[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Growling Dog

Tally

Anyone who suggests getting rid of the dog based on what happened is clearly taking the easy way out. JMHO.

:D

agreed!

Anyone that leaves a child (no matter how well trained) less than 5 years old alone with a dog (no matter how trained) is equally a moran.

A situation like this requires the parents to actually be parents and supervise the family (including dog). A situation like this is obviously foreseeable and should have been considered prior to having the baby. Getting rid of the dog is the easy way out (and contemptible).

I see the results of it every day.

There are ways to work on it- but it will require an effort. If you work at it- you will be rewarded in the end and not feel the guilt of losing your dog.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:doh:

agreed!

Anyone that leaves a child (no matter how well trained) less than 5 years old alone with a dog (no matter how trained) is equally a moran.

A situation like this requires the parents to actually be parents and supervise the family (including dog). A situation like this is obviously foreseeable and should have been considered prior to having the baby. Getting rid of the dog is the easy way out (and contemptible).

I see the results of it every day.

There are ways to work on it- but it will require an effort. If you work at it- you will be rewarded in the end and not feel the guilt of losing your dog.

Are you saying that they shouldn't have had a baby because they had a dog....I hope not :D

And how is getting rid of the dog contemptible when your concerned for the safety of your child :tup:

I like dogs and animals in general but I want everyone to take a step back and think about this.......

:DTHERE JUST ANIMALS, HUMANS ARE MORE IMPORTANT, ESPECIALLY CHILDREN!!!!!!!

Are you saying that they shouldn't have had a baby because they had a dog....I hope not :D

And how is getting rid of the dog contemptible when your concerned for the safety of your child :tup:

I like dogs and animals in general but I want everyone to take a step back and think about this.......

:DTHERE JUST ANIMALS, HUMANS ARE MORE IMPORTANT, ESPECIALLY CHILDREN!!!!!!!

Of course thats true but I think the point some people are making is that you could be able to make it work where you keep the dog with proper training and of course diligent supervision. I have 2 goldendoodles who Thank God are awesome with my daughters ..My little one still crowds the dog sometimes or gets overly friendly with the dog and tries to hug her to the point where it annoys the dog. We make sure they arent alone with the dog and im always within arms reach..Giving up the dog may be what ends up happening here but options can at least be explored..It looks like Hugh has taken steps to correct the issue and hopefully he will continue to have success..Good luck to you guys its a very tough situation..

Of course thats true but I think the point some people are making is that you could be able to make it work where you keep the dog with proper training and of course diligent supervision. I have 2 goldendoodles who Thank God are awesome with my daughters ..My little one still crowds the dog sometimes or gets overly friendly with the dog and tries to hug her to the point where it annoys the dog. We make sure they arent alone with the dog and im always within arms reach..Giving up the dog may be what ends up happening here but options can at least be explored..It looks like Hugh has taken steps to correct the issue and hopefully he will continue to have success..Good luck to you guys its a very tough situation..

Agreed, I just though Dug's post was a little judgemental and kind of chitty towards people that would make the decision to get rid of a family pet because of their child....so I had to respond.....I'm a little sensitive though :D

Agreed, I just though Dug's post was a little judgemental and kind of chitty towards people that would make the decision to get rid of a family pet because of their child....so I had to respond.....I'm a little sensitive though :D

Try this

As noted in the above linked to thread, my dog "air snapped" at my 2 year old son, so I was faced with a similar situation. We have since worked very hard training the dog as far as what is and is not acceptable. We're also training my son, but there's only so much you can teach a 2 year old. Until my son is a bit older to know EXACTLY what to do around the dog, we have done the following: When the dog and my son are out together, we are ALWAYS around, and have trained the dog unrelentlessly that he is not allowed near my son, his food, or any of his belongings. If we are out of the room, my dog is in his crate, or in another gated off section of the house. He spends a little more time in his crate, but he's certainly not in there all day. The dog has adapted very well, and he knows his boundaries. Obviously this is all done in a controlled environment, so we are there and could intervene if something where to happen, but so far the dog has learned to stay away from my son, and the dog seems fine with it.

Time will tell, but it seems to be working pretty well.

You have done a great job of training and managing the environment. It does take a lot of work and supervision and you can't afford to get distracted and can't afford to make a mistake. This is very difficult for most people to handle. When I tell most clients what is required, they get overwhelmed. I commend you for your efforts and success so far.

Depending on the maturity of the child, I have been able to work with 3 years old, to understand how to behave around a dog who is afraid of them, but I then I have worked with 5 and 6 year olds who don't get it. So, it depends on the child and maturity level.

What you can do also do if you are SURE your child will not walk up the dog, is put him in a tie down in the room with you and your child so they don't have to be in a crate out of the room. This is either a leash you wrao around a leg of the furniture, or if the dog chews through the leash, I make and sell a plasic coated cable that is 5 feet long. A few trainers sell them but you can't find the at a pet store. You can find 10-30 ft ones they are tie downs for outside, but not indoor cables. Dogs enjoy tie-downs since they can be in the room and not closed off in a crate. Put their bed there and they are usually very happy.

