[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sylvester Stallone aka Rocky..

aterry1979

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Rocky would have no defense against the Crane. None.

The thing is....he'd get knocked down 10 times from the crane kick, but keep coming...eventually pummeling the Kid to with a barrage of body shots that would make Ivan Drago cry.... :D

Stallone launched himself as he wrote Rocky and when Hollywood loved the script he insisted on being Rocky or he would not allow them to do the movie. Stallone is a great story but it's a little much to make him out to be a boxing hero.

No one makes him out to be a boxing hero but people like you that want/need something else to bust on. Like I said, it's what the character embodies that people celebrate, not his boxing skills, lol.

No one makes him out to be a boxing hero but people like you that want/need something else to bust on. Like I said, it's what the character embodies that people celebrate, not his boxing skills, lol.

Then why a bronze statue of Rocky with boxing gloves? Why not a statue of Ali who went through more then Stallone did in his life to become an American Hero.

Then why a bronze statue of Rocky with boxing gloves? Why not a statue of Ali who went through more then Stallone did in his life to become an American Hero.

Listen, it is Philadelphia, they'll take a championship any way they can get it. The real things doesn't work out as well as fiction, so they are taking what they can get.

Its an interesting topic, so here is a Philadelphia-area persepective:

The first Rocky came out in 1976, and the movie took hold of the nation's imagination of how an underdog could capture the heart of a city. It was so impressive a film, it won the Academy Award for Best Picture. There is no question that, from a sports persepective, it is one of the top movies of all-time.

At the time, in the Philadelphia area, it was one more feather in our "blue-collar" persona. The Philadelphia Flyers (aka the Broad Street Bullies), led by a gritty undersized diabetic named Bobby Clarke, we're coming off their 2nd-consectutive Stanley Cup, and the city was amid a sea of "overacheiving underdog" mentality. Mix in the Rocky element, and the city emblazened a "blue-collar, hard-working, non-flashy" personality.

Most Philadelphians remember with fondness the time when the entire city felt on top of the world. From 1976-1986, we lived thru multiple appearances in the World Series/Super Bowl/NBA Finals/Stanley Cup finals from all four major sports teams, in addition to the first three Rocky movies (which were all good in their own way). There is no question that, as we sit here in 2006, the reference to Rocky sparks a memory of a great time for residents here in Brotherly Love.

Today, that "blue-collar" personality exists more in the media than in real life. Sans the Eagles, the sports fans here are basically frustrated with all of our under-performing teams. The city's new stadiums have taken the blue-collar guy out of the seat, and replaced him with a corporate pharmaceutical sales rep, and his client. We are no different than most of the other residents of the entire northeast...we all wear that "tough city" nametag...Boston, NY, Philly....all very similar personalities.

But what the nation get's fed each and every time a Philly team is on TV? A steady diet of cheesestake references, shots of Independence Hall, and of course, the Rocky statue/theme. The statue still exists not for us residents to gander at each day...but for tourists to want to see/have their picture next to it. The CVB and marketing folks get more use out of it than anyone else, though to be honest, its still cool to see it when you drive by.

Yes, we cheer when the Rocky music is played before games...just like most fans cheer when music is played when their teams come out of the locker rooms. I guess it appears like its always the Rocky theme, since it is played frequently. I would guess that in football, since its more of a physical game, so you get the connection to a boxer/slugfest to a much larger degree.

And yes, Stallone gets his money's worth milking the link he has with Philly, and to be fair, we have adopted him as one of our own. He seems a good guy, has given back to our community, and promoted Philly in a positive way. So while most residents don't promote the Rocky connection, we certainly have no reason to purposely avoid it.

And since Stallone is still making Rocky movies 30 years later, the connection to Philly will always be prevelant whenever the city is in the spotlight.

Hope that wasn't too preachy, and is only one person's rant.

I still think the most inspirational story from the world of film comes from Dallas. See, there was this down on her luck girl, who was given very little chance to ever make something out of herself. Her name was Debbie, and she didn't care what the odds were, she wanted to be a somebody.......Well, that girl grew up and 'did' an entire city. A truly inspirational story if there ever was one.

I agree that most Stallone movies are crap. But he was born to play Rocky one of the best characters ever put to film. Also, he was pretty good in:

The Lords of Flatbush

F.I.S.T.

Nighthawks

First Blood

Victory

After that....blah...

I would ad one more Sly movie to the list of good ones - Get Carter

And another---Cliffhanger.

While the acting was terrible.......

Oh c'mon man....terrible acting?

I thought Sly's Billy Idol twisted lip, while hanging upside down suspended over the gorge, before the chick slips out of her glove & falls to her death, was lip acting at it's very finest...Oscar worthy even :D

I'm always up for a movie with John Boy's kindly dad in it & John Lithgow plays a very impressive psychopathic villain. :D

I did enjoy that movie.

The staute was made for Rocky III. It's in the movie itself. Why not keep it in Philly once the movie was completed?

The staute was made for Rocky III. It's in the movie itself. Why not keep it in Philly once the movie was completed?

Exactly...it's a movie prop! The city of Philadelphia didn't make it to honor Rocky in real life. Maybe you should get out of fantasy land and join the real world!

Edited by Dirty Sanchez

Stallone launched himself as he wrote Rocky and when Hollywood loved the script he insisted on being Rocky or he would not allow them to do the movie. Stallone is a great story but it's a little much to make him out to be a boxing hero.

Wow! You really do have a problem differentiating reality from fiction. Get over it!

It was made for the movie Rocky III. He threw his motorcycle helmet at it if you remember. :D If Hollywood wanted it, I don't think Philly would put up too much of a fight.

Listen, it is Philadelphia, they'll take a championship any way they can get it. The real things doesn't work out as well as fiction, so they are taking what they can get.

:D

You're a dope. By the way, how many NBA Championships does Pittsburgh have?

Exactly...it's a movie prop! The city of Philadelphia didn't make it to honor Rocky in real life. Maybe you should get out of fantasy land and join the real world!

Who, me? I am dude. Just pointing out the same thing you said to Cowboyz1.

I would ad one more Sly movie to the list of good ones - Get Carter

Actually I do agree on that. That was a pretty decent flick. Cliffhanger was ok, but that was one of those movies where he talks too much. In Get Carter he was more of just a badass. Didnt speak much unless he was telling you how he would kill you.

Rocky is not considereda boxing hero by anyone. The story is just used as inspiration. It is about the guy who comes from nothing and, against all odds, becomes a champion. It could have been any sport, but it just so happened that it was about boxing.