[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Future of Airline Travel

spain

The Airline Industry is changing. Discounters like Southwest Airlines have had varying degrees of success. But the next big thing is unbundled services. In other words, you will have to pay for anything other than the flight itself including having more than 1 small piece of luggage, food, beverage service, etc. The price will be dirt cheap, but the seats will be crammed in and it will be truly no frills. And most will fly into secondary airports. Leading the race to unbundled services is an airline that is micking Ryanair in Europe called Skybus. Skybus will begin operations soon out of Columbus, Ohio, but will rapidly expand to other markets. Any thoughts?

http://www.skybus.com/

Edited by spain

The Airline Industry is changing. Discounters like Southwest Airlines have had varying degrees of success. But the next big thing is unbundled services. In other words, you will have to pay for anything other than the flight itself including having more than 1 small piece of luggage, food, beverage service, etc. The price will be dirt cheap, but the seats will be crammed in and it will be truly no frills. And most will fly into secondary airports. Leading the race to unbundled services is an airline that is micking Ryanair in Europe called Skybus. Skybus will begin operations soon out of Columbus, Ohio, but will rapidly expand to other markets. Any thoughts?

http://www.skybus.com/

The next big thing in air travel is air taxis. The price for a family of 4 to travel on the big airlines is outrageous. Companies like Net Jets are looking into very cheap to operate business jets (Eclipse) for personal use. I do not see the big boys lasting more than another 100 years or so as they are. They have to change their price to structure or go back under regulation.

:D

The next big thing in air travel is air taxis. The price for a family of 4 to travel on the big airlines is outrageous. Companies like Net Jets are looking into very cheap to operate business jets (Eclipse) for personal use. I do not see the big boys lasting more than another 100 years or so as they are. They have to change their price to structure or go back under regulation.

:D

I like this concept alot actually, but dont see it for the typical American traveller. Maybe some road warriors who own their own biz or work for a corp that doesnt need its own jet. But how does this model work for the average american family that take only a couple flights per year?

I like this concept alot actually, but dont see it for the typical American traveller. Maybe some road warriors who own their own biz or work for a corp that doesnt need its own jet. But how does this model work for the average american family that take only a couple flights per year?

Net Jets came and made a pitch at my work about a year ago. They are anticipating the NY - Miami corridor to cost ~$250/person for a full passenger load (6 people). So, you could fly from NY to Orlando for a Disney holiday without having to go through airport security, all the transferring BS and such for not much more. What is even better is you fly on your time without restriction. You are right in that this won't help the lower class at all, but for the middle and upper-middle who fly once a year for holiday it will certainly be an option.

I have flown on corporate jets before, and gov't private jets, and I will tell you there is no better way to travel. Flying in and out of small terminals is fantastic. It is a whole different experience, you can even bring a bottle of Coke with you!

Sounds like Greyhound has taken to the air.

Yes, the unbundled services model will cut the prices, but will also cut the service. A lot of people will love the cheaper fares, but it will be really be NO FRILLS. NONE!

I have flown on corporate jets before, and gov't private jets, and I will tell you there is no better way to travel. Flying in and out of small terminals is fantastic. It is a whole different experience, you can even bring a bottle of Coke with you!

+1 Yes, that is the only way to fly if possible! :D

That said, the model you describe will probably not work outside of the East coast(ny to Miami) corridor. Cant see it working nationwide, although I would be all for it.

I never really looked into NetJets (or similar) because I was always under the impression that I simply didn't fly enough to make it worthwhile...but, if you're telling us, jetsfan, that NetJets has some sort of feature where my family and I could go from NY to MIA for around $1500 (six at $250/ea), I may have to look them up...

Net Jets came and made a pitch at my work about a year ago. They are anticipating the NY - Miami corridor to cost ~$250/person for a full passenger load (6 people). So, you could fly from NY to Orlando for a Disney holiday without having to go through airport security, all the transferring BS and such for not much more. What is even better is you fly on your time without restriction. You are right in that this won't help the lower class at all, but for the middle and upper-middle who fly once a year for holiday it will certainly be an option.

$250 a person isn't out of the realm of possibility for someone of more modest means.

Given the convenience of it, $250 a person is certainly a price I would be willing to pay. That's why I work hard and save - to ENJOY my time off.

I have flown on corporate jets before, and gov't private jets, and I will tell you there is no better way to travel. Flying in and out of small terminals is fantastic. It is a whole different experience, you can even bring a bottle of water with you!

Fixed for the Vicks of the world.

Very interesting. I travel a lot for work (which is paid for by our clients) so I don't really care one way or another. But for personal travel, this could be very cool. Austin would be classified as a "secondary" airport and when/if it ever comes here, I'd certainly consider it for personal travel.

Yes, the unbundled services model will cut the prices, but will also cut the service. A lot of people will love the cheaper fares, but it will be really be NO FRILLS. NONE!

I've flown RyanAir, and will be flying them again in August from SHannon, Ireland to London, England. THey are perfectly acceptable for short flights, such as that or something like LA to Vegas or San Francisco. Much longer than that and I wouldn't care for it much.

The price will be dirt cheap, but the seats will be crammed in and it will be truly no frills. And most will fly into secondary airports.

I have no problem with this. The cheaper the better. There will always be travel options for people who wish to be more options/comfort.

I have no problem with this. The cheaper the better. There will always be travel options for people who wish to be more options/comfort.

I actually don't see where it says the seats will be crammed in. It does say that the aisle has been designed wider. I'm no engineer so maybe this is physically impossible. I don't know how they'd work it out seeing that Americans are, in general, a bunch of lard-asses. :D