[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

surprise team this year

tarantula

I have to vote the Cards. Yah yah, they always suck, but Green is finally gone (:tup::doh::yay::D:yay::D:yay::clap::D:D) and we can all agree that Leinart has the "it" factor. Granted, he might try to soak up too much too soon, and get the yips, but he's proven himself on the biggest of stages before, and the Edge is really REALLY aching for a breakin...

edit: I like the Eagles too. I know they're not a bottom feeder, but no one expected them to win the division last year, and not alot are picking them to win the div again...

Edited by LooGie

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it is not surprising that Dallas fans are already picking their team as SB favorites. And will be quick to hop off the bandwagon should the Cowboys come out of the gate slowly.

that was quite moving...

I shed a tear reading this ....this poetry..

The Redskins will be much improved this year.

All in all the D should be greatly improved and the offense in it's second year under Saunders should also make great strides. In K.C. it took until year 2 for the offense to gel under Saunders. 2 years ago this was a playoff team that disappointed last year b/c of a QB change and many injuries. This team is more talented than 05' and I expect a big leap in 07'.

I agree on the offense. It takes time to get the new offense but the D did surprise last year. Landy, a lighter Taylor and assimilated McIntosh should help greatly. Andre Carter did have a better last 5 games of the season. You are right.

that was quite moving...

I shed a tear reading this ....this poetry..

:D

Edited by Randall

:D BIG SURPRISE THERE!!!

All jokes aside, the bills could make some noise if they can just overcome their nasty looking schedule.

I stated in an earlier reply how tough their schedule looked this year. It may help some players fantasy wise but don't know if it'll help them record wise. I like Lee Evans alot and feel he could be an elite WR if Losman continues to improve his game. The rookie Lynch will help Buffalo more than Willis did.Evans would surely benefit from a better WR2 than they have now. I don't think the Bills will finish last in their division but with all the good teams in the AFC they're gonna have to be at the top of their game if they hope to even make the playoffs.

I'm going with the Cowboys. A lot of people are discounting them because of the coaching change, but I see it as a blessing, as Phillips is sure to get more out of that defense. Add to that Spencer or even better yet a healthy Greg Davis, and I think that defense is going to be one of the more exciting ones in the league. My only real concern is at safety, hopefully Phillips can devise a way to compensate for Roy Williams lack of coverage skills.

On offense, they have gotten better on the O-line. While they overpaid for Leonard Davis, he is still a very good upgrade over what they had. Romo has another year under his belt, so he should improve upon some of the mistakes he made last year. While he has been in the league for a while, last year was much like a rookie year for him. The play calling will be changed a little bit, but no much. They are deeper at WR this year than they were last year. I look forward to seeing a healthy Creighton. I'm also interested in what Jamel Richardson can do. He went to the CFL after his sophmore year at a JC to help support his struggling family. He's still young, and at 6-3, 220lbs with pretty good speed he could be a pleasant suprise.

Cowboy's problem .............................. Mr. Tony Romo.

Cowboy's problem .............................. Mr. Tony Romo.

Not really sure yet, however, if he does turn out to be a problem we can always turn it over to Brad Johnson. :D

Someone has to pick the G-men so I'll do it. I know there are a lot of big question marks but I believe Jacobs & Eli will impress.

Jacobs has too much of an up-right running style; he will get nailed many many times. Eli is the most overrated QB who is a huge albatross on the Giants salary cap. But they have too much invested to cut him! :D

Someone has to pick the G-men so I'll do it. I know there are a lot of big question marks but I believe Jacobs & Eli will impress.

I hear you Timmy, somebody has to pick them. But for crying out loud... I like you, so why did it have to be you!?!? :D

Not exactly a "rags to riches" prediction, but I'm going with the Packers. Despite a bad start, their defense improved significantly down the stretch and I foresee them progressing even more. Favre will also benefit from an experienced and more productive Jennings alongside Driver.

