[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Welcome to Wal-Mart

CaP'N GRuNGe

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 problems with Wal Mart. 1, I hate the shopping experience - thus don't shop there.

But on a bigger scale, I don't know that its good for America to have one gigantic retailer that has so much more pull than any other. They eclipse every other store chain and most of them put together.

I love Wal*Mart because you never know what sort of crazy sh|t you are going to see or hear.

The Walmart closest to my home is the one that made the national news with people getting trampled back on the Friday after Thanksgiving (and it is the Walmart on the nice side of town).

In the past few months I have:

1)  Seen a used home pregancy test kit laying on the asphalt in the parking lot (sorry, but I wasn't brave enough to go look close enough to see whether it was positive or negative)

2)  Listened to a woman at the jewelry counter ask about 5 different people how long 30 meters was.  She was trying to buy a watch for her husband and saw that the watch was water-resistant and wanted to know how deep he could go.  None of the people she asked had any idea how long 30 meters was.  So, me being the nice guy that I am went over and told her that 30 meters was about 100 feet.  She then asked me if her husband would be able to wear the watch in their swimming pool.  Seriously.

3)  A few days ago I was using their automatic machine to enlarge some photos and I got to listen to a man talk on his cell-phone the whole time he was buying some CD's at the counter.  His whole conversation was about how his girlfriend is smart enough to only work for cash so that they don't take away her foodstamps.  I gave him one of those funny looks and shook my head in disgust, but he didn't seem to care in the least.

4)  A few months ago when somebody first posted one of the links to the sex-offender databases I searched for people in my zipcode.  Then a few days later I went to Walmart and happened to notice that one of the workers there looked familiar for some reason.  One my way home it dawned on me why he looked familiar and I went back to the website and looked him up again.  Then when I went back to Walmart a few days later I checked his name-tag and sure enough it was the same guy.  (I did check and it seemed that he was convicted of the least severe sex offense, so maybe he just got caught peeing outside, or maybe he is a mass child-rapist who plea-bargained down to a lesser offense--stupid sex offender registration laws make it basically impossible to know the difference.)

Of course all of this can be ignored because, for example, they had an 8-bottle wine refrigerator on clearance for $25 (making it so that even the poorest person can serve their Ripple at the proper temperature).

1314890[/snapback]

:D Same reason I go.

Last weekend this guy had his daughter (she was about 6-7 years old) over his knee just spanking the $hit out of her. I think the whole store could hear her screaming. Kinda freaked me out really.

Countless others. You just never know what you're going to see. Cheap entertainment. :D

What most of the fu*king dolts who love WalMart so much fail to realize is that the company's goal is to drive EVERY OTHER REATAILER in the country out of business. They are, to this point, doing a fine job of it. And when they are the only game in town, how much do you think we'll be paying for our milk and bird seed? :D

Edited by Big F'n Dave

What most of the fu*king dolts who love WalMart so much fail to realize is that the company's goal is to drive EVERY OTHER REATAILER in the country out of business. They are, to this point, doing a fine job of it. And when they are the only game in town, how much do you think we'll be paying for our milk and bird seed?  :D

1315299[/snapback]

Isn't that the purpose of every retailer? :D

What most of the fu*king dolts who love WalMart so much fail to realize is that the company's goal is to drive EVERY OTHER REATAILER in the country out of business. They are, to this point, doing a fine job of it. And when they are the only game in town, how much do you think we'll be paying for our milk and bird seed?  :D

1315299[/snapback]

Who the hell cares about bird seed. Let the bird go, it is probably like you and would rather have a worm in it's mouth than birdseed anyway. :D

1315299[/snapback]

Seriously though, there are still plenty of us who would rather go to a small store and pay a little more than fight the crowds and the filth at a Wal-mart. Besides, it is just part of evolution. How many drive in movie theaters are there now?

ah no

1315550[/snapback]

Ah, you don't know much about business do you? Stick to filling those little heads with mush. Every business wants to gain and hold as much of a market share as they can. I want to have the largest market share that my workforce can handle in my area, and so does every other construction company in my area. That is just business. Why do liberals hate capitalism?

