[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

See what happens when wiegie gets tenure...

Puddy

Grand Valley, Lake Superior Ready To Raise Tuition

POSTED: 12:12 pm EDT July 13, 2007

UPDATED: 12:59 pm EDT July 13, 2007

Two more Michigan public universities were moving to raise tuition for the upcoming school year Friday.

Lake Superior State University's governing board approved a 9.3 percent tuition increase.

Grand Valley State University officials were planning to vote on a 9.9 percent increase proposal.

The increases would cause annual tuition to rise above $7,000 a year at both schools.

Michigan State, Ferris State, Oakland, Central Michigan and Michigan Tech already have voted to raise tuition for the upcoming school year.

Other universities are expected to raise tuition soon.

Universities said the tuition increases are high this year because of decreased aid from the state increases in tenure.

Amusingly enough, earlier this afternoon I had to go talk to our assistant dean about something. Towards the end of our conversation he congratulated me on getting tenure and a promotion (from assistant to associate professor). I asked if everything had been approved by the board yet and he said that they were meeting today, but that he had been working on tenure/contract letters before I saw him and that they were being written in anticipation of the board's vote being in favor. Then he said that the big issue was the vote concerning the tuition increase. He said that all of the salary adjustment letters that they were writing were contingent on the tuition increase being approved by the board. He said that if they didn't approve the increase that all of the letters would have to be tossed out.

I was very glad to get home and see that the board did indeed approve the tuition increase.

For what it's worth, GVSU receives less money per student from the state than any other state university in Michigan AND our tuition was the third lowest among all Michigan state schools. And Grand Valley has been named one of "The 100 Best College Buys in the United States" for 10 consecutive years.

And as my final argument... I'm worth it. :D

Edited by wiegie

• 14 years later...
4 hours ago, rajncajn said:

:blink:

Yeah WTF was that, brand new poster, with a handful of odd posts (saw another one in the vaxxed/unvaxxed).

How would somebody even find this old thread, maybe a web search turned it up when looking about info on getting a wedgie  :) 

17 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Yeah WTF was that, brand new poster, with a handful of odd posts (saw another one in the vaxxed/unvaxxed).

How would somebody even find this old thread, maybe a web search turned it up when looking about info on getting a wedgie  :) 

Yeah but this is right up your alley Steve

July 21 Third Annual Night Insect Walk for Children and Adults, Secrest Arboretum, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center, 8 p.m., 

• Sad 1