[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick's comeback

weebo

But what about my asthma?

GUARD! GUARD! I NEED MY INHALER! GUAAAAAAAAAAARD!

Again, you are assuming Blank knows the "connection" between fried chicken and black people. I'm willing to bet he has no clue about it.

:D Blank lives in Atlanta, Georgia. You can bet he knows what it means. The population is more black than white. And I am sure Blank has been given the run down, as an owner, on what not to say when it comes to being "PC". Ever heard of Marge Schott?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember that part.

We might be talking about two different things. I am sure you are talking about a movie, but I was talking about the couple days I had to spend in jail...and there is always that guy who is bout to die because he "needs his ______", and is yelling for the guard constantly...never mind.

Don't drink and drive :D

Two comments - 1) don't compare Blank and Zoeller because that's a huge disservice to Blank. Zoeller was making a "funny to him" racist joke at the time. If you don't believe that, go find it. He knew exactly what he was saying, and was joking aroudn with a group of white reporters, and thought it was funny....whether it's being oversensitive or not to go after him because of it, definitely not the same things as here.

2) believe everyone is missing the main point of what he saying which is in prison, he assumes (and so do I) they serve a lot of the same food over and over that isn't good for you if trying to keep in good overall shape. Now, why he choose fried chicken and fries for his example I don't know unless Vick and he had already talked about prison life a bit, but that's the point he was making.

come on, you can't be serious with this? of course he does, and while I don't think he meant anything negative or deragatory by the comment, and stuff like that does not bother me,

I was completely shocked when I heard it- a public figure like Blank should know better to not go down that road.

+1. Again, I'm not calling for the guys head or anything but c'mon. Who the hell doesn't know the fried chicken/black thing. I'm just saying, if they can fine a guy for not pulling up his socks, they can fine an owner for making a statement on TV that one doesn't need to stretch too hard to find off color.

Really, I'm more calling for action to show some degree of consistency, not because I'm outraged.

It was an innocent comment. Anyone who is blowing it out of proportion is either overly sensitive and Sharptonized or is a latent racist and overcompensating. Three pages of this thread speculating about whether Blank knew the connotation of what he said is really ridiculous.

Question: What is a white persons' food?

Blacks obviously have fried chicken and watermelon wrapped up.

Hispanics have tacos and mexican beans.

Asians have egg rolls, spring rolls, and rice.

What could be associated with whites?? I just want to know what I should be offended by. :D

Edited by millerx

2) believe everyone is missing the main point of what he saying which is in prison, he assumes (and so do I) they serve a lot of the same food over and over that isn't good for you if trying to keep in good overall shape. Now, why he choose fried chicken and fries for his example I don't know unless Vick and he had already talked about prison life a bit, but that's the point he was making.

+1

+1. Again, I'm not calling for the guys head or anything but c'mon. Who the hell doesn't know the fried chicken/black thing. I'm just saying, if they can fine a guy for not pulling up his socks, they can fine an owner for making a statement on TV that one doesn't need to stretch too hard to find off color.

Who the hell doesn't know how a bar code on a supermarket checkout works? The ex-President of the United States, that's who. Do not assume that everything is known by the entire population. I will bet you many dollars to one donut that Blank NEVER moves in circles where derogatory comments about fried chicken and blacks are heard, and I don't care where he lives.

Even if he does know, it is more than clear that he was referring to prison food, as XM points out above.

What could be associated with whites?? I just want to know what I should be offended by. :D

reservations?

I also want to add... what if Vick, does in fact, have a weakness for fried chicken. If so, its a relevent statement.

+1

Who the hell doesn't know how a bar code on a supermarket checkout works? The ex-President of the United States, that's who. Do not assume that everything is known by the entire population. I will bet you many dollars to one donut that Blank NEVER moves in circles where derogatory comments about fried chicken and blacks are heard, and I don't care where he lives.

Even if he does know, it is more than clear that he was referring to prison food, as XM points out above.

So, le tme get this straight, a rich, white CEO like Blank knows that fried chicken is served in prison, but he can't make the black/fried chicken stereotype connection??? :D right....................................

completely unrelated to the comment, but

not suggesting Blank has a racist bone in his body- but he moves in EXACTLY the circles where derogatory racist comments and jokes are most prevalant- are you kidding me? rich, middle aged white men in my experience growing up in with the country-club set.

100% gurantee you Blank has heard his share of racist jokes amongst his buddies..........

cmon this is ridiculous. I think it was just a slip of the tongue- fine, whatever- it just surprised the hell out of me to hear it, that is all I am sayin.

Has he said anything about it....cause I'll be honest, while I assume he was talkign about prison food and used it to point out it isn't going to keep him in shape with no other intent, fried chicken and fries is not the first (or even 10th) thing I'd probably come up with if discussing common prison food....

and there is NO WAY blank doesn't know the connection - throw everythign else out, he's a well informed person with ties to the athletic community...I guarantee you bring up Fuzzy Zoeller, Tiger Woods and chicken, he knows exactly what you are talking about

So, le tme get this straight, a rich, white CEO like Blank knows that fried chicken is served in prison, but he can't make the black/fried chicken stereotype connection??? :D right....................................

completely unrelated to the comment, but

not suggesting Blank has a racist bone in his body- but he moves in EXACTLY the circles where derogatory racist comments and jokes are most prevalant- are you kidding me? rich, middle aged white men in my experience growing up in with the country-club set.

100% gurantee you Blank has heard his share of racist jokes amongst his buddies..........

cmon this is ridiculous. I think it was just a slip of the tongue- fine, whatever- it just surprised the hell out of me to hear it, that is all I am sayin.

He wasn't rich his whole life.He's not from "old" money. He use to work in a small hardware store with his buddy Bernie Marcus. The two of them set out to start Home Depot when the store the worked for went under. And unless you travel in the circles, all you are doing is PRESUMING that the derogatory comments are more prevelant in the rich middle-aged white men. That said, I agree with the rest of the comments.

Hamburger Helper or anything that comes already made? I never had "Lunchables" when I was a kid, but all the white kids did! But then again I was the only black kid at my school... :D

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Pork chops, BBQ and chitlins.

Meat loaf and mashed potatoes,

Shake n Bake pork chops with Au Gratin potatoes.

Sloppy Joes and tater tots.

King crab legs and beer (my personal fave).

Italians are associated with liking pasta. I can't imagine being offended by someone saying to me " go eat some pasta". The whole thing is silly. As if what you eat can be denigrating in any way. Now if he said fried dog legs that could be offensive. Almost everyone likes fried chicken and watermelon. How is being associated w/ a food offensive? It's not like that it is some known fact that fried chicken eaters are serial killers or some other bad connotation. Racism will never go away if people don't let it.