[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Please tell me I'm missing something

Hugh 0ne

Giants have the ball, and can run out the clock and kick a 20 yard field goal to win the game, as they are down 16-14. Instead, Coughlin elects to run plays, and scores a TD. They kick the XP, and are now up 21-16, but there's over a minute left on the clock. If the Bears score a TD, they Giants lose. Is it me, or is that the absolute worst coaching possible in that scenario? Why in the hell would you give the other team the ball back and an opportunity to win the game when you have it all sewn up if you just take a knee twice and then kick a 20 yard field goal?

Am I missing something? :D

Oh, and how 'bout those Vikings. :D

The Colts were trying to do that in San Diego and it cost them the game. However it worked the following week against KC. I think sometimes you get in trouble worrying too much about the clock. Sometimes you just need to score when the opportunities there, because there's no guarantee you'll get the field goal or you could turn the ball over on the next snap. I can see doing it both ways.

However, the poorness of that decision pales in comparison to the one Gibbs made.

I disagree 100%.

Gibbs just flat out didn't know the rule...pathetic for a HC to not know the rules, but it was decision based on not knowing the rule.

Coughlin gets no reprieve...his decision was based on pure stupidity, for which there is no excuse.

As a Giants fan, I thought this was absolutely the RIGHT decision. You have 1:30 left on the clock. You figure 3 running plays to punch it in. You have a timeout left to stop the clock in case you need to kick for the win. I would much rather them run it in than rely on the kicker. The D was occasionally giving up big plays but overall keeping the Bears in check. Taking a knee and kicking is not playing to win, it's playing not to lose. Taking the TD and relying on you D to do its job is playing to win. Coughlin makes some bad decisions but that wasn't one of them.

Giants have the ball, and can run out the clock and kick a 20 yard field goal to win the game, as they are down 16-14. Instead, Coughlin elects to run plays, and scores a TD. They kick the XP, and are now up 21-16, but there's over a minute left on the clock. If the Bears score a TD, they Giants lose. Is it me, or is that the absolute worst coaching possible in that scenario? Why in the hell would you give the other team the ball back and an opportunity to win the game when you have it all sewn up if you just take a knee twice and then kick a 20 yard field goal?

Am I missing something? :D

Oh, and how 'bout those Vikings. :D

It's bad coaching, I couldn't believe what I was watching.

It's guys like you that got shotty fired.

It's guys like you that say its a good call now but had they lost (it was pretty clear the Bears let them score) in that lat minute that you'd have been in here complaining the other way.

And see if you knew anything about the Chiefs you wouldn't have made such a stupid statement. Marty was a fantastic coach, but he worn out his welcome in KC, and he lost the team after he slept with a players wife. When the team doesn't respect you any longer then you have to go.

It's guys like you that say its a good call now but had they lost (it was pretty clear the Bears let them score) in that lat minute that you'd have been in here complaining the other way.

And see if you knew anything about the Chiefs you wouldn't have made such a stupid statement. Marty was a fantastic coach, but he worn out his welcome in KC, and he lost the team after he slept with a players wife. When the team doesn't respect you any longer then you have to go.

You're right, I hadn't heard anything about Marty sleeping with a player's wife and don't know an awful lot about KC.

As I was watching the Giants game though, I heard the announcer spouting the same drivel as HughOne and you. It got the same reaction from me at that time. Play to win don't play to not lose. Like I said, I'm pissed at Coughlin for a lot of things but this is not one of them.

Whoa...say what?!?!?!

Ol' Marty was bangin' a player's wife?

That was the rumor, nobody denied or confirmed it, but there was a lockroom altercation. It was somethign that was actually kept internal for the most part.

I dunno here. Tynes is really hard to trust... The coaches did a good job of calling plays that kept the Bears honest, and the O-line did a good job of moving the line, especially with Ward out at that point. Seemed to me the coaches wanted to keep the ball on the ground and away from Dr. pick.

Bottom line , they won the game and Coughlin's decision looks good today; Now if they lose this game, he would be getting lambasted.

As a Giants fan, I thought this was absolutely the RIGHT decision. You have 1:30 left on the clock. You figure 3 running plays to punch it in. You have a timeout left to stop the clock in case you need to kick for the win. I would much rather them run it in than rely on the kicker. The D was occasionally giving up big plays but overall keeping the Bears in check. Taking a knee and kicking is not playing to win, it's playing not to lose. Taking the TD and relying on you D to do its job is playing to win. Coughlin makes some bad decisions but that wasn't one of them.

I'm not a giants fan but +1

agree...thanks for organizing my thoughts. plus, the weather was against them too, right?

it almost looked like da Bears let them score, just to get the ball back.....

it's either all of the above or Coughlin was just running up the score.... :D