[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How many hours a week to do you work?

Perchoutofwater

Which of the following best describes you?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following best describes you?

• Graduated High School and work less than 35 hours a week.
    • Graduated High School and work 36 to 40 hours a week.
    • Graduated High School and work 41-50 hours a week.
    • Graduated High School and work 51-60 hours a week.
    • Graduated High School and work over 60 hours a week.
    • Bachelors Degree work and work less than 35 hours a week
    • Bachelors Degree work 36-40 hours a week
    • Bachelors Degree work 41-50 hours a week
    • Bachelors Degree work 51-60 hours a week
    • Bachelors Degree work over 60 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work less than 35 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work 36-40 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work 41-50 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work 51-60 hours a week
    • Masters Degree work over 60 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work less than 35 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work 36-40 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work 41-50 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work 51-60 hours a week
    • Doctorate Degree work over 60 hours a week

I was having a discussion with someone earlier today about how long most people work. My contention that most people with a college degree are normally salaried and generally work more than 40 hours a week.

The minimum I work is 45 hours a week, and that is when things are slow. I generally over see 3 large projects a year and 3 smaller projects a year. When a project kicks off for the first month I'm usually working 70-80 hours a week on the larger ones for a month each 60-70 on the smaller ones for 3 to 4 weeks each. When it comes time for inspections I'm usually working 60-70 for two weeks on the larger projects and and 60-70 hours a week for one week on the smaller ones. So I figure overall on conservative average I work about 62 hours a week.

How many hours a week do you average?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted MD, 41-50 but for many weeks throughout the year it is 36 - 40. 

I'm guessing you are going to point out how much harder business owners work than us goofy employees.  And I'd agree with you.

1313069[/snapback]

ditto

I put in 10 hours a day at the office and a minimum of two hours per day (weekends included) at home. If you include travel to and from work and being on the road (about 50% of the time) then my average probably spikes to 75 or 80 hours. I am on an agressive bonus plan so I work hard for those extra $$$.

Wow! One more poll I don't get to vote in. Becoming a tradition here I guess. :doah:

I don't work any hours a week. In fact, I haven't worked any hours a week since March of 2003. (Well, if you don't count Fusion. But then that is a labor of love more that work.)

40 Hours a week plus an additional 10 or so hours a week doing side jobs. Plenty of opportunity being a cop to pick up extra work. BTW I have a BA in Literature with a Teacher's Certificate (High School). Would rather deal with those little f'ers with a vest and a gun then without a vest and a gun.

Wow! One more poll I don't get to vote in. Becoming a tradition here I guess.  :doah:

I don't work any hours a week. In fact, I haven't worked any hours a week since March of 2003. (Well, if you don't count Fusion. But then that is a labor of love more that work.)

1313103[/snapback]

Ever consider coming to China and teaching English? I'm serious it's what I do. I'm loving it, this my my career. Wouldn't mind helping you get started either.

Round eyes? Pulse? Yeah you qualify...

I'm guessing you are going to point out how much harder business owners work than us goofy employees.  And I'd agree with you.

1313069[/snapback]

Not really. I was just curious to see if the majority of workers, particularly those with a college education work over 40 hours a week. I was wondering if my thinking was skewed because I do.

My schedule varies, I am on call 24/7. If you count that it can be a long week. I take a lot of flex time. When I am not busy, I am not in my office. I typically get at least 40 hours in somehow during a week. Then there are weeks like the last few that I have put in 60 to 70 hours. Oh, and I have a bachelors.

I would guess i work under 35 hours, my wife and friends would wonder if i work at all.

No college degree here, just the school of hard knucks. Started working for brothers company at 14 and when i went to college he pulled me away with very generous offer to quit school, never looked back, thankfully! Regret not having my degree, more so for the fun i missed though. :D

But running a plumbing company doesn't require much of what i could have learned half drunk anyways.

This is certainly intersting. The early results show that those with a college education tend to work longer hours than those that did not go to college. This may be distorted as most of us with a college education tend to sit behind a desk during the day and have access to a computer. It will be interesting to see if this trend holds later tonight. Currenlty only 25% of those with a high school degree work more than 40 hours, while 72% of those that have a bachelors degree do, all of those with masters or doctorate degrees work over 40 hours. Like I said I doubt this will hold once those that don't have access to a computer during the day are able to get on tonight, but if it does it will certainly be shocking.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Ever consider coming to China and teaching English? I'm serious it's what I do. I'm loving it, this my my career. Wouldn't mind helping you get started either.

1313135[/snapback]

I think yuke would do well in that job. :D

Ever consider coming to China and teaching English? I'm serious it's what I do. I'm loving it, this my career. Wouldn't mind helping you get started either.

1313135[/snapback]

:D

What an interesting idea/career. I think someone else here does that too.... or was looking into it.

Thanks for the offer... However, at 60, I'm not looking for any new career. Though I must say it is interesting for sure.