[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

300 Movie Review

DMD

Just returned from seeing the first showing of 300. I brought my now 14-year old son to his first ever "R" rated movie. Sidenote to those with kids - there was no language and there was a suggested rape scene (my son did not really catch where it was going) and two scene with nubile young ladies topless. Nothing else except tons of gore.

This is definitely a guys movie though there were a few things for the women (the Spartan queen had a decent role.

It was... different. Certainly in the vein of Gladiator and Braveheart (two of my all-time favorites), but with less story and more action. It actually goes beyond any of the battle scenes from those two mentioned movies in what a sword does to a human body. The way they do spattering blood is different and I am sure CGI. And whoever did that for the movie must have been rather busy.

There were several good one-liners ("Bow to me and you can spread your culture all over the world" - "We've already shown your men our culture")

I would give the movie an "A" but I like the whole military/action genre anyway. It was very action packed, very leaning towards the visual over all other elements of a flim. I cannot really describe how it was different, it just was. I was already knowledgeable about the battle of Thermopylae and the film was of course not entirely accurate but stayed well within the bounds of what happened.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. My son LOVED it. Not sure I would bring anyone younger though - the couple of boob shots were no big deal but hacking off heads it VERY graphic.

All thumbs up from this household. About the most "testosterone" movie I have ever seen.

Persian Officer: SPARTANS! Lay down your weapons!

Spartan King Leonidas: Persians...COME AND GET THEM!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned from seeing the first showing of 300. I brought my now 14-year old son to his first ever "R" rated movie. Sidenote to those with kids - there was no language and there was a suggested rape scene (my son did not really catch where it was going) and two scene with nubile young ladies topless. Nothing else except tons of gore.

This is definitely a guys movie though there were a few things for the women (the Spartan queen had a decent role.

It was... different. Certainly in the vein of Gladiator and Braveheart (two of my all-time favorites), but with less story and more action. It actually goes beyond any of the battle scenes from those two mentioned movies in what a sword does to a human body. The way they do spattering blood is different and I am sure CGI. And whoever did that for the movie must have been rather busy.

There were several good one-liners ("Bow to me and you can spread your culture all over the world" - "We've already shown your men our culture")

I would give the movie an "A" but I like the whole military/action genre anyway. It was very action packed, very leaning towards the visual over all other elements of a flim. I cannot really describe how it was different, it just was. I was already knowledgeable about the battle of Thermopylae and the film was of course not entirely accurate but stayed well within the bounds of what happened.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. My son LOVED it. Not sure I would bring anyone younger though - the couple of boob shots were no big deal but hacking off heads it VERY graphic.

All thumbs up from this household. About the most "testosterone" movie I have ever seen.

Its definitely on my list of movies to see ASAP. Ill either go this weekend or next week... Glad you gave it a good review. I was afraid it might have sucked.

How was the line as told in history...

Persians: "Our arrows shall blot out the sun."

Leonidas of Sparta: "Then we will fight in the shade."

Or something like that. I hope that was memorable.

Spartans were badasses. :D

Oh, it was in there and the second time it was mentioned was pretty funny.

Thanks for the review DMD. I'm going to wait on this one though. There is something about it that nags me and it maybe the way it's done (sin city style if you know what I mean).

I like more natural feel to my historical movies as the special effects in this movie kind of turn me off.

Kingdom of Heaven, Braveheart, Troy and Gladiator are along the lines of how I like 'em.

I still wanna see it, it's just not high on my list.

Thanks for the review DMD. I'm going to wait on this one though. There is something about it that nags me and it maybe the way it's done (sin city style if you know what I mean).

Me too. And I hated Sin City.

Always loved the Greeks in history class, so had hopes for this one until I saw trailers and now I'm just :D.

I just saw a movie that'll give your eyes boners, make your balls scream

and make you poop DVD copies of THE TRANSPORTER. It's called 300. I don't

know what the title has to do with the movie, but they could've called it

KITTENS MAKING CANDLES and it'd still rule.

