[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homosexuality: Nature or Choice?

spain

Do you think people have a choice in whether or not they are homosexual? Or is one's sexual orientation pre-determined like your race or eye color? The reason behind my question is that I continue to hear people attempt to distinquish discrimination toward gays from that towards blacks because blacks "didnt choose to be black". That means they assume that gays choose their orientation. Do you believe they have a choice and is it a sin to choose to be homo? Discuss...

edit: I am not apart of that "gay agenda" group that Blitz used to accuse of cramming gay issues down his throat.

Edited by spain

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This should end up as one hell of a thread spain

Its a real tough topic to get a clear answer on ...

My personal view is somewhere along the line it becomes a choice ...then that choice becomes a life style ...but I am no expert on it and I certainly won't judge anyone for it

There is no need to be p.c. on here. This is a message board so I would like to know how you really feel...

:D .....i think i've reached the point where i will no longer go off on this topic......... :D ...but thanks for being there........wish i could be there to rub your sore shoulders..... :bash:

I've always felt that it has to be a natural proclivity. I don't think too many people would intentionally choose a path of life that would subject them to ridicule, abuse, and discrimination. Just look at the amount of homosexuals who try so hard to put up a facade and attempt to lead a straight life by getting married, having kids, etc. If it was a conscious choice to be "different," then why would they try so hard to assimilate into the "normal" path?

I doubt we'll ever know for sure but if I had to guess, I'd say they're born that way.

Imaging studies have shown that they're different in the limbic system from an anatomical perspective.

Plus, like you said spain, no one in their right mind would choose to have to be discriminated against or live their lives underground, etc. One of my coworkers is gay and he has said the same thing and said it applies to all the homos he knows.

That leaves us with the dumb or insane homos. If it's a choice, why do they all like artsy-fartsy stuff like home decoration? I'm exaggerating here but I think that no matter how much incentive I had to take a hugh interest in home decoration, I would never develop any interest or aptitude at it. This is the weakest argument...pretty much not an argument.

They are wired differently from straight guys. Lesbians...I just don't know.

It is absolutely nature. Every ghey friend my wife and I have had over the years, lesbian or homo, has said they knew from very early on (pre-puberty) what was going on with them. Sure, they could make a choice to masquerade as something else, or abstain, but the bottom line it that is the way they were made.

I personally have a theory it is natural selection (which apalls our ghey friends, BTW). In nature, when a population of a species begins to overwhelm thier environment, nature throws stops in, such as starvation, disease, and is some cases, sterility (lower birth rates).

As the human population is beginning to overwhelm the planet, nature may be finding a way to curtail the population, short of a pandemic. I'm not biologist, but it makes sense to me.

Probably a combination of a genetic predisposition plus circumstances that take place during the long process of psycho-sexual maturation. What's interesting to me about this, is that I think most people these days totally believe without a doubt that this is something completely 100% genetic, but there has not ever been any hard concrete scientific evidence to support that belief... that doesn't mean that those people are necessarily wrong... it just shows that on some issues people are willing to take more of a leap of faith than on other issues.

Ok let me throw a curve in here .... Is it wrong ? Meaning do you feel it is inappropriate behavior ? Thid does not mean that you dislike gay"s or will bad mouth , discriminate , etc ....rather do you believe its wrong ?

Not even talking about how the church views it , however it is clearly written in the Bible how its viewed

Probably a combination of a genetic predisposition plus circumstances that take place during the long process of psycho-sexual maturation. What's interesting to me about this, is that I think most people these days totally believe without a doubt that this is something completely 100% genetic, but there has not ever been any hard concrete scientific evidence to support that belief... that doesn't mean that those people are necessarily wrong... it just shows that on some issues people are willing to take more of a leap of faith than on other issues.

Yeah, like I said I don't think we'll ever know. Because sexual behavior is a complex psychological-maybe endocrinologic thing, I would very much doubt that it can be limited to a single gene or even gene cluster (as opposed to cystic fibrosis or Huntington's disease or other diseases that are 100% accepted to be genetic in nature).

Well the member in my family states they were born that way.....but that is very hard for me to comprehend and understand with it being such said individual. Spain knows what I mean. Says they knew since they were 9 years old. Tough topic for me.

IF, IF it's nature, and I'm not saying it is or isn't, that would mean we are the only species on the face of the earth with a predisposition toward same-sex relations. That is where I wonder about the nature argument. Many other species form "family" units but you never see an example of another species that forms same-sex relationships. Why would our nature have been different? I personally don't care if someone wants to be ghey, go ahead live your life however you want, I don't care nor should anyone else, but to "blame" it on nature seems a stretch.

IF, IF it's nature, and I'm not saying it is or isn't, that would mean we are the only species on the face of the earth with a predisposition toward same-sex relations. That is where I wonder about the nature argument. Many other species form "family" units but you never see an example of another species that forms same-sex relationships.

I think this is incorrect.

I think this is incorrect.

where? how? is there another species that performs a "mating ritual" to attract the same sex? I am no scientist, so I fully admit I COULD be wrong, but I don't know of any examples other than humans

where? how? is there another species that performs a "mating ritual" to attract the same sex? I am no scientist, so I fully admit I COULD be wrong, but I don't know of any examples other than humans

Bonobos.