[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

MBIII

mroban

last yr in only a 138 carries he never went more then 1 game without scoring....he also had 2 streaks of 4 straight games with a score...JJ has shown the propensity to get nicked up so I think if you invest in MBarber as a #3 RB then his upside is worth the risk...if you take him as RB2 then you could put yourself in a tight spot....i dont expect him to put up 15 TDs again in part time duty but I do expect him to log a few more carries and I like knowing the upside is there should JJ get a hangnail or something

situational stats show that the girls might actually do better if they committed to getting Barber at least 10 carries/game

..carries..yds.....avg....long.....TDs.

WINS 9 97 528 5.4 25 12

LOSSES 7 38 126 3.3 22 2

Edited by keggerz

last yr in only a 138 carries he never went more then 1 game without scoring....he also had 2 streaks of 4 straight games with a score...JJ has shown the propensity to get nicked up so I think if you invest in MBarber as a #3 RB then his upside is worth the risk...if you take him as RB2 then you could put yourself in a tight spot....i dont expect him to put up 15 TDs again in part time duty but I do expect him to log a few more carries and I like knowing the upside is there should JJ get a hangnail or something

I remember reading something (can't remember exactly where but it was from a beat writer, not a FF source) that said Barber has a good chance of being the starter. Evidently JJ skipped OTA. That's generally never good, and especially bad with new coaches.

I would gladly take Barber as an RB3. I'd feel a little nervous about him as an RB2 but even if the situation stays the same as last year... he'll put up decent numbers as an RB2.

Edited by kingfish247

I believe the only battle is in the minds of fantasy owners wanting the back-up to get more carries.

Add me to the list, he's the better back and theres quite a few of us that believe that, however we don't work for the Girls and we aren't the coach.

Edited by Hat Trick

I have Marion Barber, but expect JJ to have a better year this year. He's essentially playing for a contract, no longer has Tuna's negativity shutting him down and can generate real lightning. Don't get me wrong. If I were a NFL owner, I'd rather have MBIII carrying for me, but JJ has talent and people tend to underestimate him. I have no problem taking either of these two as a RB3, and wouldn't be happy with either as my RB2.

I believe the only battle is in the minds of fantasy owners wanting the back-up to get more carries.

from the other barber thread:

carries in the 4th quarter when the score was within 7 pts:

JJ: 25 carries for 68 yards 2.7avg 1TD

Barber: 28 carries for 146 yards 5.2avg 5TDs

more to come...

Last 2 minutes of a half:

JJ 3 carries for 25 yards 0TDs

Barber 15 carries for 88 yards 1TD

4th quarter:

JJ 43/138 3.2avg 1TD

Barber 50/285 5.7avg 8TDs

in the red zone:

JJ 49/138 2.8 2TDs

Barber 51/171 3.4 14TDs

while JJ may be the starter it sure looks like Barber gets the carries that matter and on top of that it sure looks like he produces with them too

Julius will end up being the starter and will be a real value pick late in drafts.

Julius is faster and hits the holes a lot quicker. He is just as good picking up the blitz and receiving out of the back field as MBIII.

MBIII scored a lot because he was the third down/goal line back in PARCELL'S offense. MBIII was also in on mostly third down/passing situations so the defense was giving him an entirely different look than when JJ was in. MBIII was Parcell's pet project.

Parcell's had such a boring, bland offense that every first down, everyone knew it was going to be a run in the first half of every game. Defenses stacked the line and JJ was hit in the back field most times. I blame the unimaginative offense as opposed to JJ.

JJ is also in a contract year and feels really disrespected. He has a lot to prove and is going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder.

I am still a big fan of MBIII. I think the two of them make a great 1-2 punch but I still think JJ wins the starting job and has a great season.

Julius will end up being the starter and will be a real value pick late in drafts.

Julius is faster and hits the holes a lot quicker. He is just as good picking up the blitz and receiving out of the back field as MBIII.

MBIII scored a lot because he was the third down/goal line back in PARCELL'S offense. MBIII was also in on mostly third down/passing situations so the defense was giving him an entirely different look than when JJ was in. MBIII was Parcell's pet project.

Parcell's had such a boring, bland offense that every first down, everyone knew it was going to be a run in the first half of every game. Defenses stacked the line and JJ was hit in the back field most times. I blame the unimaginative offense as opposed to JJ.

JJ is also in a contract year and feels really disrespected. He has a lot to prove and is going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder.

I am still a big fan of MBIII. I think the two of them make a great 1-2 punch but I still think JJ wins the starting job and has a great season.

what he said...

