[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why Blu-Ray won't catch on...

TimC

quick someone anyone...what company is the largest renter of DVD/VHS etc etc???

I believe that the answer is BLOCKBUSTER and guess how many ADULT or PRON Titles they have rented since they have been in exsistence?

ZERO....how do I know this...well i used to own my own video store(video delivery only) and when I was doing my research of BB I found out they didnt carry PRON

so I guess my point is that you can be successful in the "video" industry without Pron

not only that, but, last i checked, they don't carry unrated or NC-17 movies, either -- because, as we all know, those are just codewords for pr0n.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suicide Kings is a great flick(i will have to watch the alternate ending now)

The funny thing is that the alternate ending was the original ending, and it fits in better with the tone of the movie. Once you see it, you'll realize how stupid the ending the finally slapped together really is.

or this:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/20/blu_ray_hd_dvd_hybrid/

Warner patents Blu-ray/HD DVD hybrid disc

Mark Raby

September 20, 2006 11:14

Los Angeles (CA) - The battle for high-definition disc dominance has made few ripples in the non-videophile population. Still, most of the big movie studios have pledged support for either Blu-ray or HD DVD, and a few, like Warner Bros, have begun to release movies on both formats. Warner wants to take that one step further and just begin printing discs that can encoded as any combination of a hybrid of two formats, between DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray.

According to the filed patent, "a general problem with multiple formats of discs is that disc manufacturers must make various types of discs of each type in order to satisfy consumer demand for the content on those discs." On the other end of the chain, "a consumer that owns a standard DVD disc player can only play DVDs with a standard format. A consumer with a Blu ray recorder can only play Blu-ray format recordable discs. And a consumer with an HD-DVD disc player can only play HD-DVD discs or standard format DVDs, but not Blu-ray format discs," the Warner engineers wrote.

The most prevalent technical difference between Blu-ray and HD DVD is that the discs are read at a depth of 0.1 millimeters and 0.6 millimeters, respectively. The proposed disc would be manufactured such that an HD DVD player would be able to effectively skip over the Blu-ray disc level and read the data embedded 0.6 millimeters into the disc, but a BD player could still recognize the data on the 0.1 millimeter level.

An ordinary DVD movie could be pressed on the reverse side of the disc. This would indeed be an expensive venture to create, and also to support. Consumers would probably also have to swallow some of the extra cost when purchasing the movie, even though they would likely only want one of the encoded versions. It could also put the HD DVD vs. Blu-ray battle in an interesting position. If movie studios got on board with the new format, it would mean hardware would be the sole determiner of the blue laser disc wars, and not the selection of movies available.

Holographic discs may make both disc obsolete in the future. They have already announced the capicity to hold 1 TB per disc. So much for 20-25 GB on Bluray and HDDVD, although there is news that riteck has developed a 10 layer disc for Bluray and HD DVD, problem is the current lasers can't read them.

nah Blu Ray has a place since it is able to hold more info then HD DVD...also read there is a chance that going forward studios may be layering both HDDVD and BLURay on the same disc....plus BluRay evidently has the plus that from a software standpoint fitting more info on it then HD Dvd is gonna help it

Beta was superior to VHS.

Beta was superior to VHS.

We had a Beta player growing up. It had a wired remote control. I watched SNL every Sunday morning on it. I also watched Eddie Murphy's "Delirious" too many times to count. Good times.

imo that is why BluRay wont die, it may not win but it will at least coexsist, and as I stated earlier there is word that studios are going to put out MultiFormat Discs later in 2007....supposedly I think LG was supposed to be introducing the 1st MULTI Format player at CES this yr...not sure if they did or not

LG has made one. Saw it at CES this year. And if CES is any indication, Blu-Ray will become the top dog. With the exception of a couple of manufactuers, everyone and there dog was touting Blu-Ray

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from the local Cambridge Soundworks store. I went there because my Onkyo 6 disc DVD carousel is having problems, and I was investigating getting it fixed versus replacing it. for $25 they will look at it and see if it's worth fixing, and then either charge me the difference between the evaluation and the repair or credit me $50 towards a new player. Good deal.

Anyways, I was talking to one of the sales associates about replacing the carousel and HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray. He said that the Blu-Ray players, while visually impressive, have tons of problems and most that get bought get returned. At the moment, only some Sony TVs can take full advantage of the technology (2 total TVs on the entire market). On top of that, they can;t even keep the demo running in the store because the player locks up so frequently.

