[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Flying first class

Skilly

i flew first class a few times for work several years ago when they were last minute tickets and first class was all that was left. it's nice and all, but it's certainly not any way i'd spend my OWN money. free booze i guess would be the best part, and no fat dude oozing over the armrest (or fat chick oozing under) into your seat.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I flew first class was last October coming back from Orlando. I was to connect in Detroit going to Fort Wayne. Orlando's airport was packed and it looked like our flight was going to be VERY full. Shortly before they boarded, I heard an announcement "Passenger cdru please come to the desk". Great I think, I've been bumped because the airline overbooked the flight (how does that happen anyways?). I find out that I was bumped to the very front row of first class. Lots of leg room. Woohoo.

The flight back was a lot more comfortable then the flight down there. I had the middle seat going down and I'm a big guy. The seat next to mine was also someone who was bumped. Initially a guy sat down and we started chatting. He bragged on an on about how he usually flies first class blah blah blah. Then a kid about 21 or 22 comes over and has a puzzled look on his face. It ends up Mr. Bragger was in the wrong seat and was suppose to be back in coach. We had a chicken teriyaki that was decent but the free beverages, service, and leg room made the trip quite enjoyable.

I used up any Karma though as our flight was about 1/2 hour late due to weather. My late connecting flight ended up taking off about 5 minutes before we landed and it was the last flight of the day. Great. No luggage and I'm stuck in Detroit. At least the airline would put us up. Nope. Fast forward to the next day and all flights home are canceled because of high winds. So it looks like I was stuck in Detroit for another day. I didn't want to hang around so I found a group of a few other people that were renting a SUV to just drive it home. C'est la vie.

I always fly first class. Thats because I always fly Southwest... :D

Southwest is awesome. :doh: One of the few major U.S. airlines that are actually making a profit. Although it has little to do with regards to their seating structure, I have yet to fly Southwest unhappy.. except for the time I got the flu from some sick piece o' sh!t on the plane. :tup:

If flying overseas, however, first-class is the way to go! :D

I frequently fly on business also (8-10 days per month) and sit in 1st class for about 30% of my flights. I notice the same thing with the looks when coach flying passengers stroll past me when I'm fortunate enough to sit in 1st class. I can't help but repeat the look when I'm unfortunately one of those coach fare payers! :D

Last week I took a last second trip to the Windy city and the only seats available were middle seats. To my right was a 30ish looking man that must have weighed at least 325 and wasn't into the whole hygiene :D thing and to my left was a frail 70+ lady sitting by the window. At 6 foot 3 and 245 it wasn't one of my favorite flights! :tup:

Edited by theprofessor

I was bouncing back and forth between Salt Lake and Boston every week a few years ago and my travel folks worked out a wierd deal - I'd fly to Boston on Delta coach and fly back to SLC via Northwest first class. :D Strange deal, but I sure enjoyed the upgrade for several weeks. I'm not sure what Ursa is griping about with regard to NW, but I enjoyed it. Of course, there's considerably less to biyatch about when you're seated up front. :D

I always try to bump up at the gate when flying somewhere for vacation. Usually not all that bad if available and believe me I get my $$ in drinks. Last time going from Seattle to Vegas I bumped for $80, asked for a six pack as soon as I sat down. Attendant: six pack? Hugh: yes, three beers and three shots of tequlia. Don't remember parts of that trip, then again that is probably a good thing :D

Pray that I'm able to do the last minute gate bump tomorrow morning. Off to Orlando and I'd really love the bump-up so I can sleep better. :D

I've never understood the hurry to get on an airplane and sit.

So you don't have to worry about finding some place in the overhead compartment when a bunch of tools put their little bags and coats up there? :D

I must say, I fly quite frequently for work and a fair amount personally so I'm a member of an elite program. I fly in first class due to free upgrades more often than not. Works out great so I can stretch out my 6'5 frame and all...

I've only flown 1st class on a commercial jet once when my wife and I got bumped up going to Costa Rica on our "honeymoon" (always play the honeymoon card every time you and your lady fly somewhere like the Islands, etc.). It was nice. This year, we have enough miles on our Amex to fly business class to Spain.

That said, the thing that spoiled me was flying with my clients to Kauai on a Gulf Stream 4. Now that is going in style. First off, you drive right up to the plane (even post 9-11). If you are flying out at 10am and you live an hour away from the airport, you leave the house at 9. If you're late, so what. Then the plane itself is like a flying living room with top shelf drinks and a sweet buffet. There's a little library of movies and obviously everyone doesn't need to watch the same thing.

Then, when you land, your rental car is waiting on the tarmak. The dudes just put your luggage in the trunk and you are on your way.

Doing that a few times and then going back to dealing with the airports was a major drag.

I unfortunately fly in first class all the time. I say unfortunately, because to qualify with platinum status (as I am) on most airlines, you have to fly approx 75k miles per year, and that is a lot of freaking flying!!! Once you have "status", the airlines upgrade you on unsold first class seats automatically, and depending on your status. Platinum first, then Gold, then Silver.

