[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick's comeback

weebo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is hereby nominated for Most Pathetically Third Grade Thread of the Year.

Those who think this is a big deal - there really are millions of people out there who move in circles where black people and fried chicken aren't instantaneously connected.

This thread is hereby nominated for Most Pathetically Third Grade Thread of the Year.

Those who think this is a big deal - there really are millions of people out there who move in circles where black people and fried chicken aren't instantaneously connected.

I am not getting the impression that there are a lot of folks that think this is (in itself) really a big deal. Moreso, I get the feeling many here feel it is a very meaningless thing that was said that is going to get blown extremely out of proportion and that is what has people concerned.

I didnt read anything into the comment, but I immediately thought there are people who would. Perhaps that means I am part of the problem, too. :D

Screw VICK! I hope he is in prison right now getting fisted on a nightly basis that piece of @$%^. Futhermore I hope anyone of those pieces of #^#$@ who wore his number or showed support all get their balls bitten off by a pitbull.

Did you know the original Lassie is dead?

Why is fried chicken a "black" thing first of all? I love the stuff and I'm white. Second, why is it wrong in the context of him staying in shape (because FRIED chicken isn't known to not be the healthiest thing in the world)? Third, if he had said the same thing about a white player going to prison, would you have the same reaction?

I think we look/listen too hard sometimes. Political correctness is so invasive right now, we don't even consider other meanings for things.

+1

He should have said Spring Rolls instead of Fried Chicken. :D

Oh, I know.

Remember when Fuzzy Zoeller said the same kind of thing about Tiger Woods? A lot of people made a hugh deal about it but Tiger manned up and blew it off.

That's because Tiger is more white than most white people. I will say this though...you never saw them paired up after that, nor are they "friends" now.

Why is fried chicken a "black" thing first of all? I love the stuff and I'm white. Second, why is it wrong in the context of him staying in shape (because FRIED chicken isn't known to not be the healthiest thing in the world)? Third, if he had said the same thing about a white player going to prison, would you have the same reaction?

I think we look/listen too hard sometimes. Political correctness is so invasive right now, we don't even consider other meanings for things.

Being of mixed race, I got the whole "you eat watermelon and fried chicken" thing all my life. That being said. When you hear it in the context of STEREOTYPING, then it hits close to home. I think it's like saying all Asian people can't drive. Even though it's true, it's insensitive. I love friend Chicken. I love watermelon. And I would not be offended if one of my white friends invited me to dinner, and made BOTH....but this is a racially sensitive case in the first place, so maybe he should have used a better choice of words. But I don't think he meant ANYTHING by it...Just my opinion

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

I am not getting the impression that there are a lot of folks that think this is (in itself) really a big deal. Moreso, I get the feeling many here feel it is a very meaningless thing that was said that is going to get blown extremely out of proportion and that is what has people concerned.

I didnt read anything into the comment, but I immediately thought there are people who would. Perhaps that means I am part of the problem, too. :D

I thought why does he have to stay in shape now? He has a year and a half to sit before he has to worry about it. Unless the NFL is planning on showing prison games.

This is my take on it. All in all, I don't think the mere association between Vick and fried chicken makes Mr. Blank KKK. However, dude still needs to watch what the hell he says. I mean, honestly. As has been pointed out, that's pretty much a dead heat with Watermelon for "most black food" out there. The context in which it was said matters as well. Dude just got sent to prison. This is big freaking deal for the NFL. I can't remember such a high profile player being sent to prison right in the middle of his career before. Thus, emotions are high. Had this been some random playful comment said during training camp. For instance, a white coach and a black player who get along well and the coach makes some crack to him about "too much fried chicken this summer" and they both laugh it off, then you've got to let it go. In this case, I think the NFL needs to do something, even if rather token.

What I'm curious about is, what will the NFL do? I mean, this is the most controlling, paranoid business out there. Dude's get fined for not pulling their socks up or tucking in their spamshirts. P Manning got fined for wearing black shoes in honor of Johnny U. If they don't drop a fine on Blank for saying something that could incite anger among the black community...

This is my take on it. All in all, I don't think the mere association between Vick and fried chicken makes Mr. Blank KKK. However, dude still needs to watch what the hell he says. I mean, honestly. As has been pointed out, that's pretty much a dead heat with Watermelon for "most black food" out there. The context in which it was said matters as well. Dude just got sent to prison. This is big freaking deal for the NFL. I can't remember such a high profile player being sent to prison right in the middle of his career before. Thus, emotions are high. Had this been some random playful comment said during training camp. For instance, a white coach and a black player who get along well and the coach makes some crack to him about "too much fried chicken this summer" and they both laugh it off, then you've got to let it go. In this case, I think the NFL needs to do something, even if rather token.

What I'm curious about is, what will the NFL do? I mean, this is the most controlling, paranoid business out there. Dude's get fined for not pulling their socks up or tucking in their spamshirts. P Manning got fined for wearing black shoes in honor of Johnny U. If they don't drop a fine on Blank for saying something that could incite anger among the black community...

+1

I think anyone who takes this for anything has too much time on their hands.

I think anyone who takes this for anything has too much time on their hands.

Too many people are looking for something that justifies their own thinking rather than discern what Blank meant by the comments.

Superficial VS substance is what we've become media-wise. The media is more tabloid than reality anyway.

Again, you are assuming Blank knows the "connection" between fried chicken and black people. I'm willing to bet he has no clue about it.

Again, you are assuming Blank knows the "connection" between fried chicken and black people. I'm willing to bet he has no clue about it.

come on, you can't be serious with this? of course he does, and while I don't think he meant anything negative or deragatory by the comment, and stuff like that does not bother me,

I was completely shocked when I heard it- a public figure like Blank should know better to not go down that road.