[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bly traded to Broncos for T. Bell, Foster

The Wolf

Unbelievable to say it, but I like this deal from the Lions standpoint.

From a player-value standpoint:

Bly: :D:tup:

More looks as teams avoid Bailey.

Bell: either :D:tup::tup: or :doh:

Basically, his value increases because if he were to stay in Denver, his value remains negligible. In Detroit, at least there's the potential that he's the #1 back in a Martz-run offense.

Edited by godtomsatan

2008 more people will be using Denver for John Madden 08. Sad part is you would almost have to be stone crazy or an idiot to throw the ball now. Champ and Bly oh my. I think they had the highest rated catching in the game both of them around 80.

FYI - there's not going to be a "Madden" '08

on espn.com, jeremy green is saying the lions got the best of it:

For potentially the first time since taking over as general manager of the Detroit Lions, Matt Millen will be getting the last laugh this week. Millen's tenure has been filled with bad draft choices and poor decisions, but when he was able to trade cornerback Dré Bly to the Denver Broncos, he pulled off one of the biggest moves in his time as GM.

The Lions agreed Thursday to trade Bly for offensive tackle George Foster, RB Tatum Bell and a fifth-round draft choice in this year's draft. In making the deal, the Lions gave themselves a lot more options this offseason. Foster has started 45 games over the past three seasons. Bell rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season while splitting time with undrafted free agent Mike Bell and has averaged 4.9 yards per carry over his career. He has the big-time speed that can be a huge asset on the turf at Ford Field.

The Lions accomplished two things with this move. First, they added some insurance should starting RB Kevin Jones not return to 100 percent after offseason foot surgery. Should Jones come back healthy, Bell still gives them a different look with his speed and would be an excellent change-of-pace back.

Second, the acquisition of Foster gives them more flexibility on draft day. It has been widely assumed the Lions will take Wisconsin offensive tackle Joe Thomas with the second overall selection in the draft. In doing so, the thinking is, the team would move veteran Jeff Backus, who signed a lucrative extension last season, to the right tackle spot and install Thomas at left tackle. The Lions still might take Thomas, but tackle is no longer a need position. Adding Foster means the Lions can take the best available player at No. 2, which might be Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson.

Mike Martz is one of the best offensive coordinators in the NFL, and it's scary to think what he could cook up with receivers Roy Williams and the rookie Johnson and a healthy Jones and Bell coming out of the backfield. QB Jon Kitna would have plenty of time to get the ball to his playmakers with his blindside being protected by Backus and his front-side by Foster.

The fact Detroit got the better of this deal does not mean Denver did not get a good football player. Bly is a good football player, but he is not a "great" one.

With the tragic loss of starting corner Darrent Williams this offseason, Denver clearly had a void to fill. The question however is at what cost? Sure, Bly has been to two Pro Bowls in his career and won a Super Bowl with the Rams, but he is still undersized, not very physical and has questionable durability. He gives up a lot of big plays and will clearly be the man under attack playing opposite of the league's best corners in Champ Bailey.

Both teams filled holes with this move. However, Detroit got the best of it. The Lions were able to get two starters and a draft pick for a player they had no intention of keeping. It has not been said often, but Millen is 1-0 to start the 2007 offseason.

i have to disagree. foster is pretty much a stiff. ultimately got beat out by an undrafted rookie during the 2006 season. bell helps them if KJ isn't healthy. probably a good trade for detroit. but ultimately, in judging the broncos end of it....they got rid of two players with decent-sized salaries who they determined were expendable. in return they make a significant upgrade at a position of need. i see it as a homerun for the broncos.

i have to disagree. foster is pretty much a stiff. ultimately got beat out by an undrafted rookie during the 2006 season. bell helps them if KJ isn't healthy. probably a good trade for detroit. but ultimately, in judging the broncos end of it....they got rid of two players with decent-sized salaries who they determined were expendable. in return they make a significant upgrade at a position of need. i see it as a homerun for the broncos.

I will agree that it isn't a slam dunk for Detroit by any means, and it certainly doesn't cripple the Broncos. However, Bly is a moderate CB talent on the downside of his career at this point. His entire pro career has been on dome teams, and '06 was his first full season since '02. I'm not seeing the home run angle on this one....:D

Champ and Bly oh my. I think they had the highest rated catching in the game both of them around 80.

I am unfamiliar with the "highest rated catching in the game" stat. :D

I am unfamiliar with the "highest rated catching in the game" stat. :D

Do they have a "futilely flailing at a wide receiver as he runs by to score a long touchdown" stat?

Do they have a "futilely flailing at a wide receiver as he runs by to score a long touchdown" stat?

I recall Norman Chad once saying "the highest possible rating in the NFL passer system is 159.6, the lowest is Jon Kitna."