I would much rather not qualify and sit in the back. However, since I do have to fly that much for work, the only good thing about first class is the extra room to crash or get work done without the seat in front of you crashing down on your computer........... The free alcohol doesn't hurt either after a bad sales call!!!

I've been a platinum elite on Northwest for the last 6 years averaging 80k - 100k accrued miles per year, and fly all over the US, to Canada, Europe, and China. First class on domestic flights is alright, but if you really want a nice seat, it's best to go business class to Asia or Europe. Accomidations are much better, and the seats are much more comfortable, albeit more $$$. I'm actually close to being a 1 Million mile flier for lifetime miles.......

My new years resolution this year was to NOT make Platinum, or Gold status. But, so far this year, I've already logged 30k airline miles and it's only mid April. If I keep this pace up, I'll put up over 100k this year. :doh:

I'd much rather be at home with my 1 year old daughter than sitting in first!!! :D:D

By the way, I have a 8am flight up to Edmonton, Alberta -- another 5k round trip, and I am in first with my automatic upgrade. :tup:

I'm not sure what Ursa is griping about with regard to NW, but I enjoyed it. :D

Anyone who lives in a Northwest hub (Minneapolis, Detroit, Memphis) will know what I mean. I guess other airlines have their down side but NWA is horrible.

So you don't have to worry about finding some place in the overhead compartment when a bunch of tools put their little bags and coats up there? :D

I must say, I fly quite frequently for work and a fair amount personally so I'm a member of an elite program. I fly in first class due to free upgrades more often than not. Works out great so I can stretch out my 6'5 frame and all...

I figured they'd mistake you for the carry-on. :D

I've only flown 1st class on a commercial jet once when my wife and I got bumped up going to Costa Rica on our "honeymoon" (always play the honeymoon card every time you and your lady fly somewhere like the Islands, etc.). It was nice. This year, we have enough miles on our Amex to fly business class to Spain.

That said, the thing that spoiled me was flying with my clients to Kauai on a Gulf Stream 4. Now that is going in style. First off, you drive right up to the plane (even post 9-11). If you are flying out at 10am and you live an hour away from the airport, you leave the house at 9. If you're late, so what. Then the plane itself is like a flying living room with top shelf drinks and a sweet buffet. There's a little library of movies and obviously everyone doesn't need to watch the same thing.

Then, when you land, your rental car is waiting on the tarmak. The dudes just put your luggage in the trunk and you are on your way.

Doing that a few times and then going back to dealing with the airports was a major drag.

P-I-M-P

Edited by twiley

Got upgraded to First Class on a flight out to England. Flew Coach on the way back home. Holy Hannah what a difference! For no other reason than for the leg room alone, First Class might just be worth the outrageous price (at least for long flights overseas).

Anyone who lives in a Northwest hub (Minneapolis, Detroit, Memphis) will know what I mean. I guess other airlines have their down side but NWA is horrible.

NWA has their irritations, but I've been mostly satisfied with them. US Air is the worst. I've had to fly them three or four times and have had major hassles each time.

I could care less about flying coach... unless someone's flesh is literally overflowing six inches into my personal space for 3 hours. That's when $1000+ for a first class ticket starts to sound like the best deal ever.

Edited by yo mama

I unfortunately fly in first class all the time. I say unfortunately, because to qualify with platinum status (as I am) on most airlines, you have to fly approx 75k miles per year, and that is a lot of freaking flying!!! Once you have "status", the airlines upgrade you on unsold first class seats automatically, and depending on your status. Platinum first, then Gold, then Silver.

I would much rather not qualify and sit in the back. However, since I do have to fly that much for work, the only good thing about first class is the extra room to crash or get work done without the seat in front of you crashing down on your computer........... The free alcohol doesn't hurt either after a bad sales call!!!

I've been a platinum elite on Northwest for the last 6 years averaging 80k - 100k accrued miles per year, and fly all over the US, to Canada, Europe, and China. First class on domestic flights is alright, but if you really want a nice seat, it's best to go business class to Asia or Europe. Accomidations are much better, and the seats are much more comfortable, albeit more $$$. I'm actually close to being a 1 Million mile flier for lifetime miles.......

My new years resolution this year was to NOT make Platinum, or Gold status. But, so far this year, I've already logged 30k airline miles and it's only mid April. If I keep this pace up, I'll put up over 100k this year. :doh:

I'd much rather be at home with my 1 year old daughter than sitting in first!!! :D:D

By the way, I have a 8am flight up to Edmonton, Alberta -- another 5k round trip, and I am in first with my automatic upgrade. :tup:

that is alot of flying...most i ever flew was just over of 30,000 miles in a 5 week period(all within the continental US) there were days when I was on a flight 5 days in a row and that did sucketh....for those of you that are going to be flying coach here are a few tips to help you get a good seat...

1. Ask for Bulkhead(plenty of leg room)

2. Ask for exit row seating(more leg room then reg. rows and if needed you can be a hero)

3. Ask for an aisle seat(if you have long legs it will give you a bit more room)

that is alot of flying...most i ever flew was just over of 30,000 miles in a 5 week period(all within the continental US) there were days when I was on a flight 5 days in a row and that did sucketh....for those of you that are going to be flying coach here are a few tips to help you get a good seat...

