[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Advice

cliaz

Okay so I work 4 ten hour days.

Now work is saying that they only pay for 8 hours of holiday pay so if we are off of work we have to use 2 hours of vacation time in order to get paid for the full day.

Is it me or is that just wrong? I'm seriously asking because i've never heard of this before.

thanks

Now work is saying that they only pay for 8 hours of holiday pay so if we are off of work we have to use 2 hours of vacation time in order to get paid for the full day.

Is it me or is that just wrong? I'm seriously asking because i've never heard of this before.

thanks

No, it is not wrong. If the standard corporate work day is an 8 hour day, it is appropriate to pay an 8 hour holiday. In particular this is true because most labor law is based around the 8 hour work day.

You don't have to use the vacation hours. And you have a schedule that most people would love. So there is a small downside...you still get 3 days off per week.

It's better than working 5 10 hours days like some of us.

thanks

I have heard of this stipulation before with flex time, but usually they let you work a little extra over the week to make up the diff. :D

No, it is not wrong. If the standard corporate work day is an 8 hour day, it is appropriate to pay an 8 hour holiday. In particular this is true because most labor law is based around the 8 hour work day.

You don't have to use the vacation hours. And you have a schedule that most people would love. So there is a small downside...you still get 3 days off per week.

It's better than working 5 10 hours days like some of us.

yahtzee

thanks

Related question. Do you accumulate vacation days by the hour or by the day?

Let's say you had 4 days vacation time. Does that cover your whole 40-hour week? Probably not.

Related question. Do you accumulate vacation days by the hour or by the day?

Let's say you had 4 days vacation time. Does that cover your whole 40-hour week? Probably not.

this works along with my point.

Then again, Cliaz iz talking about needing to use vacation hours, so be probably accumulates hours and not days.

Cliaz, as you know I work for Dept of Treasury and we also have different flex type schedules. If you decide to work 4 10 hours days then you have to use 10 hours of leave to take a work day off and you also only get 8 hours credit for any holiday. We also accure our leave by hours and not by the day, 8 hours per pay after 15 years of service.

Seems like it is a normal practice, as it should be IMHO.

You're really missing the point. The standard workday on which labor laws are built, and therefore on which corporate policy stems from, is 8 hours.

No when i re-read it i get what you are saying.

Cliaz, as you know I work for Dept of Treasury and we also have different flex type schedules. If you decide to work 4 10 hours days then you have to use 10 hours of leave to take a work day off and you also only get 8 hours credit for any holiday. We also accure our leave by hours and not by the day, 8 hours per pay after 15 years of service.

Seems like it is a normal practice, as it should be IMHO.

Gotcha. this is why I checked here first before asking HR. I find it a tad bit unfair that we are getting docked our vacation time since we are not hourly employees. BUT they get an extra 2 hours of work per week out of the 5x8 on a holiday work week then we would (30).

alright, it's all good in da hood then.

thanks

thanks

That is what my employer does ... although your employer is my employer's parent company

No when i re-read it i get what you are saying.

Gotcha. this is why I checked here first before asking HR. I find it a tad bit unfair that we are getting docked our vacation time since we are not hourly employees. BUT they get an extra 2 hours of work per week out of the 5x8 on a holiday work week then we would (30).

alright, it's all good in da hood then.

thanks

But you do lose 2 - 15 min paid breaks per week as it is ... my feeling is that they should just eat the 2 hrs but that isnt how it works ... lol

So if the standard employee gets 10 holidays per year @ 8 hours per that is 80 hours of holiday pay.

You are saying yoiur company should pony up 100 hours for you because you work a non-standard 10 hour day?

If the holiday falls on a Friday, your normal day off do you still expect to recieve holiday pay?

So if the standard employee gets 10 holidays per year @ 8 hours per that is 80 hours of holiday pay.

You are saying yoiur company should pony up 100 hours for you because you work a non-standard 10 hour day?

If the holiday falls on a Friday, your normal day off do you still expect to recieve holiday pay?

In the Gov if you work (4) 10 hour days and a holiday falls on your off day you get your next work day off, 8 hours of it anyway.

In the Gov if you work (4) 10 hour days and a holiday falls on your off day you get your next work day off, 8 hours of it anyway.

So then he is asking his company to pony up 20 extra hours of holiday pay because he works an unconventional 10 hour day? No company in the world is going to do that.

I guess you didn't read the whole thread before you posted this.

So then he is asking his company to pony up 20 extra hours of holiday pay because he works an unconventional 10 hour day? No company in the world is going to do that.

But I have to lose 20 hours of vacation time OR lost 20 hours of pay through the year. Doesn't seem fair.

Edited by cliaz

I guess you didn't read the whole thread before you posted this.

But I have to lose 20 hours of vacation time OR lost 20 hours of pay through the year. Doesn't seem fair.

How exactly is it fair for you to get 20 hours MORE holiday pay than your co-worker that works 8x5?

I'd say that your employer is gracious enough to let you work 4 ten hour days so that you can have 3 day weekends. This is something they do NOT have to do.

Your thinking is incorrect.

Think about it this way, assuming you get 2 weeks vacation pay:

You get 80 hours vacation pay

You get 80 hours holiday pay

Or you get 160 hours of PTO (paid time off).

Your co-worker that works 5 8 hour days gets the same 160 hours of PTO.

When your 8x5 co-worker takes a day off he had 8 hours docked from his PTO.

When you take a day off you have 10 hours docked from your PTO.

Of course there is nothing that prevents you from working an extra 2 hours (the same 2 hours your 8x5 co-worker is working).

I fail to see why you believe you are due an extra 2 hours holiday pay over your 8x5 co-workers ... for a total of 20 hours extra per year. I expect if you approached your employer with this preposterous idea they would recommend that you work 8x5 so that you could feel more comfortable with the 8 hour holiday policy.

How exactly is it fair for you to get 20 hours MORE holiday pay than your co-worker that works 8x5?

I'd say that your employer is gracious enough to let you work 4 ten hour days so that you can have 3 day weekends. This is something they do NOT have to do.

Your thinking is incorrect.

Think about it this way, assuming you get 2 weeks vacation pay:

You get 80 hours vacation pay

You get 80 hours holiday pay

Or you get 160 hours of PTO (paid time off).

Your co-worker that works 5 8 hour days gets the same 160 hours of PTO.

When your 8x5 co-worker takes a day off he had 8 hours docked from his PTO.

When you take a day off you have 10 hours docked from your PTO.

Of course there is nothing that prevents you from working an extra 2 hours (the same 2 hours your 8x5 co-worker is working).

I fail to see why you believe you are due an extra 2 hours holiday pay over your 8x5 co-workers ... for a total of 20 hours extra per year. I expect if you approached your employer with this preposterous idea they would recommend that you work 8x5 so that you could feel more comfortable with the 8 hour holiday policy.

Grits I understand as I stated above like half way through the post. I’m not complaining I needed to ask people who work in a corp environment because we’ve always been hourly with OT and only been in this pay system for around 2 years now so this stuff it kind of new to us.

I know everything you stated above but if a holiday falls on a day where we should work why should we have to give up 2 hours of our vacation time to get the same pay amount as someone who works 8 hour days.

If we have to use 10 hours of PTO if we call in to work or for vacation for a day we are out then we should get paid 10 hours for holiday pay because that is our normal day.

But I understand the company logic to it and I’m not raising a stink about it. I just want clarification that’s all.