[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wake up and smell the....

jaxfactor

FIRES! Man, it started a couple weeks ago. Depending on which way the wind was blowing, one could smell the smoke from the wildfires in Georgia. Now there are fires popping up all over Florida. This morning was awful. Smells like you're standing right next to a campfire. You can see the smoke in the air. It got so bad that my contact lenses started bothering me. I get home and blow my nose and black chit comes out. It's really bad here in Florida. We need rain really bad. Tropical storm Andrea dropped a little rain but not nearly enough. I'm appealing to all the good folks at the Huddle to pray for some rain here in Florida and from what I've seen briefly, Southern California also. Sure wish we could get the rain that the midwest is getting. They're getting too much and we aren't getting any. Is it bad down your way Unt?

Yesterday evening there was a gray mist all over and the aroma of fire was thick in the air...even though we've had no fires in our area. I can only imagine how big some of the fires are. We will need a rainy season that is way, way, way above average to pull us out of this drought. While I'm not rooting for hurricanes this year, I'd like to see 2-3 tropical depressions/storms visit florida.

Every country I was stationed in in SE Asia (especially Thailand) smelled of smoke 24/7 because of all the outdoor fires. Now when I smell wood burning when I'm outside it always gives my memory a little jog. I finished reading 1491 by Charles C. Mann, a history of America before Columbus, and he says that the native Americans used fire as an "ecological management tool". Apparently the Indians burned tens of thousands of acres of woods every year to keep the forests under control. Not that I don't feel for you Jax and especially folks who are losing their homes and property, but I'm not so sure these big fires are the disaster the news media always reports them to be. Just another example of Mother Earth showing us puny humans who really controls the planet I guess.

I'm praying for rain for all who need it. :D

Yesterday evening there was a gray mist all over and the aroma of fire was thick in the air...even though we've had no fires in our area. I can only imagine how big some of the fires are. We will need a rainy season that is way, way, way above average to pull us out of this drought. While I'm not rooting for hurricanes this year, I'd like to see 2-3 tropical depressions/storms visit florida.

+1 Smelled and saw the smoke in Palm Beach. Yesterday morning was very hazy. My wife said that there were some fires popping up in St Lucie county now as well. Did you hear anything about those Unta?

Wish we could send some of our rain down there. We have been in your position though, so I know what it is like. One thing to remember, as long as fires aren't destroying homes, they are an important part of nature.

Fires, tornados and an early tropical storm - yikes. I think the 'big profits' (of the last 2 years) for the insurance companies will be sucked up this year.

You don't have to be in the danger zones to be personally effected somehow. Damn - my profit sharing might take a hit, but its better than losing your house/whole town.

God bless and good luck to all who are suffering...

+1 Smelled and saw the smoke in Palm Beach. Yesterday morning was very hazy. My wife said that there were some fires popping up in St Lucie county now as well. Did you hear anything about those Unta?

No, but I've been extremely busy at work. I don't smell smoke now but it's not windy at the moment.

We got it in Tampa/St Pete on Tues and then again today - seems to be off/on based on wind patterns. Gotta think it'll make the TPC that much tougher - standing over that 140 yd 17th hole to the island green, but all you can think of is "sh*t, am i about to burn up".....lots of balls in the water

is anyone elses car, which is hundreds of miles from a fire, covered in ash? I couldn't figure out where all the dirt came from on our cars...then my wife said "looks like someone smoked and scattered their ashes all over our cars last night" - dawned on both of us at same time that crap blew hundreds of miles

We're getting a nice, heavy rainstorm right now. I know it's not even going to put a dent in the drought, but you gotta start somewhere.

Getting a strong thunderstorm after a long drought here.