[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

kyle orton named CHI bears starter

whitem0nkey

Doesn't he sound like a fish place? :DWhat's the name of the fish joint that sounds like a Chicago Bears starting QB? :D

Fryin Greaseys ?

Edited by whomper

signed Berrian owner

well his value went down when rex went down. i think orton will be better than brian for the berrian value.

i think orton will not be playing the same role as he did in 2005. a game manager, the bears need to find out what they have in orton, and I think he will have a few deep passes to BB. now will he connect who knows, but he will have the opportunity.

Makes sense to me. They already know what they have in Griese and he's not a long-term option for them anyway. Why not see if the kid has improved since '05.

Hell yeah! I was pissed that Lovie didn't put Orton in last Thursday. I know he was inactive. Griese is gone next year. Let the kid take a shot, before we fire his ass.

Griese is gone next year? :D

I don't know what his contract is worth, but Griese has proved to be pretty worthless. He can't throw long, is vulnerable due to mobility, and he was a stop gap at best. Face it, Rex has the tools (put Griese's head on Rex's shoulders, and we'd have a decent QB), and we have to find out if Orton is serviceable. A FA QB should be in the mix, or we re-start, draft a QB and wait 3 years. NAH...............I say kick Griese to the curb, maybe look at a FA QB, or draft. We need soooo much help in sooo many positions it's tough to predict.

With this news will we see any WR or TE retain value for next week's matchup? With LJ Smith out I picked up Desmond Clark. Not looking like such a shrewd move suddenly.

Clark was a Rexy fave. Griese liked Olsen. W/ Orton....who knows. At the end of 2005, Chi TE's (Clark) started to make an impact. In 2006 I speculated that and did well w/ Clark. In 2007 Clark continued to do well under Rex. But now w/ playoffs not a possibility, there will be a lot of experimenting. Look for a lot of Wolfe, Olsen, Bradley, even Rashied Davis. Nothing to lose....a lot to gain.

Yeah, they will draft a QB and resign Grossman to a two year deal probably. Griese will be the odd man out.

I have been waiting for Orton to be put in the starting lineup for several weeks now. I knew this season was over week two. Orton hopefully will do some nice things against Minnesota. I love the kid and Lovie has raved about how he has helped them out a lot in practice and has been a true team player.

If there tanking I could care less being a bears fan but to be honest Griese is horrible I didn't think I would say this but he makes Grossman look pretty solid, I used to close my eyes when Rex through at the start of this year Griese came in and it was easier just not to see the action at all as it would take a week for one of his throws to get to a WR.

The way I see it Orton can't be any worse and if he is worse than Griese then so be it but this is where you need to find out what you have he could play well noone knows he was a rookie when he last played and that was about 2 years ago now some QBs haven't even started an NFL game by this point of there career and they are drafted much higher with alot more expectations than anyone had for him.

He by all reports has plenty of arm strength so I don't know if it will be such a huge blow to Berrian it could be a blessing in disguise, As of right now I think Grossman aerned himself another short term contract Griese earned himself a ticket out f here now it's time to see what Orton has ahead of him.

well his value went down when rex went down. i think orton will be better than brian for the berrian value.

i think orton will not be playing the same role as he did in 2005. a game manager, the bears need to find out what they have in orton, and I think he will have a few deep passes to BB. now will he connect who knows, but he will have the opportunity.

My other WR's are Fitz, G Jennings and B Edwards so Berrian is a backup, He did OK last week.

:D

It's about (the really bad word)ing time, tho' I'm sure this weekend runs the risk of getting ugly, as the Vikes are no slouch on D and he'll have rust no doubt.

And just so people understand what his stat line was all about: the year he played, his rookie year, he barely go any work in preseason. You see, that was the year the Bears were rolling into the season with Chad Hutchinson calling the shots behind center after Rex went down in the first week of preseason and he he to get all the work in the remaining preseason games.

Much like opponents have done when he has been on the field; QB Chad Hutchinson was sacked by his own team, the Chicago Bears, Sunday, Aug. 28, as the team benched him in favor of rookie QB Kyle Orton. Not only was Hutchinson benched, his future with the team is now in question as he's fallen to at least third on the pecking order - battling with Kurt Kittner - and could be outright released soon. The backup duties will be handled by veteran Jeff Blake, who was recently signed.

Hutchinson completed just three of 14 passes for 33 yards and two interceptions in the Bears' latest preseason game. While he was supposed to play into the second half, the team came out with Orton after halftime, and he led the team on a scoring drive immediately. The rookie quarterback has seemed to land the backing of his teammates and energized the crowd during the preseason. However, he will now have to find a way to keep moving forward with the NFL regular season almost upon us.

That half was about the extent of his playing time, as his first ever start was a real game. They started 1-3, but won 8 straight before Grossman came back and funked up the mojo.

Orton's 15 starts and 10 victories are both rookie records for Bears quarterbacks, and the 10 victories are the second most in the NFL since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, behind only Ben Roethlisberger's 14 victories in 2004.

In short, on a team starved for QBs for 40+ years, he is an enigma wrapped in a riddle which bears solving with 3 games left. Keep in mind the list of starters the Bears have trotted out since Favre took over the Pack.

Will Furrer

Jim Harbaugh

Peter Tom Willis

Shane Matthews

Erik Kramer

Steve Walsh

Steve Stenstrom

Dave Krieg

Rick Mirer

Moses Moreno

Cade McNown

Jim Miller