And much of this has to do with the rest of the division. SB losers have a history of tanking the following season and the Bears already have a lot of problems: Briggs is holding out, Brown is (quietly) looking to be traded, Harris is coming off of a major injury, Mike Brown is gone, Jones is gone, Benson can't stay healthy, Muhammad is overdue for another hamstring injury, and Grossman is now under more pressure than ever (and we all know how well he deals with it). I liked what I saw from the Vikings run D last year, but they couldn't defend the pass, their D-coordinator is gone, and their offense is a disaster. The Lions may be able to score a lot of points in Martz's offense, but they won't be able to keep up with what their defense allows.

Packers win the Norris at 11-5.

Edited by Bill Swerski

ok.

Rooke 1st post here, let the fun begin....

Right now the consensus about Tarvaris Jackson is 'garbage' in the fantasy football world. With good merit I might add. He didn't look all that great in the games he played, but what rookie thrown to the dogs late in the year ever does? I mean it's not like he came from So Cal, or Notre Dame, or <insert any other semi pro college team here> similar schools. But I'm telling you - this kid has something special and I hope the coaching staff of the Vikings can squeeze it out of him.

Early reports from the OTA's is that he's struggling. I'm anxious to see what he looks like the first couple preseason games before I decide. Daunte Culpepper looked 5 times as awful as Tarvaris his first year. I thought we were going to have a major crisis on our hands until he blew up.

Wrapping this up - one of the main strengths Tarvaris Jackson has that is hard to teach is touch on the ball on the short and medium range passes. It comes in at a good speed and arc for the receivers (when we actually get a good receiver that can catch lol). Not only that but the man does have a gun when he wants to.

Fantasy wise - he's a late round flyer at best at this point. The WR position is the most unstable I think in Vikings history, which will bring his stock down even further.

Rooke 1st post here, let the fun begin....

Right now the consensus about Tarvaris Jackson is 'garbage' in the fantasy football world. With good merit I might add. He didn't look all that great in the games he played, but what rookie thrown to the dogs late in the year ever does? I mean it's not like he came from So Cal, or Notre Dame, or <insert any other semi pro college team here> similar schools. But I'm telling you - this kid has something special and I hope the coaching staff of the Vikings can squeeze it out of him.

Early reports from the OTA's is that he's struggling. I'm anxious to see what he looks like the first couple preseason games before I decide. Daunte Culpepper looked 5 times as awful as Tarvaris his first year. I thought we were going to have a major crisis on our hands until he blew up.

Wrapping this up - one of the main strengths Tarvaris Jackson has that is hard to teach is touch on the ball on the short and medium range passes. It comes in at a good speed and arc for the receivers (when we actually get a good receiver that can catch lol). Not only that but the man does have a gun when he wants to.

Fantasy wise - he's a late round flyer at best at this point. The WR position is the most unstable I think in Vikings history, which will bring his stock down even further.

Not that you need anyone's validation, but you did well for your first post. Welcome to The Huddle. :D

Not exactly a "rags to riches" prediction, but I'm going with the Packers. Despite a bad start, their defense improved significantly down the stretch and I foresee them progressing even more. Favre will also benefit from an experienced and more productive Jennings alongside Driver.

I think the Packers can be a very solid team this year and I would say they can be a "surprise" team this season as well. I am not sure if they can win the division, but they will make a run for it and will be in the Wild Card race. Swerski is dead on about the defense. With Barnett and AJ Hawk, the linebacking crew is stellar. Collins is a young stud and if Woodson can play as well as he did last season, people should start looking out. The only real question mark I have about their team is their running game.

:D at the Cowboys fans coming in this thread and saying they are a "surprise" team. You guys are one of the top teams in the NFC. You should be aiming for the Super Bowl. My lord, get a hobby.

