[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hot and ground

AtomicCEO

I'm not an electrician, but I partially diasgree. If you short out 110 volts and 25 amps, or 220 volts and 10 amps, the 220 shot is gonna be a lot more dangerous, no?

1328142[/snapback]

No, the amplitude of the wave is what causes the damage inside you. 220 will be hot sure enough, but CEO is right the Amps are what kills you. The volts will just burn you, though large amounts of it passing through your heart CAN kill. Although both examples above will kill you.

For more info click ---> :D

EDIT: How do I know? 1) My dad was an electrician 2) Experience, having welded many a pair of wirecutters!! :D

Edited by cre8tiff

Your skin has a lot of resistance, fortunately. Don't try it with a small cut on your hand or you'll be hurtin' worse.

0.1 Amps (100mA for :D ) alternating current is enough to make it quite difficult to remove your hand. It doesn't take a lot. Higher voltage is bad because of Ohm's law, V=IR -> I = V/R. The current drawn is directly proportional to the voltage with a fixed resistance, your skin. So, if your dealing with 220V, 10A; you're not really carrying a full 10A through your chest. If so, you'd be dead.

Ever touched the sparking end of a red-push button igniter on your gas grill? That's 12,000 - 15,000 volts generated from a piezo-ceramic. It doesn't produce enough current to do any damage, though. Spark away. The new electronic igniters? Those are typically 8kV-10kV, and the electronic circuitry is a) current limited with a resistor in series with the spark circuitry, and :D the high voltage is generated with a cheap fly-forward oscillating transformer circuit and a little battery. They can't hurt you, either, but they kick out a lot of volts.

:D

Ever touched the sparking end of a red-push button igniter on your gas grill?  That's 12,000 - 15,000 volts generated from a piezo-ceramic.  It doesn't produce enough current to do any damage, though.  Spark away. 

1328849[/snapback]

Actually yes, I removed one from a grill and discovered that it was still functional and was entirely unpleasant to hold when sparking. Sort of surprising what a jolt the little thing can give you.

Just a helpful tip born from experience, when you are standing on a ten foot ladder replacing those 3' long flourescent bulbs and wonder if you need to put a finger in both ends to be shocked or just either end to be shocked, the answer is either end will slap light you up. Trust me.  :D  :D  :D  :D

1328168[/snapback]

I've been on the wrong end of this one as well ... (shorter ladder) ... and I swear I can still taste the ejuice all these years later. :D

We had a frayed ext cord( I didn't know-I throw away all ? cords) on the job a few years back running off the temp pole, and the 24' aluminum ext ladder was laid across it, one of my crew reached down to grab it-BAM!!!! Knocked his ass about 5' back and warmed his fillings in his teeth-SOB was lucky, as it was the 220 cord.

• 1 year later...

Replacing old outlets today. Wired it up. Plugged in a lamp. Flipped the breaker back on.

Hmmm... it works in the bottom plug, but not in the top... maybe this wire is loose. I'll just hold the outlet in my left hand and wiggle the wire with my right hand and-

:D:D:D

:wacko: Yup. I got 2007's lesson in there with just a month to go.

120V wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But it still sucks ass.

Replacing old outlets today. Wired it up. Plugged in a lamp. Flipped the breaker back on.

Hmmm... it works in the bottom plug, but not in the top... maybe this wire is loose. I'll just hold the outlet in my left hand and wiggle the wire with my right hand and-

:D:D:D

:wacko: Yup. I got 2007's lesson in there with just a month to go.

120V wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But it still sucks ass.

Some people just never, ever, learn. :D

Atomic subscribs to the "You don't have to hit me with a rock three times....twice will do nicely" theory of learning.

;)

Some people just never, ever, learn. :D

Atomic subscribs to the "You don't have to hit me with a rock three times....twice will do nicely" theory of learning.

After posting this... my wife reminded me that I already electrocuted myself once this year. Funny how my memory of it is getting fuzzy. :D

I glad you jumped in though... I was reading through this old thread and thinking "It's too bad Sky doesn't post as much as he used to."

And then you came in and mocked me. :wacko: Careful what you wish for.

P.S. A Google search showed me what I'm doing wrong with the outlet. Those little tabs on the side that connect the top to the bottom are key. Who needs professional electricians when you have google? (ZZZzzzzzTTT... DAMN!!!)

Edited by AtomicCEO

Just a helpful tip born from experience, when you are standing on a ten foot ladder replacing those 3' long flourescent bulbs and wonder if you need to put a finger in both ends to be shocked or just either end to be shocked, the answer is either end will slap light you up. Trust me. :D:wacko::D:D

Oh yeah. Been there, done that as well. :D

Amps will kill. DC KILLS absolutely. Electricity is everywhere(practically) in Volt form.

Funny a guy living in the land of Tesla continues to get shocked :D

So you think that it's over,

Say your love has fin'lly reached the end.

Any time you call, night or day,

I'll be right there for you if you need a friend.

It's gonna take a little time.

Time is sure to mend your broken heart.

Don't you even worry, pretty darlin'.

I know you'll find love again. Yeah.

Chorus:

Love is all around you.

Love is knockin' outside the door.

Waitin' for you is this love made just for two

Keep an open heart and you'll find love again, I know.

Love is all around you.

Love is knockin' outside the door.

Waitin' for you is this love made just for two

Keep an open heart and you'll find love again, I know.

Chorus / Outro:

Love will find a way.

Darlin', love is gonna find a way,

Find its way back to you.

Love will find a way.

So look around, open your eyes.

Love is gonna find a way.

Love is gonna, love is gonna find a way.

Love will find a way.

Love's gonna find a way back to you, yeah,

I know. I know. I know

I (Amps)= E (volts) / R (resistance)

As you can see if E (voltage) increases and R (resistance) remains the same I current (amps) will increase.

If you are standing barefoot in water your resistance will be near zero.

If you have the leads in your mouth likewise.

Skin resistance is high but sweaty skin is not.

Best not to take any chances.

AH, this reminds me of a funny story from college. Me and two friends are at one guy's place. Well, his mom's, and it is more of a ranch. THe pens are surrounded by an electric fence. Well ,we were feeding some apples or carrots or something to a couple of the horses. Two of us are up on the fence leaning against it, no problem. We step down and our other buddy gets up there and WHAM he gets zapped. Heflew back about 10 feet and was all looped up. He was fine about 15 minutes later. I still laught to this day when I think of it since it didn't happen to me.