[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trent Green

Savage Beatings

I admire Trent Green's spirit of competitiveness, but he's already been paid, why wait until your brains are scrambled eggs before getting out of the game?

What do you think is driving him to keep coming back and risking pretty much everything? :D

I don't know but he needs to retire. Mostly for him so he can actually enjoy life after football but also for football because how ugly will it be when he gets his third one? How many trips strapped to a stretcher in an ambulance does a guy need? If I was a family member, I would be begging him to hang it up.

... If I was a family member, I would be begging him to hang it up.

+1

Hate to say it but the ones VERY close to him should have an intervention of sorts... "we will not stand by you if you choose to go back to football. We will not watch you kill yourself."

In a way, competing is a drug to a lot of guys which makes the sound of an "intervention" much less fantastic. The money is obviously good too but the competitive nature of some guys blurs their judgment and sense of self-preservation.

I look forward to watching a depressing HBO Sports documentary on him in 10 years.

You are looking forward to that? Nice guy.

Green should hang it up, for himself and moreso for his family.

Can the league bar a player from playing if he is going against medical advice?

Can the league bar a player from playing if he is going against medical advice?

This year, a rule was put in place that if a concussion occurs, the player must pass medical clearence before he can get on the field again.

Um, yeah, I'm sure that nobody wanted a QB in his mid-30's who is less than two years removed from back-to-back-to-back 4,000-yd seasons because you say so. :D

Swerski there were teams that inquired about him yes, but I highly doubt many if ANY were inquiring about him for the starters role. He wanted to go to MIA because of Cameron and he'd be the starter by default. Trent Green really hasn't done squat outside of the Vermeil system except one good year in WASH.

Hang em up Trent, we all knew it before the year, the writing is on the wall.

He's a good guy ... a good family man and good for the community.

IMO, there's a chance he's going to stick it out this season, collecting checks along the way, and force MIA to either pay him a $3.5MM roster bonus this coming offseason or to waive him ... at which point he'll sign with the Chiefs and retire. ...unless they pay him and then he'll be a back up in MIA for one season, tutoring the young guys (Lemon and Beck) for a season...

Swerski there were teams that inquired about him yes, but I highly doubt many if ANY were inquiring about him for the starters role.

Houston and Jacksonville weren't looking for a new starting QB this past summer? You don't think that Childress would've gladly started Green over Tarvaris Jackson? I'd be really surprised if none of those teams gave Carl Peterson a call.

Trent Green really hasn't done squat outside of the Vermeil system except one good year in WASH.

I think that you're really selling him short. He was pretty good in KC from '02-'05 (especially considering his wideout talent) and a torn ACL in the '99 pre-season (in Martz's system, not Vermeil's) arguably cost him the three MVPs and the huge contract that Warner got.

But I completely agree that he needs to hang up his cleats. He can still play, but the prospect of suffering a third concussion in one year is just too dangerous.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Houston and Jacksonville weren't looking for a new starting QB this past summer? You don't think that Childress would've gladly started Green over Tarvaris Jackson? I'd be really surprised if none of those teams gave Carl Peterson a call.

I think that you're really selling him short. He was pretty good in KC from '02-'05 (especially considering his wideout talent) and a torn ACL in the '99 pre-season (in Martz's system, not Vermeil's) arguably cost him the three MVPs and the huge contract that Warner got.

But I completely agree that he needs to hang up his cleats. He can still play, but the prospect of suffering a third concussion in one year is just too dangerous.

As to the first part I seriously doubt either of those teams were real interested honestly. Jacksonville already knew who the starter was in Garrard, they were playing with Leftwich the whole time. No way is Houston looking to replace their franchise QB (whether he was any good or not is irrelevant to Green) for a old QB on a major decline coming off a serious concussion. I just don't think so.

I think he was serviceable, but not great, sure he put up some outstanding numbers, and especially considering the talent, but it was because of the system. It's not like we're talking about a prolific passer here.

+1

Hate to say it but the ones VERY close to him should have an intervention of sorts... "we will not stand by you if you choose to go back to football. We will not watch you kill yourself."

In a way, competing is a drug to a lot of guys which makes the sound of an "intervention" much less fantastic. The money is obviously good too but the competitive nature of some guys blurs their judgment and sense of self-preservation.

:D

Great. Well, maybe we can have being an athlete declared a disease.

:D

Great. Well, maybe we can have being an athlete declared a disease.

:D Yeah, that's what I said.

Guys have hung up their cleats for much less than what Green has been through in the past year. He wants to compete even to the detriment of himself and those that care or rely on him. If that's not an addiction, then I don't know what is.

Green even pondering to ever take the field again is insane. Anyone who would contribute or allow him to take the field again is right there with him.

As to the first part I seriously doubt either of those teams were real interested honestly. Jacksonville already knew who the starter was in Garrard, they were playing with Leftwich the whole time. No way is Houston looking to replace their franchise QB (whether he was any good or not is irrelevant to Green) for a old QB on a major decline coming off a serious concussion. I just don't think so.

David Garrard isn't that good and JAX has the running game and defense to win right now. Same goes for Minnesota, except that their QB situation is even more desperate because Tarvaris Jackson f'n sucks.

I can understand why Green picked Miami (Cameron, Chambers, Brown, etc.), but I would say that he definitely had a couple of other legitimate options to sign as a starter. Jesus, Brad Johnson took over as the starter in MIN back in '05... when he was the same age and coming off of an injury.

I think he was serviceable, but not great, sure he put up some outstanding numbers, and especially considering the talent, but it was because of the system. It's not like we're talking about a prolific passer here.

That's right, we're talking about an above-average veteran QB with playoff experience who can play within a system and not make a ton of mistakes. There's a market for guys like that in the NFL, even when they're old, coming off of a major injury, and not in the team's long-term plans. Put Green on the Vikings and they're a legitimate playoff team.

and you're joking when you're calling him in his mid 30's.

LOL, he was 36 when he was a free agent this summer. What's that supposed to be, his mid 40's?

Edited by Bill Swerski