I think the surprise team will be the Bears tanking it. That defense has given the offense about 4-5 years of good football to win a championship. I think they peaked and will be on the downfall giving the Packers, Vikings and Lions a shot at the division with a 11-5 record. I am just not sure what team it will be yet.

I think the surprise team will be the Bears tanking it. That defense has given the offense about 4-5 years of good football to win a championship. I think they peaked and will be on the downfall giving the Packers, Vikings and Lions a shot at the division with a 11-5 record. I am just not sure what team it will be yet.

Well let me help you narrow down the list, it won't be the Vikings!! :D:D

Well let me help you narrow down the list, it won't be the Vikings!! :D:D

I don't think it will be them either because of the schedule.

The reason they could. They have the best defense of the three. They are getting Greenway back and they had a good draft. Of the 10 games they lost last year, I think 6 of those were less than 6 points. They were in most games.

Even though I have a hard time picking the Lions, they might make some noise this year.

Edited by Outshined

I don't think it will be them either because of the schedule.

The reason they could. They have the best defense of the three. They are getting Greenway back and they had a good draft. Of the six games they lost last year, I think 6 of those were less than 6 points. They were in most games.

Even though I have a hard time picking the Lions, they might make some noise this year.

It should be fun to watch and I agree with you that the Bears will fall off some and that each of the other 3 teams will be better. Anything can happen and if T Jackson can play above projections and get some help from C Taylor and AD, with that line and defense... magic could happen.

The Detroit Lions???

"The Detroit Lions haven't had a winning record since 2000 and haven't won 10 games since 1995. That's all going to change in 2007, according to quarterback Jon Kitna.

In March, Kitna said the Lions would win 10 games in 2007, but after seeing the team's schedule he adjusted his prediction -- higher.

"I'll keep to myself what I think we actually will win. But it's more than 10 games," Kitna said.

Part of the reason for Kitna's optimism is Calvin Johnson, the team's first-round draft pick.

"I don't like putting a lot of pressure on people, but Calvin Johnson, to me, will have about the same impact that Reggie Bush had in New Orleans," Kitna said. "He's everything that they said he was and more."

The answer is there.....Oakland, Arizona, and Detroit have the best chances of being playoff teams next season.

Good analysis. I have placed my faith in you. I ordered non-refundable playoffs tickets for my son's Christmas present. He's two and I'm sure he'll just be getting the meaning of Christmas. Thank you. :D

I think the Packers can be a very solid team this year and I would say they can be a "surprise" team this season as well. I am not sure if they can win the division, but they will make a run for it and will be in the Wild Card race. Swerski is dead on about the defense. With Barnett and AJ Hawk, the linebacking crew is stellar. Collins is a young stud and if Woodson can play as well as he did last season, people should start looking out. The only real question mark I have about their team is their running game.

Well said, Goop.

I think Green Bay is a year or two away from really getting all the pieces in place. My main concerns:

1) safeties - Manuel was awful; Collins wasn't much better, but there's still hope he'll figure it out. But they either need their current guys to do a 180 or a Marviel Underwood to come back and take the job.

2) CB depth - Harris and Woodson were superb last year, but neither is a spring chicken. Will Blackmon is promising, and I hope Frank Walker can do well, but the lack of young depth behind the top two worries me - it puts them one injury from crisis mode

3) running game - Morency is unproven as a #1 NFL RB, but he was fine handling the load in college, and looked fine last year as the #2. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but worst case scenario of Morency/Jackson/Herron forming a 3-headed monster doesn't seem like it would be that bad - both Morency and Herron have proven effective when called upon to carry the load for a week or two, and while I believe Jackson was a bit overdrafted, he sounds like a nice fit for a WCO.

TEs are a black hole as well, but you can deal with issues at the TE position more easily than anywhere else. As far as all the other units, I'd rate them "solid, not spectacular", with the exception of the WRs (they have potential to be very good) and LBs (who could be phenomenal).

The Packers have a pretty young roster though, and most of their players need a bit more seasoning, though.