[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Bush: Biggest Bust in NFL History?

rajncajn

BB, I didn't know you blogged. Gotta love some of the comments. :D

Reggie Bush: Biggest Bust in NFL History?

by Dyson Kincaid

As of right now, Reggie Bush is well on his way to being the biggest over hyped flop ever in professional football.

I use the words "as of right now" because running backs normally come into their own in the second or third season.

But right now… Reggie Bush is a colossal bust.

After watching Reggie Bush yesterday with his 9 attempts for 32 yards, I came to realize how much of a disappointment he is.

Now some might say that he was hurt yesterday, and couldn’t perform up to his ability. In response to that, he played better yesterday than he had the previous two games when he was “healthy”.

The comparisons to Gale Sayers and Marshall Faulk were overwhelming; I honestly thought the media was going to induct Reggie into the Hall of Fame before he got drafted.

Even though the Saints won yesterday, wouldn’t things be a lot easier if someone actually played up their potential?

Let me say this, when Reggie Bush entered the NFL, he was expected to be a future 1000 yard rusher, and a possible 1000 yard receiver. What seemed possible before he was drafted is now almost laughable. Reggie is having a hard time getting 100 yards total offense and has had one 100 yard rushing game since being drafted and none this season. His longest run for his career is 22 yards.

A lot of that has to do with Reggie refusal, and yes I said refusal to follow his block and use his eyes instead of hightailing it to the sidelines. It’s almost as if he is running scared. NFL defenses are built on speed, going horizontal then cutting up sidelines will not work anymore.

Many would think that without Deuce this year, that Reggie’s numbers would have gotten better…They haven’t…With Deuce having over 1000 yards and getting most of the carries, we all thought that it maybe Reggie’s year to shine. At this rate Reggie will have a hard time getting 700 yards rushing, and that’s pushing it.

A lot of people have argued that Reggie is not that type of running back who can give you 20 carries, that he is more of a third down running back. I have argued back saying that if I’m the Saints I’ve guaranteed a man 26 million dollars to be nothing more than a glorified Kevin Faulk? And that’s no offense to Kevin Faulk, who is a great third down back, but I don’t believe that a third down back is what Reggie was drafted to be.

The Saints have only profited from Reggie economically. He sells spamshirts, he does endorsements, and he has brought in fans old and new to New Orleans. People come from all around to watch him do nothing.

Reggie Bush is not even the best, second best, or even third best running back in his 2006 draft. Can we seriously put Reggie in front of a Laurence Maroney, Joseph Addai, or Maurice Jones-Drew? I don’t think so.

But then again maybe I’m being a little harsh on Reggie, after all it’s only his second year. But when it comes to running backs, it’s the second and third year where the quote “what you see is what you get” begins to surface.

Edited by rajncajn

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dyson's Bio

I'm known for being a true sports fan and being blunt honest and never afraid to give my opinion on happenings in the sports world. I'm also an out of the box thinker, I see things things most people wouldn't even dream of thinking.

I am always trying to get better, and I don't mind constructive criticism, I always have the attitude of there i said it, now prove me wrong.

:D

Can't be Grits, he didn't mention Michael Vick even once.

I still think he'll come around and is for whatever reason struggling to transform his game and potential over to the NFL level.

They'll probably adjust blocking around his strength or get another power back and use Reggie as they did last year. He's more of a WR than a RB.

First we need to separate the NFL from fantasy football. The question is regarding the NFL, so I'll address that. My opinion is he has been a disappointment from a production standpoint but it is only his second year. He has shown flashes of great playmaking skills and I think he can continue to develop that and could be an elite back in a year or three. Of course so much depends on his o-line and the rest of the offense, but I think the raw tools are there.

It is a mistake to correlate media hype with a player's expected output on the field. Guys like Adrian Peterson who explode out of the gate are still rare. Most elite backs took a few years to get there.

To label him the biggest bust ever is way too premature and I think he would have to pull a Cedric Benson for a few years before he even approached the collosal bustdom of a Ryan Leaf or Eli Manning. :D

From a fantasy perspective, he is right about where he was projected in August.

Blair Thomas

Curtis Enis

Ki-Jana Carter

Rashaan Salaam

Lawrence Phillips

Brent Fullwood

Tammy Vardell

Alonzo Highsmith

All worse in the hype-to-bust category, and that's just in the RB column.

Very true. Bush still excels as a pass-catcher, while the aforementioned guys didn't excel at anything.

Bush is not a bust, he was just way over rated coming into the league. He will be an excellent 3rd down back, kick and punt returner. He was drafted about a half a round too high for what his real value was, but he will continue to contribute in the NFL, though he will never live up to his draft status or the hype surrounding his entrance into the league. He is the Eli Manning of running backs.

Bush is not a bust, he was just way over rated coming into the league. He will be an excellent 3rd down back, kick and punt returner. He was drafted about a half a round too high for what his real value was, but he will continue to contribute in the NFL, though he will never live up to his draft status or the hype surrounding his entrance into the league. He is the Eli Manning of running backs.

While I don't think he'll ever be what he was hyped to be I do think he's much more valuable than just a 3rd down back & when all is said & done will earn the big contract & high draft position. The only thing I can never see him doing really well is running between the tackles.

Part of the problem with Bush is that he really hasn't done crap in the NFL, yet he's on TV every five minutes.

It's Michael Vick syndrome. "Educated" football people tell us all who is supposed to be over-the-top great, which convinces sponsors to spend hugh $$$ on endorsements. Then when these uber-stars crap out or end up being ordinary, the "educated" ones have their credibility at stake while the sponsors have mammoth $$$ sunk into these turds, so they have to keep pimping them relentlessly, hoping mightily that just maybe one year they'll perform at an even above-average level.

It's also part of why Vick is so abused at this board, and why Bush will be too - you get a few psychophants who buy into the hype despite diminished results and are convinced that they & the "educated" ones are so right while stats show that they in fact are clueless, and the rest of the board gets tired of players with seriously busted hype being pimped so mercilessly & told how stupid we are by these few despite all the evidence showing them to be so wrong.

As a Rams fan, I must say that Lawrence Phillips HAS to be a bigger bust. GIve the kid a couple of years, I think he'll be a very very consistent back. You just can NOT be blessed with that may God given talents and not be able to be coached into a decent back.