[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis - more injury problems

I wouldnt be worried about this what-so-ever. I have tendinitis in my hands and fingers, I also do a lot of work that requires the use of my fingers (bass). All I have to do is warm up and take an advil. From what Potis says, it goes away once he runs, or warms up. Its no big deal.

Tendonitis can be a minor problem, but at the other end of the spectrum, also career threatening. It could be as simple as a slight imbalance in muscle strength that can be corrected with some simple easy to do physical therapy, to a much larger problem. Barlow's career ended because of knee tendonitis. On the other hand, it's often nothing that will affect a player's ability to stay on the field. I have it in my left knee, and if I ride a bike, it will just blow up on me. This certainly bears watching, but as of yet not something to get overly worried about either.

Portis may have simply laid off training while rehabbing the shoulder, and some physical therapy could make it a complete non-factor. In any case, it's not news that Portis owners wanted to hear, that's for sure.

+1

The guy showed he can be legit as a featured RB. There's going to be some dynasty owners sweating some during TC.

Ladell Betts might be last year's McCallister, taken no higher than 5th or 6th round but worth WAY more than that in the end.

Ladell Betts might be last year's McCallister, taken no higher than 5th or 6th round but worth WAY more than that in the end.

I have it on good authority that Betts probably won't be available in the Norris Division.

You guys forget that he averages a touchdown for every 62 carries...

I don't think we're forgetting that. At least I am not. But know also that his starts last year, projected over a full 16 games, led to a 2,000 yard season. In another thread, broncosn05 did the math. He's learning multiplication and division this week! I'll take "only" 7 rushing TD's for that kind of production.

Wait -- did I just use broncosn05 as a reference to make a point? What is the world coming to... :D

If you look at what he did before December he put up 488 yards and one touchdown. You can always manipulate numbers to make them work for you. There was also five games in which he did not start but still had 10 or more carries as well, so its not like he didnt get plenty of touches before that.

Portis will still get the carries 3:1.

A tendinitis problem could befuddle the position the entire year though. Week-to-week, day-to-day it may not be known who will get a start or who will get the majority of carries due to quite a few annoying "game-time decisions" for Portis.

The article doesn't make it sound too serious but it warrants monitoring Portis' training camp and preseason for sure.

Allen Iverson wears a compression sleeve on his right arm due to tendinitis in his elbow. It seems that the affliction has not slowed his game play...

I guess what I am trying to convey is, I'm not sure that the tendinitis in Portis' knee is even an issue.

Allen Iverson wears a compression sleeve on his right arm due to tendinitis in his elbow. It seems that the affliction has not slowed his game play...

I guess what I am trying to convey is, I'm not sure that the tendinitis in Portis' knee is even an issue.

I don't think it is. It's likely due to lack of field time while he was healing from shoulder surgery. Heck, even with a time-share I think he'll still get 1200 and 8+ on the ground...

That can be the downward spiral of injuries. One injury cause a player to be inactive, and then that player is forced back into action out-of-shape and out-of-practice and is bound to get re-injured. Portis has had so many nagging injuries that will most likely re-occur, that I can't see him ever being completely healthy again. I guarantee that he will have hamstring problems sometime this season. I'd rather use a 6th round pick on Betts and wait for Portis to injure himself than try to figure out week-to-week whether Clinton is going to play that week. The Skins running back situation could be more frustrating than the Denver running back situation this year.

Guaranteed hamstring problems? Based on what? The fact that he has never had any?

Portis tweaked his hammy in August of 2005, so it has happened. But you're right, to have had virtually no hamstring problems over his career means that maybe that is the one area of his body not susceptable to injury. He has injured his hand, wrist, chest, thigh, neck, shoulder, calf, groin, elbow, toe, knee, and ankle (I'm probably forgetting something, hip? ribs? adam's apple?)

I was only basing that guarantee on that his knee problem will keep him from running much and hammy's tend to be an injury players get when brought back quickly or are held out of practice which seems inevitable in his case. Though it's more true for wide receivers than running backs. But he has been held out of practice before and not hurt his hammy, so you're right that guaranteeing an injured hammy is foolish on my part. Too bad the rest of his body isn't as durable as his hamstrings. I will guarantee that he will be a weekly fixture on the injury report. That's not really going out on a limb.

Means little. You are being short-sighted, IMO, since he missed games last year. Portis is probably the toughest RB in the league. He plays through injury, and produces despite them.

Most of his problems have been upper body, due to his propensity to break tackles. I don't recall him ever having any major leg troubles. I recall the hand and shoulder injuries (last season). And he had a sore calf and chest in 05 (which he played through--and well I might add). But the rest of those I believe you are mistaken on.

Most RBs are going to get something knicked during every season. So these minor injuries are of little concern and are in the past. He only shortened the last season due to the Skins being out of the playoff picture. There are few RBs in the league that are as gutty and dependable as Dr. Idont Know.

And for the record, I've been a basketball player most of my life and have had tendonitis many times (never had any hamstring problems).

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

I don't think its so much the tendinitis that's the problem: its just that the tendinitis is yet another in a long list of dings and dents Portis seems to endure. He seems to have become very "Westbrookish" in that regard.

Edited by yo mama

I don't think its so much the tendinitis that's the problem: its just that the tendinitis is yet another in a long list of dings and dents Portis seems to endure. He seems to have become very "Westbrookish" in that regard.

I understand the point that you are trying to make but there are very few running backs that make it through an entire NFL season without injury, serious or not. Portis, aside from last season, (in which the Redskins had no shot at the playoffs) plays through the nagging/minor injuries that an NFL running back endures.

It seemed for the first time in his career Westbrook played through those minor injuries last season, which hopefully is a turning point for him. The Eagles success is dependant on him being on the field.

There are two maybe three running backs that seemingly do not have those issues. The rest of the running back pool is a crap shoot imo, Portis and Westbrook included.

The question is how comfortable are you with the risk/reward factor? Portis and Westbrook both have the necessary skill set and opportunity to be top 5 fantasy performers. Will they be? I have no clue...

The question is how comfortable are you with the risk/reward factor? Portis and Westbrook both have the necessary skill set and opportunity to be top 5 fantasy performers. Will they be? I have no clue...

Exactly. Portis has so much upside that he's worth the risk in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Things are looking a little better now:

Clinton Portis and director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer both said that he is recovering well from a bout of tendonitis in his knee and will be full-go for the start of training camp. He'll miss this month's mini camp.

:D