[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DirecTV rasing prices

loaf

Wow... :D

Thanks Directv! :D

I think the problem is that there aren't many better options at this point. I don't know much about The Dish, and refuse to go back to Comcast, which I've only had horrible experiences with. But it's not like I can say many better things about Directv either.

I think the problem is that there aren't many better options at this point. I don't know much about The Dish, and refuse to go back to Comcast, which I've only had horrible experiences with. But it's not like I can say many better things about Directv either.

Yeah, cable sucks, and now DirecTV does too.

Time to take up whittlin'.

Wow... :D

Thanks Directv! :D

Comcast just jacked my price by about 8% and in the six months since they took over from Time Warner in my area, service has definitely degraded. That said, I wouldn't touch DirecTV with a very long stick.

Things could get interesting in TV Land over the next two years or so.

D-TV has been talking about increased bandwidth for HD broadcasts for quite a while now, but two satellites are supposed to launch this year, although there was apparently some launch explosion last month that may set back their plans. I would assume the increase and the elimation of the HD tier are related to the satellite launch.

Time Warner has sued D-TV a few times over their advertsing, but the latest involves their claims of the capacity for up to 150 HD channels or three times the channels available on cable. Of course, as anyone who has HD knows, there is nothing close to 150 HD channels in existence, and D-TV's claim of "three times more than cable" apparently includes counting each HD channel in each time zone. You can actually check the last one yourself -- if you go to D-TV website, you'll see that they brag about "900 hours of HD programming each week". The only way you can get this number (approximately 37 channels) is if you include each channel, including PPV, in each time zone.

D-TV has worked out an exclusive deal with MLB Extra Innings. Meaning, D-TV will soon have a monopoly on Sunday Ticket and MLB outside the home markets.

And the most interesting thing is the XM/Sirius radio merger. If it goes through, many people think D-TV and Dish will attempt to do the same thing before 2008 (when monopoly-friendly republicans may lose the white house and thus control of the FCC). D and Dish have tried the merger thing before and were shot down pretty much immediately, so its reasonable to expect they will watch this merger very, very closesly.

As a subset to the merger possibilities, an interesting thing that could come out of that is a la carte programming, as some people are predicting that the FCC will allow the radio merger on the condition that consumers are allowed to buy some programming instead of all of it. If that happened, the same condition would likely apply to a satellite TV merger. But before you get too excited, do remember that most cable and sat subscribers do not watch, say ESPN -- one of the reasons ESPN (and other channels) insist on being carried by basic tiers is because they are paid by subscirber, and obviously the basic tier has all the subscirbers. Meaning that if ESPN were sold a la carte only to the people who watched it, paying $20-$30 per month just to get ESPN is not an unreasable expectation.

In other words, the price increase is probably pretty small compared to what you may see in a couple of years.

Someone (like yo mama) can probably expound on these points much more intelligently. I'm just an amateur who finds the idea that we may soon pay like $500 a month to watch sports on TV kinda interesting.

yeah, give'em a call. they are "restructuring" their packages. They are not dropping HD for new subscribers. Actually, he said they were adding about 100 HD channels (probably going back to what misfit said though)...

They no longer offer new TiVo service just DVR.

The DVR is painfully slow. Thankfully I have it on my office TV...I couldn't imagine having DVR as my main TV. Just to pull up a menu takes like 5-10 seconds longer.

I wish I could get Comcast out here in the sticks like I had before I moved. :D

• 1 month later...