Carries by down(yards/tds) for Barber

1st 63/296 7

2nd 34/177 4

3rd 34/176 2

4th 4/5 1

I never knew that 25% of anything = most of something :D

Where are the Cowboy homerswitht he camp rumors?? Every time I have watched the Cowboys in recent years I have come away thinking that Marion Barber III is an absolute stud. On tape he reminds me a lot of S. Jackson. I figure that at some point he is going to earn a shot at carrying the bigger share of the load. I'll definitely take him as my #3 this year and in keeper/dynasty leagues I don't think there are a lot of better prospects out there.

Mark it down. This is the year JJ breaks out and runs wild. He will have 1300+ yards and 8 to 10 TD's while Barber does what he does best and that's pound the ball on short yardage and keep JJ fresh. Barber also has 8+ touchdowns this year. That being said, the Cowboys have their best offensive year in team history because they will be balanced. Romo will be accurate (65% c rating) throw for 4000 yards and less then 15 INT's. The strong running game will keep the TOP in our favor all year long and Wade's defense will give Romo and Co many more posessions to score points.

While watching training camp, JJ seems to have a very hostile attitude about running the rock this year. He is very much on a mission to prove he can be an every down back and put up some serious numbers. Barber is outstanding also and I can see them pushing eachother to some serious production this year. I feel like Barbers toughness has rubbed off a litte on JJ. Not to say he wasn't a tough kid but this year he seems to be a little more reckless and less shy to run over someone rather then around them.

Sounds like a deep playoff run to me, as all the pieces seem to be coming together............

then how do you explain the disparity of production on 1st down between the 2 RBs :D

Barber averaged 4.7ypc on 1st downs and had 7 of his TDs on 1st downs

JJ averaged 3.8ypc on 1st downs and had 2 of his TDs on 1st downs

also fwiw Barber had 13 carries that were 1st and goal for a total of 30 yards and 7TDs...if you back those out of the 1st down carries Barber averaged a whopping 5.32ypc on 1st down.

Wait I know, Bill called the unimaginative plays for JJ because he didnt like him and called better plays for Barber because he was his pet project.

Thats it right? :wacko:

oh and fwiw JJ has a better YPC in the 1st half of games then he did in the 2nd halfs :D

Edited by keggerz

:shakinghead:

Jones is like the sexy sports car, Barber is the dependable SUV. Everyone likes seeing the sexy sports car on the road, it looks great, runs fast, makes the driver look good, etc. But when the dirty work needs to get down, it's time for heavy carrying, and the going gets tough, the SUV gets the job done, just like in optimum circumstances, while the sports car is little more than a high priced paper weight.

Shanahan went through this phase after he was blessed with Portis (pre WWE heavyweight belt). He kept looking for the next sleek homerun hitting RB - but the guys who can take it to the house on any play AND absorb 300+ carries while making sure they get 4 yds when there is only 2 yds worth of running room are few & far between. It looks like Shanahan is finally cured of this obnoxious disease and we can get back to knocking off the other team's dicks with our running game - but it looks like DAL caught the disease. Sorry, 'Girls' fans. Sucks to be you. Good luck with Jones starting.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Mark it down. This is the year JJ breaks out and runs wild. He will have 1300+ yards and 8 to 10 TD's while Barber does what he does best and that's pound the ball on short yardage and keep JJ fresh. Barber also has 8+ touchdowns this year. That being said, the Cowboys have their best offensive year in team history because they will be balanced. Romo will be accurate (65% c rating) throw for 4000 yards and less then 15 INT's. The strong running game will keep the TOP in our favor all year long and Wade's defense will give Romo and Co many more posessions to score points.

Sounds like a deep playoff run to me, as all the pieces seem to be coming together............

:D to all of the above...definitely will bookmark this post.

Just listen to those regurgitating last yrs stats. They know whats going on down here, this yr. :D

According to some, we fans are just blind homers who don't have a clue about this situation, or anything of value to add.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

11:10am' post='2119691']

Just listen to those regurgitating last yrs stats. They know whats going on down here, this yr. :D

According to some, we fans are just blind homers who don't have a clue about this situation, or anything of value to add.

11:00am' post='2119669']

Im done with this subject.

:D

I feel like Barbers toughness has rubbed off a litte on JJ. Not to say he wasn't a tough kid but this year he seems to be a little more reckless and less shy to run over someone rather then around them.
Oh good, a wreckless attitude from a guy who has traditionally had trouble staying healthy.

PS to all I believe they are both in contract yrs so that's a wash.