[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

General Draft Strategy Question

In one of my leagues we keep 2 players losing the draft spot where the keeper was drafted. The league allows starting 1 or 2 RBs, has no PPR and no TE.

If you gave up a 3rd round and 13th round draft pick to keep 2 running backs and then drew the first over all pick ... could you resist the urge to draft LT? Without mentioning the specific backs kept they are projected to be in or near the top 10.

12 running backs are off the board and the expectation is that teams with RBs in the fold will be going after the top tier WRs. That means you will have 3 stud RBs in a league that allows only two to be started and will be a lock to a take whatever WR is left in the 2nd round and have a long wait until the 4th for your next pick.

I was trying to think what I would do were I in that position? It would be VERY hard to pass on LT ... but taking LT there is liable to hamstring your team this year.

Do you pass on LT and trade down? If so what do you look for in trade.

I think it is an interesting question. What would you do?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have to draft L.T. then trade him or one of the other top 10 backs on your roster. If you were working solely off the premise that you don't want L.T. at all because of the other 2 kept RBs then it is still in your best interest to draft L.T. His trade value would be far greater than the value you would get from trading down in the draft.

I think you have to draft L.T. then trade him or one of the other top 10 backs on your roster. If you were working solely off the premise that you don't want L.T. at all because of the other 2 kept RBs then it is still in your best interest to draft L.T. His trade value would be far greater than the value you would get from trading down in the draft.

You don't think that you are trading from a position of weakness when other teams know you can't start all your studs?

At 1.04 he could likely draft Chad Johnson ... would he get more than that in a straight up trade?

You don't think that you are trading from a position of weakness when other teams know you can't start all your studs?

At 1.04 he could likely draft Chad Johnson ... would he get more than that in a straight up trade?

I don't think it matters. L.T. is theeee most desirable player in all of fantasy. At the very least, I bet you could get a top WR and one of: PK/QB2/RB3 - that is still better than just one player.

I don't think it matters. L.T. is theeee most desirable player in all of fantasy. At the very least, I bet you could get a top WR and one of: PK/QB2/RB3 - that is still better than just one player.

Perhaps you are right ... it would certainly be very difficult to pass on LT. I just don't like the thought I will have put a stud on the bench with only 3 picks and he'll stay there until somebody in the league agrees to a trade. And until I could do a trade my lineup will suffer for having done it.

You draft LT, end of story. Now stop overthinking things and trying to figure out a scenerio where you wouldn't draft LT. Oh and this belongs in the advice forum. :D

If that's your thinking, and it seems valid to me because I'm in a two keeper league with the same starting requirements, I would trade out of the spot for as much as I could get. You should be able to get a good return trading from the 1.1 This also depends on who the other two r/bs are. Are they worthy starters?

I think you are overlooking the most important part of the equation, keeping LT off of someone elses team. Now that is a winning draft strategy.

:D

Edited by rattsass

Injuries happen. Down years happen. Having 2 top ten RB's is no guarantee they will be top ten this coming year. Then you have the bye weeks to cover. Not even mentioning that an opponent will have Tomlinson if you don't draft him. (Mentioned earlier.)

It is not possible to not draft Tomlinson. Just not possible. Even if you think he will be hurt or have a down season. It is just not possible to pass him up if the opportunity is there.

You end up with a supposed three top ten RB's.... someone else does not.

If you have the chnce to draft LT in the first round, why would you keep two other RBs as your keepers? LT is the best player in football, and more valuable than whoever the other two backs are. Change your keepers to the guy in the 13th, and your next best player at WR or QB (even if they're average players) and then draft LT to go with your other RB keeper. It's not that complicated.

If you have the chnce to draft LT in the first round, why would you keep two other RBs as your keepers? LT is the best player in football, and more valuable than whoever the other two backs are. Change your keepers to the guy in the 13th, and your next best player at WR or QB (even if they're average players) and then draft LT to go with your other RB keeper. It's not that complicated.

Keepers are declared BEFORE draft position is established. When the owner declared his keepers he could very well have ended up with the last pick. It is one of the nuiances of this league.

I was trying to think what I would do were I in that position? It would be VERY hard to pass on LT ... but taking LT there is liable to hamstring your team this year.

Do you pass on LT and trade down? If so what do you look for in trade.

I think it is an interesting question. What would you do?

No, having LT on any team regardless of makeup is not 'hamstringing' your team, at least for this year barring injury.

If the other 2 backs are that good, you can trade one for that stud WR you're lacking.

Both of these have already been said in one way or another but in a nutshell:

- There's nothing you can do to justify the loss in value you will face by not taking LT

- There's nothing you can do to justify the gain in value you will be affording another team by your not taking LT

Both of these have already been said in one way or another but in a nutshell:

- There's nothing you can do to justify the loss in value you will face by not taking LT

- There's nothing you can do to justify the gain in value you will be affording another team by your not taking LT

I hear what you are saying .... but drafting players defensively at the expense of your own team is not a very good strategy; i.e. drafting a player you don't need to prevent another owner from getting him is not a very sound strategy.

Now quite clearly when you draft LT he becomes a starter for you and one of the other backs becomes "expendable". So your team didn't need another RB but the lure of getting another stud is too much. I remember several years ago when the Huddle's team drafted two QBs in the top 4 because they couldn't pass on the value the 2nd QB was representing. They then spent most of the season attempting to trade away one of those QBs and lost a few too many games before they were able to make a trade.