[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Small Business Funding

Savage Beatings

So if I come up with a sure-fire hit of an idea for a small business, put together a killer business plan, etc., as an individual, is my only funding option pretty much to put my house up as collateral for a small business loan?

Any other creative ways to come up with enough capital to start things off without risking a home?

So if I come up with a sure-fire hit of an idea for a small business, put together a killer business plan, etc., as an individual, is my only funding option pretty much to put my house up as collateral for a small business loan?

Any other creative ways to come up with enough capital to start things off without risking a home?

Shoot a PM to keg and solicit his opinions since he has some recent experience with small business capital raising issues, including SBA.

what's your business idea--if it is any good we can fund you

and if it is stupid, we can mock you

either way, it's good for all of us

I'd rather not say... not for fear of being ridiculed... that will happen anyway... but I don't want to allow anyone to get the jump on me (at least not here in the Twin Cities). Besides 'm not trying to solicit investors here, I'm just kind of thinking out loud more than anything else. Well, not really out loud (since I am writing my thoughts instead of speaking them) but you get the gist.

My bank put it to me this way.

"If your not willing to risk something then we sure in the hell aren't."

Made sense to me. :D

I kind of figured that was the reality of it... but just thought I'd see if anyone else found another way. Since there's pretty much no way that I will ever convince my wife to risk our house, I guess I will have to start knocking on some doors and seek out investors. Or maybe I'll just scrap the whole thing. :D

One of the local radio stations has a show called "StartupNation". I've linked to the area of the stations website that has "10 Practical Steps" to starting your own business. One of the topics is funding. It may be helpful. I listen to the show from time to time and it is pretty interesting.

Link

The guys who own startup nation (the Sloan brothers), came to one of my MBA classes to talk. Very smart and energetic people. They put us through an exercise that pretty much gives you 60 seconds to sell your idea to investors. The idea being that you have an investors attention during an elevator ride which may average 60 seconds. Forces you to be concise in your presentation.