I am a reward based trainer. So, the other thing I teach the dog is to associate good things with the child, so they start looking forward to being with the child-called counterconditioning and desenitization. If any of you are human psychologists you know the method. This should be done with a trainer so you do it correctly, but it can be quite effective, but again takes time, and the realization that dogs are unpredictable. My dog guarded a bone from my cat two years ago, grabbed my cat and did a kill shake. My cat is lucky to be alive. I have worked with him and it hasn't happened since, but I now know what he is capable of, and now my cat is closed up in the bedroom when we are gone.

The Dog Whisperer is the best!! I love that show!!! :D:D:tup:

Please read these articles from acclaimed behaviorists. There are plenty more articles like this if you do a search on the internet. Remember, you are only watching edited and successful versions of Cesar's techniques. Based on research by applied animal behaviorists, using positive punishment can make the behavior worse, especially when using it on fear based behavior and phobias.

http://www.stevedalepetworld.com/index.php...d=203&Itemid=71

http://www.urbandawgs.com/luescher_millan.html

:DTHERE JUST ANIMALS, HUMANS ARE MORE IMPORTANT

see- that is the problem right there.

i dont get on my soapbox here often- but those words right there irk me and remind me of what is wrong with our society.

we dont care for thing around us.

we dont honor the commitment we make to those that need us, because someone else will do it instead.

we look at everything around us, living or not, as disposable- BECAUSE HUMANS ARE MORE IMPORTANT.

we were put on this earth to be stewards that care for the rest.

the problem is- most people dont care.

the first thing half the people said in this thread was to get rid of the dog- before even understanding the complete situation. tough situations require hard work. this can be rewarding. but too often people are ready to give up before even starting. that is sad.

Tally- i dont mean to highjack your thread and dont imply anything here towards you personally.... i am just tired of dealing with the results of all the idiots who think they are more important than everything else in the world.

[quote name='dug' date='2/20/07 1:49pm' post='193502

the first thing half the people said in this thread was to get rid of the dog- before even understanding the complete situation.

Nobody said take the dog on a one way ride out in the country. If they know someone that would take their dog and give it a good home what's the big deal? Not speaking for anyone else but some of us don't have the time in our day to give a dog the training it requires. If someone gets a dog and gives it a good home, then has a child that isn't safe around the dog then maybe the dog has to go.

Nobody said take the dog on a one way ride out in the country. If they know someone that would take their dog and give it a good home what's the big deal? Not speaking for anyone else but some of us don't have the time in our day to give a dog the training it requires. If someone gets a dog and gives it a good home, then has a child that isn't safe around the dog then maybe the dog has to go.

Here's where we disagree. I got a dog. I wanted a dog. My dog is part of my family. Several years later, I decided to have children. I had a child. The child is part of my family. Now the child and the dog present a problem, with the dog showing aggression towards the child. Instead of taking the easy road and getting rid of the dog, I have decided to try and make it work.

If your older son punches your younger son in the face, do you give your older son away? :D

Edited by Hugh 0ne

see- that is the problem right there.

i dont get on my soapbox here often- but those words right there irk me and remind me of what is wrong with our society.

we dont care for thing around us.

we dont honor the commitment we make to those that need us, because someone else will do it instead.

we look at everything around us, living or not, as disposable- BECAUSE HUMANS ARE MORE IMPORTANT.

we were put on this earth to be stewards that care for the rest.

the problem is- most people dont care.

the first thing half the people said in this thread was to get rid of the dog- before even understanding the complete situation. tough situations require hard work. this can be rewarding. but too often people are ready to give up before even starting. that is sad.

Tally- i dont mean to highjack your thread and dont imply anything here towards you personally.... i am just tired of dealing with the results of all the idiots who think they are more important than everything else in the world.

Dug with all due respect maybe you should join a PETA board, I am not a person that thinks animals are "things" of no value, I believe they become part of the family and I am well aware that just getting rid of one is not the immediate try nothing else answer.

You chose to quote the very end of my post and take it out of context, I guess that makes your "people are all A-holes because they don't think animals are on the same level" argument better :D

Earlier in my post I said I liked animals and have had dogs growing up that were part of the family. I never implied that giving up on the animal immediately was the only way to rectify the situation. I merely stated what should be the obvious...a family pet is NOT as important as the safety of your child, and if you child is at risk a tough decision needs to be made, and I would not be gettin rid of my child.

I don't know if you have kids but if you don't feel that way it kinda disturbs me.

Now get off the soapbox I don't think anyone here is for "offing" Fido, we're just concerned about the children..........Well except for TimC he hates children because carseats don't fit into Vettes :D

Here's where we disagree. I got a dog. I wanted a dog. My dog is part of my family. Several years later, I decided to have children. I had a child. The child is part of my family. Now the child and the dog present a problem, with the dog showing aggression towards the child. Instead of taking the easy road and getting rid of the dog, I have decided to try and make it work.

If your older son punches your younger son in the face, do you give your older son away? :D

that's cool Whomp. I applaud you for what you've done. All I was saying is that if this happened in my situation (which it has'nt) my wife and I both work long hours and would'nt have the time needed to spend with the dog to train it like was recommended in an earlier post. If we had a friend or family mamber that would give the dog a good home we should'nt be looked down upon because we chose that "easier route".

If your older son punches your younger son in the face, do you give your older son away? :tup:

No you hold him down and let the younger one beat the chit out him stoopid....what kind of parent are you :D