[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cleanse For Life Diet

pork chop express

on my second day and I could strangle someone. so hunggy, so very hunggy (spoken like Homer when he was fasting against the Isotopes move to Albequerque). Just started yesterday and have 7.5 days left of the cleanse. Just drinking lots of water and eating almonds and two kinds of drinks.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is a quick way to drop about 20 lbs. I have friends here that have completed it and it seems to be working for them. You do it for about a month. Drinking shakes, eating almonds, accelerator pills, and vitamins. It is safe and effective. the toughest part is the first few days.

as far as what i am trying to cleanse, i guess everything. i haven't exactly been living the most healthy of life styles for about 2 years. i am coming up on 34 and need to get it together a little bit.

It is safe and effective.

I would not be so sure about this. Without changing your lifestyle, you will just yo-yo your weight, and this is more damaging to a body than just being fat. No get thin quick miracle exists. It takes a disciplined diet, an exercise regimen and dedication.

You are f'ing with your metabolism and lord knows what else. You already feeling moody and cranky is a telltale sign that something aint right with what you are doing to your body, and I'm guessing it isn't menopause.

But, to each their own.... if you can do this and then stick to a healthy diet and exercise program to keep the weight off or continue to drop weight, more power to you, but it certainly is not a safe way to be doing it.

Dozens of books and hundreds of web sites promote "detox" regimens. Spas invite dieters to spend thousands of dollars to starve themselves in exotic locations. But many dietitians and medical experts say these diets are pointless at best and dangerous at worst.

Like other fad diets, detox regimens promise quick weight losses that are ultimately unsustainable, critics say. They're based on "junk science" rather than a true understanding of how the body works. Worst of all, extreme diets like the Master Cleanse can cause serious side effects in vulnerable groups.

"These diets can give people a false sense of security, a feeling that they've been protective of their health," Dawn Jackson-Blatner, a dietitian at the Northwestern Memorial Hospital Wellness Institute and American Dietetic Association spokeswoman, tells WebMD. "Then, when the diet's over, they go back to their normal way of eating."

Seems like good advice to me.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features...s-purging-myths

Edit for more:

Perhaps most alarming, colon cleansers have no proven safety record. “Colon cleansers are really not strictly regulated and tested,” Johnson says. “If a product is shown to be harmful, the FDA will take action to have it removed from shelves, but it’s not at all the same as taking a prescription drug that’s been tested meticulously.”

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/colon-c...s-are-they-safe

Edited by rocknrobn26

I am eating a Kafta meatball pita sandwich with some potato salad on the side...very tasty...

I'm not on a diet and this sounds good.

I never fast for more than two days, but I do like the effects when I do. It can be a nice kick start if I want to get back on the right track.

I typically do the master cleanse which basically amounts to prepping by eating very light, vegetable only diet for about two days and then drinking a ton of water and 4 16oz glasses of water with some maple syrup, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper mixed in. I'm not sure how long you are supposed to go, but I typically stick with two days. It's actually pretty tasty. In fact, we have a cocktail at the restaurant that's based on it, basically all the above mixed with bourbon instead of water. We call it Sweet Heat. At any rate, I digress.

After the cleanse, I have a ton of energy and find that I don't just start eating crap right away because of an overwhelming desire to protect what I just cleaned. I find that I wake up earlier than usual, completely refreshed and show better efforts when I exercise.

One summer when I was in Kauai with my clients, I did such a fast in the middle of 2 week bikram yoga intensive. I practically felt super human by the end of that.

I've known plenty of people who did super long fasts but those guys were all anemic hippies who seemed insanely fragile and I wouldn't ever want to take it that far. Besides, I obviously love food.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/05/02/maste...e.ap/index.html

Experts skeptical of 'Master Cleanse' detox diet

NEW YORK (AP) -- At 6-foot-4 and a rangy 212 pounds, Scott Campbell doesn't need to lose weight. But there he was, squeezing lemon juice and mixing it with maple syrup, bottled water and cayenne pepper.

It is part of an extreme "detoxifying" diet called the Master Cleanse, whose adherents swallow nothing but the lemon concoction, saltwater and laxative tea.

Also known as the lemonade diet, the Master Cleanse has gained in popularity recently, thanks to celebrities like Beyonce Knowles who swear by the regimen, as bad as it may taste.

"I'm never hungry," said Campbell, a 35-year-old freelance TV producer from New York City who was cleansing not to lose weight, but because he usually eats "a lot of bad stuff" like burgers, fries and Philly cheesesteaks.

Devotees of the diet eat no solid food but drink up to 10 daily glasses of the lemon juice cocktail and round it off with saltwater in the morning and laxative tea at night. They are supposed to stay on the cleanse for at least 10 days, then ease back into normal eating with orange juice and vegetable soup.

The main drawback: You never want to be too far from a toilet. The cleanse produces very liquid and copious bowel movements. As for other side effects, some say they are always hungry.

