[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears RB's

Perchoutofwater

Before the game, I was 95% sure that the Bears would be trading Thomas Jones this off season. Now after Benson's wonderful performance, I have some serious doubts about this. I'm a hugh Benson fan (primarily because I'm a Texas fan), but this is two knee injuries in two years, and honestly not a lot of production. I wonder if Benson could have come back in the game? I've seen him come back from worse "looking" injuries in college, but at Texas didn't have Thomas Jones in the backfield too. I have Thomas Jones and Benson in a number of dynasty leagues, and was really looking forward to next year, hoping that Jones would be traded, but now it looks to me like the Bears can't afford to trade Jones away from a football standpoint, and I don't think they can afford to trade Benson away from a cap stand point. I was just wondering what the rest of ya'll thought both prior to and after last night's game.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I've always thought that Benson was overrated coming out of college. And, although I'm not a Bears homer, Benson hasn't shown me that much. It seems like some people go out of there way to find good things about him. "Running hard" is not all that impressive to me.

I think the Bears will be making a big mistake if they let Jones go in the offseason with the intention of having Benson be the primary ballcarrier.

All I can say is they must have thought this was a serious injury to keep him out. If his knee is shredded, that will suck.

However, I'm more inclined to think that he was held out due to the helmet to helmet hit, and not the knee.

It will be interesting to see the extent of the damage.

I am a Jones fan, I hope they don't get rid of him. Let Benson rot as far as I'm concerned. Adrian Peterson would make a fine back up.

All I can say is they must have thought this was a serious injury to keep him out. If his knee is shredded, that will suck.

However, I'm more inclined to think that he was held out due to the helmet to helmet hit, and not the knee.

I am a Jones fan, I hope they don't get rid of him. Let Benson rot as far as I'm concerned. Adrian Peterson would make a fine back up.

Well said and agree 100%!

I like Jones too but I wish we had a little more speed and, for the love of God, TJ, stop the damn dancing!

I thought that it was a slap in the face of TJ when Benson was drafted. I like the Bears... but they deserve for Benson to be a bust. TJ runs hard, plays hurt and is a team player.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way Jones plays the game, but I've always wondered why he languished behind Michael Pittman for 2 seasons in Arizona, then another in Tampa Bay after he was let go by the Cardinals. He didn't flourish until he got to Chicago, and remember he was brought in to backup Anthony Thomas, only a season before they drafted Benson.

I don't think it was a slap in the face, but he's obviously flourished in the situation. That doesn't mean that Benson couldn't be a 1300/10 TD kind of guy with Jones out of the picture.

Does Benson have an MRI scheduled for today? I'm assuming that it's a bad sprain, but you never know.

I also thought that TJ would be long-gone next year. But if Benson has a ligament tear, it might be Cedric that gets cut. And that would be poetic justice. Not only is Benson an inferior back to Jones, but his attitude leaves much to be desired.

Does Benson have an MRI scheduled for today? I'm assuming that it's a bad sprain, but you never know.

I also thought that TJ would be long-gone next year. But if Benson has a ligament tear, it might be Cedric that gets cut. And that would be poetic justice. Not only is Benson an inferior back to Jones, but his attitude leaves much to be desired.

MRI scheduled for Tuesday. Found this on MFL:

(Rotoworld) Cedric Benson believes he only suffered a sprained MCL in the Super Bowl. He'll take an MRI Tuesday for confirmation.

Impact: If that's the case, Benson will be ready to work before off-season workouts start. The Bears also believe the injury isn't serious. Thomas Jones would be easier to deal if Benson is 100%, but Chicago may be happy to retain both backs in 2007.

Hard to watch Jones most of the time. He spins sideways and backwards as soon as contact is made. Solid back, Not Great! Benson is STILL a big ???????

I like Jones too but I wish we had a little more speed and, for the love of God, TJ, stop the damn dancing!

