[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Childs Homework

whomper

My oldest daughter is going into 1st grade in sept. I truly cant believe the amount of mandatory homework they gave her to do over the summer. I understand the theory of working with her and keeping her fresh and have no problem with it. I consider helping her with her schoolwork awesome quality time but dang. Its a giant folder of assignments. I remember when I was a kid summer break meant letting lose and having a ball. Does your kid have a ton of summer homework ?

My oldest daughter is going into 1st grade in sept. I truly cant believe the amount of mandatory homework they gave her to do over the summer. I understand the theory of working with her and keeping her fresh and have no problem with it. I consider helping her with her schoolwork awesome quality time but dang. Its a giant folder of assignments. I remember when I was a kid summer break meant letting lose and having a ball. Does your kid have a ton of summer homework ?

My daughter is going into 1st grade also she didn't get a whole lot of summer homework. But the daily homework in kindergarten was unbelievable, we have all day kindergarten in our school district and then come home do a couple hours of home work...that's a lot of work for a 35 year old a 5 or 6 year old.

I'd throw all of that sh|t into the trash and just have her read books of her own choosing.

EDIT: (with the exception of math stuff--I would make sure that she did her math homework (or at least some sort of mathematical work of your choosing))

Edited by wiegie

My daughter is going into 1st grade also she didn't get a whole lot of summer homework. But the daily homework in kindergarten was unbelievable, we have all day kindergarten in our school district and then come home do a couple hours of home work...that's a lot of work for a 35 year old a 5 or 6 year old.

:D exactly

6th grader and 8th grader have summer reading assignment with book report. Report is actually due 2 weeks after school starts, so they keep trying to procrastinate.

I don't remember any school work from my childhood, either.

RR juniorette never had summer homework in grammar school, but they did have reading contests/challenges. It worked well for her, as she is an English teacher and avid reader.

I'd throw all of that sh|t into the trash and just have her read books of her own choosing.

EDIT: (with the exception of math stuff--I would make sure that she did her math homework (or at least some sort of mathematical work of your choosing))

I agree with you but its mandatory. You're right about the reading. Her K teacher gave us a hugh list of word to practice called "sight" words which is a great concept. They are generic words that are in almost every sentence or words that pop up a lot. The theory is for the kid to recognize the word at "sight" so they can get through a sentence by having those words to memory and sounding out the others. We break down the sight words by sound so she knows how the word is made up . It has really helped her reading.

What kind of work is it whomper? I didn't have any summer work ever.

They gave us 3 books of suggested reading which is great. You have to write a 1 page book report about each book you read. The books are easy reading and fun for the kid but the assignment stuff is nuts. They gave 2 sets of worksheets 1 math 1 reading . each set is about 25 pages. The kicker is the assignment sheet..They want collages of 10 pictures of every letter in the alphabet for starters then various other assignments. Ex write 5 words that start with NU and find a picture of each. (there is about 7 of those) plus a bunch of other stuff. We met up with a few parents of her classmates at the town pool the other day and every parent couldnt believe when they cracked those folders the amount of stuff to do.

Missouri schools! We're Number 37! :D

I'd go with the trashcan routine and just read with her. If they read they will succeed. Wiegie is right-on.

I agree with both of you but its not suggested work its mandatory. I dont want her starting out the 1st grade by not doing the assignments and every other kid doing them. Shes a sensitive kid that would upset her a lot.

Edited by whomper

I have a 4th grader and 1st grader (this year) and we had no summer homework except to stay up on the reading and some of the math skills. I think it depends on the teacher too. When my 4th grader was in 2nd it felt like he had homework every night. I wanted to kill that teacher.

3rd grade was much better although a May science project threw me for a loop. I mean threw us for a loop.

I don't recall school being this hard for me. I'm looking forward to the fall as I always due for football, change of season here in Michigan, Halloween, etc... but I'm not looking forward to homework again. :D

Agreed. My kid is entering 3rd, and no formal homework. But he's been reading a new 200-page book every other day - the kid is voracious. And we've been drilling him on his multiplication tables (up to the 10s) since its a weak area for him. No complaints so far.....

Mandatory homework during the summer??? wow!!

We had a few teachers in our district try to give homework over vacations/breaks and a few parents took up the fight. The school district relented and told teachers they CAN NOT give out mandatory homework only SUGESSTIVE assignments during vacation/breaks. (elementary level of course).

homework over the summer is BS. schools give well more homework now than when I was a kid. no way do I make my kids do homework. In addition, my boys spend a week in CT, a week at Cape Cod, a week in the Smokies, and a week in North Carolina this summer. The experiences they're getting are at least equivalent to any homework a school would give out.