[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I got a bad PSA test.....

rocknrobn26

I have to make an appointment to see a Urologist. My chest x-ray was fine ( I was really worried about that) and then I get blindsided w/ this. :D

The last 2 months really have sucked, health wise.

Anyone w/ some insight into what I should expect?

TIA

Edited by rocknrobn26

my dad had a really high PSA about 4 years ago......looked like he was a surgery canidate.... but they tried some medicine 1st and he responded well.....know the meds are even better and he's doing great .....just has to go in to keep tabs on the PSA........good-luck to ya RR... :D

Were you the guy that said when your Prostate acts up it's like pissin in Morse Code......... :D

my dad had a really high PSA about 4 years ago......looked like he was a surgery canidate.... but they tried some medicine 1st and he responded well.....know the meds are even better and he's doing great .....just has to go in to keep tabs on the PSA........good-luck to ya RR... :D

Were you the guy that said when your Prostate acts up it's like pissin in Morse Code......... :tup:

I think that was Grits! I pee in a short circuit............a straight line! I have none of those problems! :D

Thanks for the vibes and good intentions. :doh:

RR, I know it's easy for me to say, but don't get too stressed... even elevated P specific antogen count doesn't mean there is a problem.... it's a marker that there could be one. What did the doc say about the ... well... you know... "digital exam"? In any case, very treatable, and less invasive treatment techniques these days work very well...removal of the prostrate IF there is a problem doesn't happen very often anymore, that's reserved for rather advanced situations. The urologist will let you know whats up, until then, don't stress. Most men get elevated PSA's sooner or later.

Only 25 to 30% of patients with high PSA levels turn out to have cancer. Other causes include benign prostatic hypertrophy (enlargement of the prostate), urinary tract infection, or inflammation anywhere in the body (to name a few causes). Your doc will probably start with a rectal exam. He may then suggest an imaging study (sonogram or CT scan) to see if the prostate looks normal. The definitive test is a biopsy of the prostate.

Only 25 to 30% of patients with high PSA levels turn out to have cancer. Other causes include benign prostatic hypertrophy (enlargement of the prostate), urinary tract infection, or inflammation anywhere in the body (to name a few causes). Your doc will probably start with a rectal exam. He may then suggest an imaging study (sonogram or CT scan) to see if the prostate looks normal. The definitive test is a biopsy of the prostate.

Just for further assurance for RR: Chargerz, even if it is something terrible like prostate cancer, aren't the remission rates incredibly high?

Hang in there. :D

Just for further assurance for RR: Chargerz, even if it is something terrible like prostate cancer, aren't the remission rates incredibly high?

Yes. Thanks for bringing that up. The five-year survival rate for men with stage 1 or 2 prostate cancer (limited to the prostate gland only) is about 80%. If the cancer has spread just to areas around the prostate, the five-year survival is 60%, and if it has spread to other areas of the body, five-year survival drops to 25%.

RR, I know it's easy for me to say, but don't get too stressed... even elevated P specific antogen count doesn't mean there is a problem.... it's a marker that there could be one. What did the doc say about the ... well... you know... "digital exam"? In any case, very treatable, and less invasive treatment techniques these days work very well...removal of the prostrate IF there is a problem doesn't happen very often anymore, that's reserved for rather advanced situations. The urologist will let you know whats up, until then, don't stress. Most men get elevated PSA's sooner or later.

I have to make an appt. next week to see the Urologist, so no digi exam yet. Thanks.

Thanks for the info, Doc.

Again, thanks for the well wishes/prayers. Looks like I'm the first here to have this, :D so I'll update when I find out more.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just got back from the Urologist and got the digit exam, Doc/Rovers. I guess that was ok. He thinks it might be prostatitis and wanted to put me on 4 weeks of antibiotics. Fat chance that's going to happen. If I did I'd look like this guy>>> :D He understood so basically I wait 2 months, get another blood test, and if it's still high it's biopsy city. :D

Thanks for the support.

Well I just got back from the Urologist and got the digit exam, Doc/Rovers. I guess that was ok. He thinks it might be prostatitis and wanted to put me on 4 weeks of antibiotics. Fat chance that's going to happen. If I did I'd look like this guy>>> :D He understood so basically I wait 2 months, get another blood test, and if it's still high it's biopsy city. :tup:

Thanks for the update. You're still on my prayer list! :D