[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chad Johnson's Future

Savage Beatings

Just listening to KFAN this morning, and thought that it was interesting that they were talking pretty extensively about the possibility of the Vikings trying to make a play for Chad Johnson. Apparently Ocho Cinco has been pretty vocal recently about his displeasure with the Bengals. He thinks that they are all blaming him for the team's troubles lately. With that, the rumor is that the Bengals would possibly be interested in moving him for as little as a 3rd Round pick. Now, that seems way low to me, but they were saying that the reason is that Chad doesn't have much of a market for himself out there right now. One of the sources that KFAN cited for their information was Florio at PFT... so take that for what it's worth.

I know that things like this never seem to amount to anything more than wild rumors, but I just love the thought of getting Chad Johnson in Minnesota! I love it even more if we could get someone of his caliber for dirt cheap. :D

Even taking Minnesota out the picture... do you think Chad Johnson returns to the Bengals, or do you think they try to move him? Thoughts?

Edited by Savage Beatings

I'm not even convinced he's the #1 WR in Cincy right now. Dunno how well he'd fit in in Minny - he really needs a better QB than Jackson and for damn sure he won't exactly be Mr Patient while Jackson develops.

No chance he would be happy with just winning in Minny (if they do)? And I thought the jury was still out on Tarvaris... He's not exactly a veteran.

Doesnt his contract go with him if traded? Cutting him would be a cap hit, but I dont think trading has anything to do with cap hits.

The hit is the same on the signing-bonus portion. Teams usually pro-rate the salary-cap hit on the signing bonus throught the length of the contract. But if they trade or cut that player before June, they have to use all of the remaining salary-cap hit amount to that year's cap. After June 1, they can defer the remaining amount after that year to the following year's salary cap. Since it was a signing bonus with the old team, the new team does not assume any of it.

Edited by Big John

The hit is the same on the signing-bonus portion. Teams usually pro-rate the salary-cap hit on the signing bonus throught the length of the contract. But if they trade or cut that player before June, they have to use all of the remaining salary-cap hit amount to that year's cap. After June 1, they can defer the remaining amount after that year to the following year's salary cap. Since it was a signing bonus with the old team, the new team does not assume any of it.

I stand corrected. :D

Thanks BJ.

The idea of a receiver of Johnson's caliber here in MN is exciting. However, as others have stated previously, I dont think CJ is interested in being a part of a QB learning the position which is still very much what Jackson is doing. Johnson wants the ball as much as he can get it because he wants to put on a show. I dont think he would be a good fit for the KAO at this point.

The idea of a receiver of Johnson's caliber here in MN is exciting. However, as others have stated previously, I dont think CJ is interested in being a part of a QB learning the position which is still very much what Jackson is doing. Johnson wants the ball as much as he can get it because he wants to put on a show. I dont think he would be a good fit for the KAO at this point.

You know, if he comes up here and then ends up in New England :D

I was trying to find a quote from this year where Palmer was saying CJ can't run routes and has no skills besides his speed ... and I learned that "Palmer Johnson" makes luxury yachts. I had no idea.

I do think there is a big rift between CJ and Palmer. And Marvin Lewis stopped being honest with the press after John Madden repeated something he shouldn't have a couple years ago ... heck, Lewis was telling the local media that there would be no coaching changes right up until they fired the defensive coordinator (I believe the Columbus paper broke the story). I just think CJ's whining, as well as Palmer's statements about needing to make some changes, both kinda stem from a relationship that has grown very sour. So, I think anything could happen.

I'm hoping they can hug it out in the offseason. If not ... well, if he can keep his nose clean, I could see Chris Henry stepping into Ocho Cinco's shoes pretty easily ... And I think that's part of CJ's unhappiness, too.

I was trying to find a quote from this year where Palmer was saying CJ can't run routes and has no skills besides his speed ... and I learned that "Palmer Johnson" makes luxury yachts. I had no idea.

I do think there is a big rift between CJ and Palmer. And Marvin Lewis stopped being honest with the press after John Madden repeated something he shouldn't have a couple years ago ... heck, Lewis was telling the local media that there would be no coaching changes right up until they fired the defensive coordinator (I believe the Columbus paper broke the story). I just think CJ's whining, as well as Palmer's statements about needing to make some changes, both kinda stem from a relationship that has grown very sour. So, I think anything could happen.

I'm hoping they can hug it out in the offseason. If not ... well, if he can keep his nose clean, I could see Chris Henry stepping into Ocho Cinco's shoes pretty easily ... And I think that's part of CJ's unhappiness, too.

I've had CJ's back for a while now, but I soured on him after the ESPN interview. Its grown increasingly about him and less about the team. If they can get a first day pick for him, I wouldn't be sorry to see him go.

If I was GM of the Giants I would be thinking real hard about a 3rd rounder for CJ. Toomer isn't getting any younger and I'm not convinced that any of our younger receivers are game breakers. Having Plax is nice, having Plax AND CJ would be scary.