Conversely, he said that they can't even keep the display models in stock for HD-DVD, with people paying almost full retail for the demo model. They have not seen many problems with the players, and the market is showing a strong trend that HD-DVD will win the war.

He also said not to waste too much money on a standard DVD player, because the conversion to HD-DVD will be quick. The disks being in the same physical format combined with the reverse compatibility with people's DVD collection will lead to a quich hardware change, and new disks will not be compatible with old players.

Just unsubstantiated stuff from a 24 year old sales person at CSW, but I have found these guys to know their stuff.

I just got back from the local Cambridge Soundworks store. I went there because my Onkyo 6 disc DVD carousel is having problems, and I was investigating getting it fixed versus replacing it. for $25 they will look at it and see if it's worth fixing, and then either charge me the difference between the evaluation and the repair or credit me $50 towards a new player. Good deal.

Anyways, I was talking to one of the sales associates about replacing the carousel and HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray. He said that the Blu-Ray players, while visually impressive, have tons of problems and most that get bought get returned. At the moment, only some Sony TVs can take full advantage of the technology (2 total TVs on the entire market). On top of that, they can;t even keep the demo running in the store because the player locks up so frequently.

Conversely, he said that they can't even keep the display models in stock for HD-DVD, with people paying almost full retail for the demo model. They have not seen many problems with the players, and the market is showing a strong trend that HD-DVD will win the war.

He also said not to waste too much money on a standard DVD player, because the conversion to HD-DVD will be quick. The disks being in the same physical format combined with the reverse compatibility with people's DVD collection will lead to a quich hardware change, and new disks will not be compatible with old players.

Just unsubstantiated stuff from a 24 year old sales person at CSW, but I have found these guys to know their stuff.

i cant really speak about the other Blu-Ray players but I can tell you that I have had ZERO problems with my PS3 and at $499 for the 20GB PS3 you cant beat it just as a stand alone Blu-Ray Player....

it's safe to come on over to the Blu side :D

• 6 months later...
My dvd player shot craps this week, so now I have NO idea what to buy. :D

if you're not sure about the high def formats...think about an up-conversion player...

if you get a good one, it's not bad...

I own 2 up-conversion players along with a blu-ray player and until one of the high def formats gets a "full" lineup, I'll still need my up-conversion players...

if you're not sure about the high def formats...think about an up-conversion player...

if you get a good one, it's not bad...

I own 2 up-conversion players along with a blu-ray player and until one of the high def formats gets a "full" lineup, I'll still need my up-conversion players...

I actually thought about just getting a cheap Toshiba $49 player from Best Buy. At this point we are watching kids videos and an occasional movie, and in the 18 months or so will be upgrading to all high def stuff.

I should probably do that until I'm ready to make the full plunge, and by then maybe this will sort itself out.

I actually thought about just getting a cheap Toshiba $49 player from Best Buy. At this point we are watching kids videos and an occasional movie, and in the 18 months or so will be upgrading to all high def stuff.

I should probably do that until I'm ready to make the full plunge, and by then maybe this will sort itself out.

well, if you definately plan on making a serious decision...then the cheap 50.00 player sounds about right...I see decent up-conversion players for 80, but that's more than half what you're spending added on top...

if you're gonna buy an upconverting DVD player, spend 150 and get an oppo.

yeah, the thing is...at that point, why not buy a HD format player and you can still cup-convert your regular DVD's while being able to rent/buy high definition movies...

if he wants to wait a year to make a decision, that makes it even easier because neither format should have a player over 199 at that point...

the only thing positive out of this format war is that the price for players are going down way faster than they did when DVD first entered the scene....

those players were too expensive for too long...

• 3 weeks later...

Breaking: More Info in on Paramount's Move to HD DVD

Paramount has issued a press release providing more details on the studio's just announced move to support HD DVD exclusively.

According the the press release, the studio will exclusively support HD DVD format on a worldwide basis, including all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

The studio says it will launch its exclusive HD DVD program with the release of 'Blades of Glory' on August 28th (a release which was previously announced for both formats), and will follow with two of the biggest grossing movies of the year 'Transformers' and 'Shrek the Third.'

:D

Paramount telling Sony to stick it? :D