Medical authorities say they have yet to see any evidence of harm from the Master Cleanse, though experts generally caution against extended fasting and other extreme diets.

They say those who try the Master Cleanse to lose weight will just gain it back. And they dispute the claim that the Master Cleanse or any other diet can "detoxify" the body from the effects of red meat, sugar, fried foods or alcohol -- or that the body needs to be detoxified at all.

"We have organ systems such as the liver, spleen, lungs, skin and digestive system that we have all been given that do that," said David Grotto, a dietitian in Chicago and a spokesman for the American Dietetic Association.

Dr. Ed Zimney, the medical director of HealthTalk, a Seattle, Washington-based Web site where a lively debate about the cleanse has flourished, said: "Your gastrointestinal tract does not need to be cleaned out because it is constantly in motion. This whole idea of cleaning out toxins from the colon is a complete myth and unnecessary."

Diet invented 60 years ago

The Master Cleanse was invented 60 years ago by nutrition guru Stanley Burroughs, who wrote the book "The Master Cleanser" in 1976. The formula is purified water, organic lemon juice, cayenne pepper and organic grade B maple syrup, which is less refined than the more commonly used grade A.

It is impossible to know how many people have tried the cleanse. There are enough devotees in the upscale neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights, New York, that Perelandra, a health food store, sells more copies of "The Master Cleanser" than any other book and does a brisk business in lemons, maple syrup and cayenne pepper, general manager Allison Nichols said.

According to one Web site that promotes the cleanse, the purpose is "to dissolve and eliminate toxins and congestion; to cleanse the kidneys and digestive system; to purify glands; to eliminate waste and hardened materials in the joints and muscles; to build a healthy bloodstream; to maintain optimal blood pressure; and to what you all are waiting to hear ... to lose weight."

Weight loss was Beyonce's motivation; she told Oprah Winfrey that she dropped 20 pounds on the cleanse to prepare for "Dreamgirls."

Howard Stern's sidekick Robin Quivers told People magazine that she went from 218 to 145 pounds on the cleanse. She said the diet also helped ease joint pain and fatigue.

The diet has fans beyond celebrities and the hip neighborhoods of New York City.

Zoe Cochran, a 52-year-old in Navasota, Texas, is a hard-core master cleanser. She does an annual 30-day cleanse plus periodic shorter ones.

"After the cleanse I have great digestion and great elimination," she said. "People are chronically constipated."

Cochran said the cleanse also cured an injured knee that was so painful she couldn't get up from a sitting position.

Ted Damiecki, 55, of Bridgehampton, New York, said he has gone on the cleanse twice and it has helped his chronic fatigue syndrome.

"I've been all over the East Coast trying to find cures for chronic fatigue syndrome," he said. "I went on the cleanse and I felt better within four or five days."

Campbell first tried the cleanse because a friend was doing it; he was pleasantly surprised. "I felt like I had a lot more energy, which I didn't expect," he said. "I was thinking I was going to be tired."

Neil Paz, 30, of Arlington, Virginia, considered the cleanse after actor-singer Jared Leto touted it. But in the end, he decided that "the whole detoxification aspect seemed very New Age-pet rock" and decided to eat more vegetables and drink more water instead.

"Doing that and exercising more is not going to be as fast but is the healthy way to go," he said.

The main drawback: You never want to be too far from a toilet. The cleanse produces very liquid and copious bowel movements. As for other side effects, some say they are always hungry.

That alone seals it for me! :D Talk w/ our resident Doc!

Don't F' around w/ your innards!

Don't go for quick weight loss!

Don't feed the money hungry "experts". :D

Don't F' around w/ your innards!

Don't be an ass!!!!!

I'm going to stuff about 15 slices of Cici's pizza in my gourd tonight. That should cleanse me out real good.

If I need a cleansing..................There is always "White Castle" :D

Wow, and here I thought I actually felt better after doing it. Silly me. It all must have been in my head. Certainly there is no substitute for simply living clean, but somebody who's never tried it is not going to convince someone who's had a positive experience with it that it doesn't work.

Wow, and here I thought I actually felt better after doing it. Silly me. It all must have been in my head. Certainly there is no substitute for simply living clean, but somebody who's never tried it is not going to convince someone who's had a positive experience with it that it doesn't work.

I was just linking from CNN the article. That's it.

Am with ya- a few of my ex's have talked me into cleanses, and the lemon juice fast. It does a good job of jump starting me, getting the body used to eating healthier, and less -which is key. Once u get thru the feel like chit part of it- it does end up making you feel refreshed, energized and healthy. Then, you gradually fall back into the pizza, cocktails and mexican food routine..........

A person's body doesn't need to get used to eating healthier or less.

It is a person's brain that needs the help. If you goofballs need to trick yourself into thinking that this sort of harmful initiation is what is needed to switch over to a healthier life-style, so be it. But it is really only a gimmick.