And when they are the only game in town, how much do you think we'll be paying for our milk and bird seed?  :D

1315299[/snapback]

Probably the same low prices that Walmart is already charging given that they will not become a monopoly retailer.

(Do you have any evidence that Walmart stores raise their prices in communities after the local stores go out of business? I have seen no such evidence that this happens--AND given that Walmart also sells items online, they will have a hard time trying to raise prices in stores in communities where they do have the potential for monopoly power.)

Ah, you don't know much about business do you?  Stick to filling those little heads with mush.  Every business wants to gain and hold as much of a market share as they can.  I want to have the largest market share that my workforce can handle in my area, and so does every other construction company in my area.  That is just business.  Why do liberals hate capitalism?

1315560[/snapback]

Perch's Dad to Perch: "Son, I have some bad news for you--we are losing $10,000 on each project that we are undertaking."

Perch's reply to his dad: "That's ok, Dad, I have some good news for you--I just sealed the deal on 100 new projects."

Dad's reaction: :doah:

(Businesses should profit-maximize, not market-share-maximize.)

Ah, you don't know much about business do you?  Stick to filling those little heads with mush.  Every business wants to gain and hold as much of a market share as they can.  I want to have the largest market share that my workforce can handle in my area, and so does every other construction company in my area.  That is just business.  Why do liberals hate capitalism?

1315560[/snapback]

Perch's Dad to Perch:  "Son, I have some bad news for you--we are losing $10,000 on each project that we are undertaking."

Perch's reply to his dad:  "That's ok, Dad, I have some good news for you--I just sealed the deal on 100 new projects."

Dad's reaction:  :doah:

1315641[/snapback]

I think the bolded portion agrees with what you are saying.

Perch's Dad to Perch:  "Son, I have some bad news for you--we are losing $10,000 on each project that we are undertaking."

Perch's reply to his dad:  "That's ok, Dad, I have some good news for you--I just sealed the deal on 100 new projects."

Dad's reaction:  :doah:

1315641[/snapback]

well, as you well know, maximizing sales/market-share is essentially how you maximize profit. if your profit is relatively fixed at X dollars per sale, then you make more profit by selling more. obviously, if you're not turning a per-unit profit, then market share is the least of your business' worries. every business is always trying to expand and take business from its competition...this, i believe, was perch's point and it's obviously true.

(Do you have any evidence that Walmart stores raise their prices in communities after the local stores go out of business?

1315631[/snapback]

Other than having seen it with my own two eyes? No. :D

wiegie don't be an hindquarter!!!

It is called Supply and Demand.........take out the other suppliers and just have your walmart then it is quite obviouse that they can and will charge any price they want for there is no other place to go!!!!

Demand stays the same but the supply becomes limited .....hence the greater the demand and the lesser supply =  charge what ever you want and can get away with!!!! :D

1315879[/snapback]

Just a word to the wise...Weigie is the last guy here you should be preaching basic economic principles to. Especially in a belitting manner.

The thing that I hate most about Wal*Mart is the parking lot.  I cannot believe that they are such a clusterf*ck, with everyone going the wrong way and the lines being so messed up.  I cannot believe there are not more road rage incidents in the parking lot!

1315521[/snapback]

I forgot about the parking lot. You take your life in your hands when you park there. I wonder if people think they are supposed to drive in the opposite direction of the arrows --> <-- painted on the pavement. :D:D

This pretty much sums up the arguments against Wal-Mart:

Wal-Mart is bad for America

1. Wal-Mart destroys more jobs than it creates. A new Wal-Mart destroys jobs by putting local merchants out of business. The jobs Wal-Mart creates are fewer, lower-paying and mostly part-time. (Good Jobs First)

2. Wal-Mart burdens public health care programs. Most jobs at Wal-Mart have little or no health benefits. Wal-Mart encourages its workers to seek public assistance for their health care. In Georgia, 10,000 children of Wal-Mart employees were enrolled in the public health insurance program. (NOW with Bill Moyers, AFL-CIO)

3. Wal-Mart exploits workers. The average hourly worker makes just $18,000 dollars a year. Meanwhile, in 2002, the corporation raked in $6.6 billion in profits. Wal-Mart has known for years that many of its stores violate child labor laws and state regulations requiring work breaks - but has done little, if anything, to stop it. (Mother Jones, New York Times)

