[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tipping question

Hugh 0ne

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in the huddle since 2003. There haven't been a whole lot of "good republicans" to get behind in American politics during that time.

Of course, the irony is that one can see this policy as rather left leaning in terms of distribution of wealth. Assuming that there's a finite amount of money to spend on labor (and there certainly is barring an increase in sales). I have chosen to spend more of that on the lowest rungs at the expense of the highest ones.

:D you're right, it's very "democratic" to skim a couple points off of your best earners into your own pocket and pretend it's for betterment of the common man.

:D you're right, it's very "democratic" to skim a couple points off of your best earners into your own pocket and pretend it's for betterment of the common man.

:D Actually, between that comment and perch's, I'm being painted as a regular Tony Soprano.

the fact that this thread has reached 7 pages is proof that det know's he's not happy with his current arrangement so he has the need to explain it away over and over again until he convinces himself otherwise.

tips are meant to be designated for and given to the person providing the direct service. pulling credit card fees out of the tips is just cheesy. it would be better to figure out the total cost impact of these fees and lower the hourly wage slightly so employees could keep all their tips. that is one way to manage the costs and not feel like you are nickel and diming your hired help.

the fact that this thread has reached 7 pages is proof that det know's he's not happy with his current arrangement so he has the need to explain it away over and over again until he convinces himself otherwise.

tips are meant to be designated for and given to the person providing the direct service. pulling credit card fees out of the tips is just cheesy. it would be better to figure out the total cost impact of these fees and lower the hourly wage slightly so employees could keep all their tips. that is one way to manage the costs and not feel like you are nickel and diming your hired help.

So this post exactly points out the random nature of all your complaints. So, if I could find an exact and reciprocal manner in which to recoup these costs from the very same people, everything would be fine? I should avoid this practice because a bunch of strangers on an internet website thinks this is cheesy. Not seems cheesy, mind you, but is cheesy. Glad to know. Nothing like forming an absolute opinion about something you know nothing about.

This thread has lasted this long because I'm not inclined to have people who know nothing about my business or relationship to my employees tell me that I'm screwing them. This is typically not something that one "agrees to disagree". The second those who started this argument give in on that point and say that they simply do not know enough about my particular affairs to pass judgment on the manner in which I conduct my own business, this argument is over.

I'm not inclined to have people who know nothing about my business or relationship to my employees tell me that I'm screwing them.

we are talking about waiters and tips, not piloting the space shuttle.

you have chosen to take a fee charged to your business for using credit cards out of the tips given to your employees. that is cheesy.

in your first post you almost seemed sad that some of your employees were getting big tips ...

On one hand, it creates a situation where a young, transitional work force can make unreal amounts of money. For instance, I had a waiter take care of one party of 25 (with support from a back waiter) on Thursday night and walk with $450. He worked hard but that's some nice scratch for a non-professional working 6 hours.

why do you hate the common man?

So this post exactly points out the random nature of all your complaints. So, if I could find an exact and reciprocal manner in which to recoup these costs from the very same people, everything would be fine? I should avoid this practice because a bunch of strangers on an internet website thinks this is cheesy. Not seems cheesy, mind you, but is cheesy. Glad to know. Nothing like forming an absolute opinion about something you know nothing about.

It seems to me you've been trying to define (and justify; and defend) something you choose to do with your employees as something other than what it actually is.

That said, I've worked for people who have done a lot worse things to their staff, and their tips.

Look guys, as long as the servers making bank and the customers are happy, who gives two shlts about the buck or two that Det charges for the cc tax. I bet the servers dont even notice the tiny fee. Det is a small business owner and it sounds like he does his best to provide a good experience to his customers and a lucrative and chill place for his employees to work. Props to you Det for doing what you do. I'm sure yer fair. If I ever move to NC could I pick up a shift or two? :D

My informal poll resulted in 6 different servers from 6 different restaurants not ever hearing of this.

One from another restaurant didn't get charged but had heard of it happening at a different restaurant (I know a few people there and will ask)

Who said 2% was a small anything of anything? Looking at expenses that way is a quick trip to bankruptcy.

The only difference between this cost and every other one is that it seems to create an illogical knee jerk reaction.

I mentioned that I start my dishwashers at about 35% higher than minimum wage. Why should I do that? I mean, if there was ever a job that has "minimum wage" written all over that, it's washing dishes.

uh, no it's not

compensating wage differentials

washing dishes sucks to high heaven so in order to get someone to do a decent job, you have to compensate more than they could earn if they worked doing some other less crappy job

uh, no it's not

compensating wage differentials

washing dishes sucks to high heaven so in order to get someone to do a decent job, you have to compensate more than they could earn if they worked doing some other less crappy job

Well, truth be told, I pay them more than average so I never have to worry about finding dishwashers. In the unlikely event that one leaves, one of the others brings a friend in because they'd rather make an extra buck an hour for me than somewhere else. It makes filling jobs easier. To some degree, it is starting to "backfire". Since nobody moves on, I'm faced with a situation where I can't promote from within ('cause nobody higher up is moving on either) and yet, obviously should reward them for sticking around with raises. Thus, I am paying more for the "same" work.

Of course, I used quotes because it has created an enviable situation where everyone knows their jobs really well and the place run like a machine right now. We've achieved that lovely state where nobody is working their ass off but just plugging along at a steady efficient rate. As I am working on restaurant #2, it is nice to see the place just chugging along in my absence.

Turns out, despite my cc policy, I rarely have problems losing waiters and never have problems replacing them. Nearly all of them have been referrals from current employees.

So, without pushing my labor budget any higher than it should be, I've been able to create a situation where my restaurant is an attractive option for all types of workers. So forgive me if I fail to see the error in my ways.

Edited by detlef

My business partner said that you weren't supposed to tip on the alchohol. I've never heard of this. I've also never seen food and booze split on the check. What's the proper tipping amount here?

So... does THAT answer your question? :D

:wacko::D

For those of you concerned about the poor waiter actually getting his whole $10.00 on a $10.00 tip I suggest the following options:

1. Carry a ten dollar bill or a bunch of singles and tip in cash. How hard is it? I assume that you all have pockets, wallets, man purses, etc.

2. If you insist on the convenience of a credit card and you want the waiter to receive $10.00, tip $10.40 and stop being a cheap basturd.

3. Puddy.

Wow I can't believe tthis thread is still going...........But in the interest of keeping it going this 2% thing is not an industry standard and I for one would not want to be a trailblazer for this as it is extremely petty. :D Again Det, sounds like it works for you and I'm glad, but my opinion is it's rediculous.

Since there has been so many analogies in this thread I think I'll add another........If you have to have your parking lot plowed after a snow, should you break the cost of that down per parking spot and make your employees (and guests) pay their share provided they parked in one of the spots :D

"Sir there's going to be an additional $3.75 added to your bill for the snow removal on the three parking spots your party is occupying, thanks for joining us at Itemized Steak & Chops."

I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's lipolymphohemangiomas hemihypertrophyed up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government lipolymphohemangiomas hemihypertrophys in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullpeaches by the bucket I got two words for that: learn to lipolymphohemangiomas hemihypertrophyin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big lipolymphohemangiomas hemihypertrophyin' surprise.