the 6 week grading period to average grades, and when I think about it, she doesn't do that anymore sense they got the new computerized grading software.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

This is very interesting, and quite shocking.  As of right now only 52.94% of high school graduates work more than 40 hours a week.  68% of those with a bachelors degree work more than 40 hours a week.  71.43% of those with masters degrees work more than 40 hours and 90.91%  of those with a doctorate work more than 40 hours.  So it appears the so-called working class aren't the ones doing the most work, which is some what suprising to even me.  On another note it appears that 68.24% of us work more than 40 hours a week, 28% of us average more than 50 hours a week, and  17.65% average over 60 hours a week like I do.  Pretty interesting.

1315197[/snapback]

FYI: You have a totally unscientific and biased sample and hence your conclusion that the "working class" works less than other people is unjustified by the evidence you are using to support it. I'll let you try to figure out why.

A wise man once said that if you find a job that you love you'll never have to go to work.  (using that definition of work as me having to do something that I don't really want to be doing, I'd say I work about 5 hours a week)

1314946[/snapback]

translation: wiegie has 5 hours of class per week, and spends the rest of his time on the huddle.

translation: wiegie has 5 hours of class per week, and spends the rest of his time on the huddle.

1315591[/snapback]

Nope--I have 9 hours of class, but I usually enjoy teaching so I don't count most of it as work. I also have to do a lot of research, but I enjoy doing that too. (I am including things like meetings, grading and stuff like that as work. Although perhaps I should include the time I spend here in the tailgate as work, because sometimes it feels like it.) :D

Edited by wiegie

FYI:  You have a totally unscientific and biased sample and hence your conclusion that the "working class" works less than other people is unjustified by the evidence you are using to support it.  I'll let you try to figure out why.

1315587[/snapback]

Because a lot of the "working class" doesn't have the money to buy a membership to the huddle or a computer once they have bought their lotter tickets, 4 cases of Budwieser, and carton of Marlboros for the week?

Because a lot of the "working class" doesn't have the money to buy a membership to the huddle or a computer once they have bought their lotter tickets, 4 cases of Budwieser, and carton of Marlboros for the week?

1315634[/snapback]

Or they aren't sitting working on computers all day long...

Or they aren't sitting working on computers all day long...

1315794[/snapback]

Already mentioned that in a previousl post, however with the post being up over night, I doubt that has much of an effect on the current numbers.

Already mentioned that in a previousl post, however with the post being up over night, I doubt that has much of an effect on the current numbers.

1315802[/snapback]

Of course it has an effect, and probably one that would skew this poll significantly....

How many of the people that hang out regularly fit into the "pop in over night and vote in tailgate polls" category. I'm thinking not too many. They don;t have the same type of opportunity to bond into the community that lots of us have.

Just because you mentioned it before doesn't take the bias out of the poll :D

I was having a discussion with someone earlier today about how long most people work.  My contention that most people with a college degree are normally salaried and generally work more than 40 hours a week.

The minimum I work is 45 hours a week, and that is when things are slow.  I generally over see 3 large projects a year and 3 smaller projects a year.  When a project kicks off for the first month I'm usually working 70-80 hours a week on the larger ones for a month each 60-70 on the smaller ones for 3 to 4 weeks each.  When it comes time for inspections I'm usually working 60-70 for two weeks on the larger projects and and 60-70 hours a week for one week on the smaller ones.  So I figure overall on conservative average I work about 62 hours a week.

How many hours a week do you average?

1313062[/snapback]

This is a good poll perch, glad you put it up.

I have 2 degrees, and my free lance work can have me working 40 hours a week or I can be in a 80+hour week in addition to being on call if I am in production. $ varies, obviously, but I like what I do so it's almost always worth it.

Of course it has an effect, and probably one that would skew this poll significantly....

How many of the people that hang out regularly fit into the "pop in over night and vote in tailgate polls" category.  I'm thinking not too many.  They don;t have the same type of opportunity to bond into the community that lots of us have.

Just because you mentioned it before doesn't take the bias out of the poll  :D

1315810[/snapback]

yeah, drawing any sort of greater conclusions from this poll is retahded.

also, 50 hours sitting at a desk is a little different than 50 hours of manual labor.

i suppose in some very general sense people who are driven to pursue advanced degrees and the like (especially ones that directly and measurably impact their earning potential a great deal, like doctors and lawyers) might also be driven to work harder and get more out of it.

but then again a lot of people seem to pursue advanced degrees in order to avoid real-world industriousness.

i just don't think there's enough tendency there either way to draw any conclusions, especially not from a silly poll on the tailgate.

yeah, drawing any sort of greater conclusions from this poll is retahded. 

also, 50 hours sitting at a desk is a little different than 50 hours of manual labor. 

i suppose in some very general sense people who are driven to pursue advanced degrees and the like (especially ones that directly and measurably impact their earning potential a great deal, like doctors and lawyers) might also be driven to work harder and get more out of it. 

but then again a lot of people seem to pursue advanced degrees in order to avoid real-world industriousness. 

i just don't think there's enough tendency there either way to draw any conclusions, especially not from a silly poll on the tailgate.

1315940[/snapback]

Very Aztute of you, Az! Stats class will tell you he is correct. I'm the only one in my category, but I do fall into the broad generalizations you're trying to make here.

And can I count the time wasted on here while at work, plus unofficial coffee breaks, and 'cubicle drivebys' by bosses, sub-ords and co-workers?? It all adds up...

Voted Ph.D. and 41-50

I love my job (even if it has me moving to Tejas in April).

and finally a good tailgate poll.

1316067[/snapback]

Where in Tejas? Hey as long as you are not a giants fan you are welcome to come ya damned carpet bagger.