It's about these 300 Greek dudes who stomp the sugar-coated crap out of like

a million other dudes. I have a feeling that a lot of high school sports

coaches are going to show this film to their teams before they play. Also,

gay dudes and divorced women are going to use screen captures for computer

wallpaper.

The movie takes place about a million years ago, and it's sort of like a

prequel to SIN CITY . Except way less guns and cars but twice as much skull

splitting. If you watch this movie and go into a Taco Bell, and say to the

cashier, "I need some extra sauce packets" guess what? You're getting twenty

sauce packets because your face will punch him in the brain.

I can't spoil the plot because THANK GOD THERE ISN'T ONE. Just ass kicking

that kicks ass that, while said ass is getting kicked, is kicking yet more

ass that's hitting someone's balls with a hammer made of ice but the ice is

frozen whiskey.

TWO COOL THINGS ABOUT THE MOVIE AND ONE THING I DIDN'T LIKE:

COOL THING ONE:

HEAVY METAL DURING BATTLE SCENES

Who gives a crap if the music isn't historically correct? LORD OF THE RINGS

could've used some Journey. This movie has that chu-CHUNG kind of metal that

you hear in your head when your shift supervisor at Wetzel's Pretzel is

telling you that you'll have to stay for clean up and you wish you had a

sock filled with quarters in your hand.

COOL THING TWO:

FOES, MINI-BOSSES AND A BIG BOSS

Basically, the Greek dudes are fighting these Persian dudes, but the

director, who must have a dick made of three machine guns, does it all like

a video game. The Greeks fight every death metal video from the last ten

years. There's wave after wave of giants, freaks, ninjas, mutants, wizards,

and a hunchback who looks like he's got Rosie O'Donnell on his back.

Would I have been happy if Dom DeLuise from HISTORY OF THE WORLD, PART I had

shown up? Maybe, but this movie more than makes up for that glaring

oversight.

NOT SO GOOD THING:

DUDE NUDITY ("DUDE-ITY")

These are Greek times, when there were a lot of naked women around. And

there are some naked women in this film, but almost every naked woman scene

has a muscular dude giving the screen an ass picnic. Dude-ity is something

directors put in their movies so people will think they're serious, I guess,

and not just throwing in naked hotties.

Any directors reading this - IT'S OKAY TO JUST THROW IN NAKED HOTTIES.

Can't someone make a movie about naked Amazons and call it PAUSE BUTTON?

My final analysis is 300 the most ass-ruling movie I've seen this year, and

will probably be the King of 2007 unless someone makes a movie where a pair

of sentient boobs fights a werewolf.

My son-in-law and I will definitely catch this movie. My wife would rather roll around on broken glass than go with me to this "guy" flick.

I think it was actually Dienikes (or some crap) that said that but it is definitely cool they kept it in the story.

Read the Gates of Fire. It is a book about the Battle of Thermypolae...pretty good stuff!

I told my chick I am going to see it tonight with or without her.

Is there some kind of cartoon element in 300?

Not at all.

And I never saw "Sin City" so I cannot compare it to that. But there was no cartoon element to this, in fact they went rather overboard on the realism in ways. The way they shot it was different at times - lots of close shots for example - but it was not detracting to me. The film style was a bit different but not all that different.

good flick from what I've heard. was mostly filmed in fromt of blue screens and with the help of a lot of CGI they came up with a good looking movie. Will see it for sure, but not soon enough as it was my choice last time and we went and saw "Smokin' Aces" which I would also highly reccomend seeing if you like guy flicks with high body counts, nice boobies and high "bullets per minute" factor

Trailers make it look a little surreal but I guess 1,000 men vs 80,000-100,000, depending on common sense and who you believe, would have a fantastic feel to it.

By historical accounts, there were, of course, 300 Spartans and 700 Thespian volunteers who left before it was over. The estimates of how many Persians there were vary between 200,000 and well over a million but it didn't matter when they all had to go through the same narrow pass.