1. Ask for Bulkhead(plenty of leg room)

2. Ask for exit row seating(more leg room then reg. rows and if needed you can be a hero)

3. Ask for an aisle seat(if you have long legs it will give you a bit more room)

30k miles in 5 weeks (all domestic)!!!! Holy _______ :D That's just sick!!!!

When you get to be on a first name basis with the girls at checkin, as well as a solid understanding of the flight attendents route schedules, you know you're flying too much.

But 30k miles in 5 weeks. Wow!! We need an emoticon with his jaw dropping!!! :D

As far as your advice goes, that is spot on!! Another piece of advice is to always always check in on line 24 hours in advance of the flight. When you do, go into the seating assignment section on the website and pick your seats. You have the best options at that point if you didn't get the chance to pick them prior to booking. Keggerz is right about the locations as to where to pick your seat........:tup:

30k miles in 5 weeks (all domestic)!!!! Holy _______ :D That's just sick!!!!

When you get to be on a first name basis with the girls at checkin, as well as a solid understanding of the flight attendents route schedules, you know you're flying too much.

But 30k miles in 5 weeks. Wow!! We need an emoticon with his jaw dropping!!! :D

As far as your advice goes, that is spot on!! Another piece of advice is to always always check in on line 24 hours in advance of the flight. When you do, go into the seating assignment section on the website and pick your seats. You have the best options at that point if you didn't get the chance to pick them prior to booking. Keggerz is right about the locations as to where to pick your seat........:doh:

i havent traveled since 9-11(except the honeymoon but i ckd my bags for that)...but I NEVER EVER would check my bag(note it was business so it was a very nice rolling garment bag) I would always ck it at the gate and leave it at the door at boarding...that did 2 things...I pretty much knew my bag wouldnt get lost and 2 if a flight was canceled I could then very easily try and get a flight on a different airline if I needed too(since I had my bags with me)...just try getting your bag(s) off of a canceled flight so you can get on another airline...but I am not sure if you can check a bag at the gate anymore after 9-11

oh and BD that doesnt include driving from El Paso to Sante Fe NM (for one day) and back to El Paso and on a flight to Phoenix :tup:

Edited by keggerz

i havent traveled since 9-11(except the honeymoon but i ckd my bags for that)...but I NEVER EVER would check my bag(note it was business so it was a very nice rolling garment bag) I would always ck it at the gate and leave it at the door at boarding...that did 2 things...I pretty much knew my bag wouldnt get lost and 2 if a flight was canceled I could then very easily try and get a flight on a different airline if I needed too(since I had my bags with me)...just try getting your bag(s) off of a canceled flight so you can get on another airline...but I am not sure if you can check a bag at the gate anymore after 9-11

oh and BD that doesnt include driving from El Paso to Sante Fe NM (for one day) and back to El Paso and on a flight to Phoenix :tup:

I understand the part about carrying on a bag. I will try and carry on at all costs. I've even been known to FedEx a box of clothes to myself at the hotel so I didn't have to check a bag. Of course I had samples with me, so the company had to pick up the cost.......:D

I've never tried checking a large piece of luggage at the gate, so that's a new one to me.......I was pulling into the parking lot of the airport on 9-11. Scared the _____ out of me, as it did everyone else.

That is a ton of driving after a flight for a one day trip!!! :doh: Although I routinely fly into Seattle, and drive up to Vancouver and then back a couple days later for my flight home. Northwest stopped flying into Vancouver for some reason, and I'm a mileage whore, so I go into Seattle instead!!! :D:D

I see a lot of negative thoughts on checking your bag. I for one hate carrying my bag on the plane. I already have a pretty big carry-on (laptop case), so the last thing I want is my roller bag. I'm not sure it would even fit in the overhead bins. And if it somehow doesn't fit (different bins allow different sized bags), you are in a world of hurt.

I just check my bag. Allows me to go to the counter (rarely do I wait in any line there), make sure I have the best seat available, check for first class upgrade, and drop off my bulky bag.

Yes, there are issues if you end up changing flights (as evidenced by my issues with the trip I'm on now) and yeah, the baggage handlers are criminals (as evidenced by my camera being stolen from my checked bags late last year) but I will continue to check my bag, even on an overnighter. I just find it easier.

I see a lot of negative thoughts on checking your bag. I for one hate carrying my bag on the plane. I already have a pretty big carry-on (laptop case), so the last thing I want is my roller bag. I'm not sure it would even fit in the overhead bins. And if it somehow doesn't fit (different bins allow different sized bags), you are in a world of hurt.

I just check my bag. Allows me to go to the counter (rarely do I wait in any line there), make sure I have the best seat available, check for first class upgrade, and drop off my bulky bag.

Yes, there are issues if you end up changing flights (as evidenced by my issues with the trip I'm on now) and yeah, the baggage handlers are criminals (as evidenced by my camera being stolen from my checked bags late last year) but I will continue to check my bag, even on an overnighter. I just find it easier.

+1