[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where NOT to live...

alexgaddis

The county where my family lives in Kentucky is dry, so they just drive to the next coounty and spend their money.

The county with the Jack Daniels distillery in Tennessee is dry as well. They have to get a special permit to sell any whiskey to consumers at the distillery.

Gooch isn't worried about the city losing businesses or tax revenues if alcohol sales are banned. Normal economic growth and God will make up any difference if residents dump the bottle, he said.

"We believe that God will honor and bless our city," Gooch said.

You can't argue with logic like that. :D

Gooch isn't worried about the city losing businesses or tax revenues if alcohol sales are banned. Normal economic growth and God will make up any difference if residents dump the bottle, he said.

"We believe that God will honor and bless our city," Gooch said.

You can't argue with logic like that. :D

So.. they're gonna revoke tax-exempt status for churches? :D

I live in a dry county, and I wish that it would go wet. I'm not a drinker so it really isn't so much about how it would help me, but how it would help the county. When I think of all the tax dollars that residence of my county spend in neighboring counties buying booze, it really pisses me off. With the additional tax revenue generated by sales of the booze. Add on top of that all of the drunk driving accidents that are caused because people are driving to and from the liquor stores impaired, and it just doesn't make sense.

Not to make it political or anything but how many of these people in favor of restrictions and bannings are from the "party of small gubment"? :D

Probably most of them, as most of the people that are for dry counties are fundamentalist Christians.

Isn't Ocean City, NJ in a dry county? I remember going there with a budy and his family when i was 18. We just went across a bridge to a bar and got served. Used to be here in Jax you couldn't buy booze on Sundays. They wisened up and now you can after noon or something.

most of the people that are for dry counties are fundamentalist Christians.

and that one really never made much sense to me. i mean, this is a religion whose primary sacrament consists of drinking wine. jesus' first miracle (in john) was to turn water into wine so that the party wouldn't die. not sure where people get the idea that a good christian should be trying to make wine illegal. :D

and that one really never made much sense to me. i mean, this is a religion whose primary sacrament consists of drinking wine. jesus' first miracle (in john) was to turn water into wine so that the party wouldn't die. not sure where people get the idea that a good christian should be trying to make wine illegal. :D

That's because religious fundamentalists are morons.

When I think of all the tax dollars that residence of my county spend in neighboring counties buying booze, it really pisses me off. With the additional tax revenue generated by sales of the booze.

It brings a tear to my eye hearing Perch speak in favor of taxation. :sniff:

Edited by yo mama

Isn't Ocean City, NJ in a dry county? I remember going there with a budy and his family when i was 18. We just went across a bridge to a bar and got served. Used to be here in Jax you couldn't buy booze on Sundays. They wisened up and now you can after noon or something.

OC NJ isnt a county but it is a DRY CITY...but there are big Liquor Stores at the base of both bridges that you take to get into OC

The county where my family lives in Kentucky is dry, so they just drive to the next coounty and spend their money.

It was years ago that I stopped in a little mom and pop grocery store in Kent. The owners were pretty upset that they got no revenue for liquor when some of the county taxes went to the litter caused by beer cans and bottles sold in the next county. I think the county I was in at the time was Bath County

How many counties in Texas are still dry, and what is their total square miles?

I'll bet it's bigger than northern Alabama.

This is probably true but totally bizarre. Can someone pls explain? We're talking TX here. freakin TEXAS - I would think the most booze-guzzling champs of all states. whatfo??