4. Wal-Mart degrades the environment. The federal government charged Wal-Mart with violating the Clean Water Act in 17 locations across the country. Run-off from Wal-Mart construction sites polluted drinking water, streams and lakes. To settle the charges Wal-Mart agreed to pay a $1 million dollar fine. (EPA)

AND:

Proponents of Wal-Mart tout their low prices - and the positive impact they have on the purchasing power of consumers. But Wal-Mart is able to provide low prices because they are heavily subsidized by taxpayers. In addition to relying on public health care for their employees, Wal-Mart has benefited from over $1 billion in economic development subsidies. (Good Jobs First)

Source: HERE--Has good links to studies--

Edited by cre8tiff

1. Wal-Mart destroys more jobs than it creates. A new Wal-Mart destroys jobs by putting local merchants out of business. The jobs Wal-Mart creates are fewer, lower-paying and mostly part-time. (Good Jobs First)

2. Wal-Mart burdens public health care programs. Most jobs at Wal-Mart have little or no health benefits. Wal-Mart encourages its workers to seek public assistance for their health care. In Georgia, 10,000 children of Wal-Mart employees were enrolled in the public health insurance program. (NOW with Bill Moyers, AFL-CIO)

3. Wal-Mart exploits workers. The average hourly worker makes just $18,000 dollars a year. Meanwhile, in 2002, the corporation raked in $6.6 billion in profits. Wal-Mart has known for years that many of its stores violate child labor laws and state regulations requiring work breaks - but has done little, if anything, to stop it. (Mother Jones, New York Times)

4. Wal-Mart degrades the environment. The federal government charged Wal-Mart with violating the Clean Water Act in 17 locations across the country. Run-off from Wal-Mart construction sites polluted drinking water, streams and lakes. To settle the charges Wal-Mart agreed to pay a $1 million dollar fine. (EPA)

AND:

Proponents of Wal-Mart tout their low prices - and the positive impact they have on the purchasing power of consumers. But Wal-Mart is able to provide low prices because they are heavily subsidized by taxpayers. In addition to relying on public health care for their employees, Wal-Mart has benefited from over $1 billion in economic development subsidies. (Good Jobs First)

1315996[/snapback]

that is all pure bullchit propaganda. :D

well, as you well know, maximizing sales/market-share is essentially how you maximize profit.  if your profit is relatively fixed at X dollars per sale, then you make more profit by selling more.  obviously, if you're not turning a per-unit profit, then market share is the least of your business' worries.  every business is always trying to expand and take business from its competition...this, i believe, was perch's point and it's obviously true.

1315729[/snapback]

for the record, I was just rehashing the old joke about the person who is losing money on every sale but who is trying to make it up by increasing volume.

http://www.morebusiness.com/running_your_b...bility/tip1.brc

AND:

1315996[/snapback]

that is all pure bullchit propaganda.  :D

1316050[/snapback]

Have to agree with Az here.

I know #4 is pure BS. On construction sites the general contractor or construction manager is responsible for the storm water polution prevention plan and for maintaining the SWPPP. While 17 fo the sites might have been sited, it wouldn't be Wal-Mart that got sited, it would be the general contractor or construction manager.

What most of the fu*king dolts who love WalMart so much fail to realize is that the company's goal is to drive EVERY OTHER REATAILER in the country out of business.

This is demonstratably false, and has been proven with scientific study. I think the reason your fisrt hand experience is different is becuase you are a crackwh0re fiend who lives in the ghetto, hence there is no business there. Thanks for playing though, it is nice to know you at least have the memory to recite michael moores anti-walmart talking points.

About 10 years ago, a Walmart Supercenter went in on the side of town all by itself in a deserted area. Now, the whole area is covered is stores, banks, resturants, etc. Golf shops, hallmarks, you name it, they are there.

I step foot in a walmart twice per year, once to refill my 3 propane tanks for outdoor grills, and once to renew my fishing license. I get it there cause I can also stock up on ammo and fishing supplies.

I don't hate walmart, I just hate going to walmart.

And cre8tiff, you are a moran.