[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

On the union theme

Big Country

Obviously some people feel unions are useless and/or evil.

Others feel they are necessary.

My question is, for those that feel they are useless/unnecessary/etc., are there any industries or professions where you feel the unions arewarranted and/or needed, or where they unions should be but currently aren't?

On the flip side, for those that feel they are necessary, are there any industries or professions that are currently unionized that you feel do not need it?

unions were once needed, now they are not. imo. they are living in the past. everyone bashes on the ceo's of companies. those unions leaders care about one thing too, the dues. they dont care about 'the people'.

competition is everywhere, and most companies need to cut costs these days. sorry folks, but running a company is about the bottomline. the ceo answers to the shareholders. it may suck, but thats how it is.

unions were once needed, now they are not. imo. they are living in the past. everyone bashes on the ceo's of companies. those unions leaders care about one thing too, the dues. they dont care about 'the people'.

competition is everywhere, and most companies need to cut costs these days. sorry folks, but running a company is about the bottomline. the ceo answers to the shareholders. it may suck, but thats how it is.

Unions ARE the people! Don't get hung up on the Hoffa types.

Any business that is poorly run by overpaid executives who give themselves bonuses when they make stupid decisions, and then decide to cut back spending by taking it from the massive amounts of laborers, requires a union. Without a doubt.

Auto manufacturers and Airline workers fit into this category for sure.

I'd say people who work for insurance companies should also unionize. That industry is terrible.

I actually like unions like the millwrights, plumbers & pipefitters, and electricians. They make sure their membership are competent tradesmen.

The auto industry, coal industry, teamsters and such are mostly bullies that should go jump in the lake. The bottom line is, you have a choice. If you don't like working where you are working, making what you are making, then you can leave. Unions were necessary once upon a time because there was nothing protecting the safety of workers. Now we've gone overboard with OSHA.

As for the "greedy CEO" class-warfare rants, if you could do what they do, then you deserve mucho dinero. Millions of people can put on a radiator hose in 18 seconds. Only a few hundred, tops, could run a company like Coke, Ford, whatever.

I actually like unions like the millwrights, plumbers & pipefitters, and electricians. They make sure their membership are competent tradesmen.

The auto industry, coal industry, teamsters and such are mostly bullies that should go jump in the lake. The bottom line is, you have a choice. If you don't like working where you are working, making what you are making, then you can leave. Unions were necessary once upon a time because there was nothing protecting the safety of workers. Now we've gone overboard with OSHA.

As for the "greedy CEO" class-warfare rants, if you could do what they do, then you deserve mucho dinero. Millions of people can put on a radiator hose in 18 seconds. Only a few hundred, tops, could run a company like Coke, Ford, whatever.

he speketh the truth... well except the ceo part... most are greedy bastards...

I worked at UPS for 4 years and saw how some union reps were more interested in power lunches with management than they were with helping the rank and file.

I also know that management would've put the screws to every person who delivered for them due to the fact that their 'pursuit of the bottom line' meant they would have canned employees who were hurt working for them on the job if they could have.

I am a union person and at least the employers have to go thru 4-5 steps before they can just walk up an can your ass for a whim of a reason. Better pay is a pro (who doesn't want to make good money?) Unions ARE losing their grip on America but we still need them. Safety is a BIG part of my job and we don't have to do a job if we feel there is dangers involved.. One shortcut could cost you your life. You take a step back and determine the proper way to finish the job.

This is a crock of poo. At the C level, incompetence pays almost as well as competence.

This is a crock of poo. At the C level, incompetence pays almost as well as competence.

From the bottom up to middle management, this statement is correct. The same could almost be said about the army up to the rank of major (caveat - I've never spent a second in uniform, but gathered this info from Dad, Father-in-law, and Grandfathers). Once you move beyond these levels the going gets tougher, and incompetence gets you canned quick. Why do you think these people have zero job security?

From the bottom up to middle management, this statement is correct. The same could almost be said about the army up to the rank of major (caveat - I've never spent a second in uniform, but gathered this info from Dad, Father-in-law, and Grandfathers). Once you move beyond these levels the going gets tougher, and incompetence gets you canned quick. Why do you think these people have zero job security?

Except if your last name is Ford right?

Oh please - ever heard of golden parachutes? It's everyone else that has no job security, not them. There's a lot of security in knowing that if you get canned, you're getting canned clutching $3m+. Do you want me to name some examples?

Oh please - ever heard of golden parachutes? It's everyone else that has no job security, not them. There's a lot of security in knowing that if you get canned, you're getting canned clutching $3m+. Do you want me to name some examples?

There are exceptions to every rule Ursa. You're starting to sound like foreskins... :D

It's not just the CEO's, but the CFO, controller, COO, etc. Not all of those folks get golden parachutes, and the vast majority don't need them, because they EARN THEIR MONEY! Many times the vast majority of these folks compensation is in stock options, so they have a vested interest in the value of the company. Dude, I never pictured you for a guy who operates on envy. I'm all corn-fused... :D

Oh, and Bill Ford got tossed out. It took too long, but he was tossed out, appropriately so, IMO.

There are exceptions to every rule Ursa. You're starting to sound like foreskins... :D

It's not just the CEO's, but the CFO, controller, COO, etc. Not all of those folks get golden parachutes, and the vast majority don't need them, because they EARN THEIR MONEY! Many times the vast majority of these folks compensation is in stock options, so they have a vested interest in the value of the company. Dude, I never pictured you for a guy who operates on envy. I'm all corn-fused... :D

Oh, and Bill Ford got tossed out. It took too long, but he was tossed out, appropriately so, IMO.

I don't operate on envy, I just detest greed. I have a HUGH problem with the ever increasing gap between average company wage and CEO wage, which has now reached an all-time high. I don't believe in the redistribution of wealth, a nutty creed if ever there was one. However, I also don't believe in the concentration of wealth into too few hands.

[mr cliche]A rising tide floats all boats.[/mr cliche]

I didn't know Bill Ford was tossed out. My bad.

I can tell you that the quality of work performed by non-union plumbers, pipefitters, and electricians is every bit as good if not better than their union counter-parts. If it wasn't, they wouldn't have their job. In addition to the quality being just as good, production is almost always better, because they are not always on break, and it doesn't take three people to operate a welding machine.

If you are going at the safety angle, then you can forget that to. The construction industry and it's clients have evolved. Now often times a companies experience modifier is as important if not more important than their price, at least at the commercial level. Companies can not afford to stay in business if they start having habitual "accidents", because their premiums will go up (which will affect their price) as well as their experience modifier going up (which will affect how clients view the company). Add to that that OSHA can now put the owner or CEO of repeat offenders in jail instead of just fining them, and the industry is really starting to clean up it's act. In addition to OSHA being able to cite the trade contractor who violated a regulation, they can also cite the General contractor as well, even if the general contractor's people are in compliance. This has cause most general contractors to be much more selective in choosing who they work with thus putting the trade contractors with bad safety records out of business. It is also causing more general contractors to hire more safety personnel to monitor the safety of their job sites.