This is why I don't like TJ. He is dancing WAY too much. He does not understand when to put his head down and plow for 1 or 2 yards and when to "dance". Also, TJ had very few rushes this year where he gained yards after first contact. It seemed to me the Benson got half his yards after first contact. I feel as long as Benson stays healthy he will definately produce more than TJ. Now if he can just pick up the blitz.

Edited by blips

This is why I don't like TJ. He is dancing WAY too much. He does not understand when to put his head down and plow for 1 or 2 yards and when to "dance". Also, TJ had very few rushes this year where he gained yards after first contact. It seemed to me the Benson got half his yards after first contact. I feel as long as Benson stays healthy he will definately produce more than TJ. Now if he can just pick up the blitz.

Of course, the flip side to that is that TJ is actually capable of evading tackers via lateral movement. Benson has little cutback ability. I'd say that TJ's style is more compatible with the Bears offense, while Benson's might work better in a zone-blocking offense.

Of course, the flip side to that is that TJ is actually capable of evading tackers via lateral movement. Benson has little cutback ability. I'd say that TJ's style is more compatible with the Bears offense, while Benson's might work better in a zone-blocking offense.

I thought the Turners (Ron and Norv) favored power backs as opposed to a cutting slashing back. I don't know where I got that from but it sticks in my mind. :D

Maybe that's because he can't make anybody miss.

But I have seen TJ catch a swing pass or go around end and be one yard short of the first down and have seen him trying to dance around a cornerback only to come up short. It happened three times this year. If TJ cannot plow a cornerback over for 1 yard then I'll take my chances with Benson.

I thought the Turners (Ron and Norv) favored power backs as opposed to a cutting slashing back. I don't know where I got that from but it sticks in my mind. :D

Well, IIRC, Norv has worked with Emmitt, Stephen Davis, Ricky, and LT. Those guys all have/had great power, although LT is more of a slasher. Ron hasn't been so forutnate (Rashaan Salaam, a nearly-done Neal Anderson, and of course TJ and Benson).

I think you can make the argument that TJ fit a lot better into their former OC's offense (forgot his name... the guy from KC). TJ is definitely more of a West Coast back. That said, I don't see a tremendous amount of power or speed in Benson. He was compared to Ricky Williams a lot in college, but outside of their alma mater, I don't see very many similarities. I know that a lot of people here are big on Benson, but I just don't see what the fuss is all about. :D

Don't get me wrong, I like the way Jones plays the game, but I've always wondered why he languished behind Michael Pittman for 2 seasons in Arizona, then another in Tampa Bay after he was let go by the Cardinals. He didn't flourish until he got to Chicago, and remember he was brought in to backup Anthony Thomas, only a season before they drafted Benson.

I don't think it was a slap in the face, but he's obviously flourished in the situation. That doesn't mean that Benson couldn't be a 1300/10 TD kind of guy with Jones out of the picture.

Although true, Pittman never really did anything in AZ either. As a matter of fact, few players have had good rushing seasons in AZ. TJ did end the year very strong in Tampa before he was let go. He's been pretty good once he left AZ and once given the chance to do something. I really like him. Even though he's probably never going to be an 1,500 yd, 12 TD kind of back, he can be very solid.

But I have seen TJ catch a swing pass or go around end and be one yard short of the first down and have seen him trying to dance around a cornerback only to come up short. It happened three times this year. If TJ cannot plow a cornerback over for 1 yard then I'll take my chances with Benson.

Well, your criterion for a running back is kind of narrow then. I also suspect that you are forgetting or omitting the times that Jones did "dance around" the cornerback for extra yardage.

Why does that great Leroy Hoard quote come to mind - ""If you need three yards, I'll get you three. If you need five yards I'll get you three."

Well, your criterion for a running back is kind of narrow then. I also suspect that you are forgetting or omitting the times that Jones did "dance around" the cornerback for extra yardage.

This is not my only requirement for what I think is a good runner. Through the thread I have just stated that I personally like some that knows when to dance and knows when to lower the shoulder. I'm completely spoiled. I grew up watching Walter Payton. That is what I think a running back should be or strive to be.